Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Travel Trailers
Click Here to Login

Old 10-26-2018, 05:35 PM   #1
Tufelhunden

Water heater leaking

The last trip I took in the TT we were without hook ups and using the pump and propane only to heat the water heater.

I noticed while showering the water after it got hot at the shower head would cycle between lukewarm, at best, and hot. At first I thought it was just a peculiarity of a TT and the pump. However,I noticed while the DW was showering we have water gushing out the pressure valve. It also was coming out, but not as much, after the shower was complete. More like a small drip that stopped. We were at 4500 feet, if that matters.

The trailer is new so I'm hoping it's covered under warranty, but was curious about the consensus. I'm guessing bad water pressure valve, although, it could be getting too hot as well.
Tufelhunden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2018, 06:16 PM   #2
chuckster57
Site Team

I would try cycling the pressure relief valve first. You may have lost the air gap needed.

Turn off the water heater. Open the pressure relief valve, and the HOT side low poin drain. Let it run for a couple minutes. Then close the pressure relief valve, and turn off the low point drain.

Turn on the water pump and then turn on any faucet HOT side. You’ll get air and that’s good, let it run until you get just water again. Turn off the faucet and turn on the water heater. If that doesn’t fix it, then I would be looking at the pressure relief valve.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2018, 06:49 PM   #3
Tufelhunden

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckster57 View Post
I would try cycling the pressure relief valve first. You may have lost the air gap needed.

Turn off the water heater. Open the pressure relief valve, and the HOT side low poin drain. Let it run for a couple minutes. Then close the pressure relief valve, and turn off the low point drain.

Turn on the water pump and then turn on any faucet HOT side. You’ll get air and that’s good, let it run until you get just water again. Turn off the faucet and turn on the water heater. If that doesn’t fix it, then I would be looking at the pressure relief valve.
I'll give that a shot. Thanks!!
Old 10-29-2018, 04:59 AM   #4
Miles65

Water was gushing out of the relief valve? Assuming you know the open from closed position, simply replace the valve. It's bad. Very easy procedure. Just make sure the water heater is off, the water off, and the pressure released before you wrench the old valve off.
Miles65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2018, 06:26 AM   #5
ChuckS

My bet is also lost air gap inside the water heater tank.

2007 GMC Classic club cab 4x4 Duramax LBZ
2014 Alpine 3010 RE. 34 foot fifth wheel
ChuckS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2018, 06:55 AM   #6
ChuckS

Watch video #2 in this series. It will give you a better understanding of how the water heater works

ChuckS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2018, 06:04 PM   #7
Tufelhunden

Chuck can't render if I thanked you or not but I will try this. Thanks.

Tags
heat, heater, leak, water, water heater