Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Lite Weight Trailers
Click Here to Login

Old 10-24-2017, 08:24 AM   #1
teambovine

Ladder/Roof Premier 22rbpr

Have a ladder on the back of the 2014 Premier 22rbpr we just purchased. Assume ladder capacity is 250-300 lbs, though the mount in the center does not seem very sturdy (there is no water damage). Also, would like to know if the roof is walkable. Thanks!
teambovine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2017, 08:35 AM   #2
sourdough
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by teambovine View Post
Have a ladder on the back of the 2014 Premier 22rbpr we just purchased. Assume ladder capacity is 250-300 lbs, though the mount in the center does not seem very sturdy (there is no water damage). Also, would like to know if the roof is walkable. Thanks!

If the ladder is there it generally indicates it is a walkable roof. The ladders aren't very sturdy. When I bought my trailer new the ladder mounts were all loose (except on the roof) and I had to tighten them. Even then the top handle got bent from a heavy handed employee at CW going up and down to clean and treat the roof. If I'm going to use the ladder for anything I place a separate ladder next to it and just use the top couple of rungs to hopefully reduce any chance of overloading or bending it.
sourdough is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2017, 12:47 PM   #3
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by teambovine View Post
.. Assume ladder capacity is 250-300 lbs, though the mount in the center does not seem very sturdy...Also, would like to know if the roof is walkable. Thanks!
Most "name brand" roof ladders are manufactured by Stromberg-Carlson. According to the e-trailer website, most S-C ladders are rated at 250 pounds. Some of the other brands are rated between 220 and 250. CW answered one customer's question about rating on the S-C with a response indicating it was rated at 220 pounds. So, knowing that Keystone installs mostly "lowest bid" items, I'd try to locate a part number on the ladder that's installed on your trailer and go to the manufacturer's website to get information on the capacity.

As for a capacity of 250-300 pounds. I've never seen a roof ladder rated more than 250 pounds, so expecting a rating of 300 pounds is probably very optimistic and not something you'll find on an OEM ladder.

Any RV roof, even those that are marketed as "walkable" have limits. What someone in marketing feels is "walkable" and what a 6'3" 325 pound man considers "walkable" are going to be different. All of the automobile manufacturers consider a passenger weight to be 150 pounds. Looking around, most of us weigh significantly more than that, so believing a roof weight capacity to be "more than a conservative weight" may be stretching more than the manufacturer's claims can support. In any case, a 175-200 pound owner should be "OK on the roof" if careful and taking "due diligence" into consideration. Just "walking around without caution" is likely to be a "big risk" on any RV.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2017, 02:09 PM   #4
teambovine

Thanks, guys. I'm195 but never like to push things. I can always say it's not sufficient to get my 125 lb wife up there!
Old 10-24-2017, 04:45 PM   #5
B-O-B'03

I have the same trailer and it did not come with a ladder, in fact I do not believe I have ever seen this model trailer with a ladder on it... perhaps it was installed by the previous owner?

After looking at how the back wall of mine is constructed, I would not put a ladder on it and I am pretty sure the roof is not very stout.

Let us know how it goes.

-Brian
Old 10-25-2017, 02:19 AM   #6
teambovine

Now that you mention it, Brian, I've never seen another one either. Mostly it would be used to put the cover on, maybe we'll use a step ladder. Thanks.
Old 10-25-2017, 03:06 AM   #7
SteveC7010

My Cougar has a plywood mounting plate under the filon for the ladder. If you can feel a large solid area under the filon on the rear of the trailer, it is highly likely that is there for the ladder. Other areas of the rear won't have the plate and will feel spongy when you press on the surface.

I do that same as sourdough. I lean my 10' ladder on the trailer ladder. It is just wide enough to fit outside the trailer ladder's verticals so it can't slide left or right.

The 10' ladder has those painter's soft tips on it and can be safely leaned up against any part of the trailer except a door or window. Most of the time, I just need to get high enough to view the roof and reach things right around the perimeter. I don't get up there on the roof if at all possible.

'11 Cougar 326MKS loaded with mods
'12 Ford F250 SuperCab 6.7 PowerStroke Diesel
Amateur Radio: KD2IAT (146.520) GMRS: WQPG808 (462.675 TPL 141.3)
SteveC7010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2017, 06:10 PM   #8
chartrand

I have that same year 22 RBPR and it did not come with a ladder either. I have been on my roof for maintenance and while walking If I missed a truss I could hear the thin plywood cracking. So if you do go on your roof be sure to take something to displace your weight. If you purchased this used, it is possible the previous owner put on a new roof and upgraded the plywood to something thicker.

2014 Keystone Bullet Premier 22RBPR
2017 Chevy Colorado (Baby Duramax)
Propride P3 Hitch
chartrand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2017, 02:10 AM   #9
Tinner12002

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRTJH View Post
Most "name brand" roof ladders are manufactured by Stromberg-Carlson. According to the e-trailer website, most S-C ladders are rated at 250 pounds. Some of the other brands are rated between 220 and 250. CW answered one customer's question about rating on the S-C with a response indicating it was rated at 220 pounds. So, knowing that Keystone installs mostly "lowest bid" items, I'd try to locate a part number on the ladder that's installed on your trailer and go to the manufacturer's website to get information on the capacity.

As for a capacity of 250-300 pounds. I've never seen a roof ladder rated more than 250 pounds, so expecting a rating of 300 pounds is probably very optimistic and not something you'll find on an OEM ladder.

Any RV roof, even those that are marketed as "walkable" have limits. What someone in marketing feels is "walkable" and what a 6'3" 325 pound man considers "walkable" are going to be different. All of the automobile manufacturers consider a passenger weight to be 150 pounds. Looking around, most of us weigh significantly more than that, so believing a roof weight capacity to be "more than a conservative weight" may be stretching more than the manufacturer's claims can support. In any case, a 175-200 pound owner should be "OK on the roof" if careful and taking "due diligence" into consideration. Just "walking around without caution" is likely to be a "big risk" on any RV.

With all that being said I guess I better keep my phat a$% @ 250# off of my RV...LOL!
Tinner12002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2017, 02:45 AM   #10
gunner1

My 2014 22rbpr did not come with a ladder either. Maybe yours was put on by previous owner. Make sure it has screws into the studs not just the siding
gunner1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2017, 06:33 AM   #11
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tinner12002 View Post
With all that being said I guess I better keep my phat a$% @ 250# off of my RV...LOL!
I weight about 190 (with big feet supporting that weight) and I agree with you. Keystone claims "it's a walkable roof" but every time I climb up there, I think: "Is this the time I slip and a foot goes through the OSB?".... YMMV

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ladder, roof