Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Modifications and Upgrades
Click Here to Login

Old 09-24-2018, 02:19 PM   #21
bfisher003

We always run with our reefer running on propane.
bfisher003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2018, 03:13 PM   #22
Local150

Quote:
Originally Posted by bfisher003 View Post
We always run with our reefer running on propane.
Me too, have never had a problem with keeping it lit either
Local150 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2018, 05:06 PM   #23
Gegrad

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronhuff59 View Post
Keep it on while travelling unless required otherwise by your DOT like on specific tunnels and such.
This is the most succinct, best answer you can get.
Gegrad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2018, 07:28 AM   #24
larryflew

What you have heard is probably due to mfgs etc legal team regarding their insurance should you want to sue if the oddball thing happens. A CYA for sure. Set to Auto and let her go.
larryflew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2018, 07:47 AM   #25
BadmanRick

First of all to run your refrigerator on AC while traveling you would need at least a 1000 watt inverter. The refrigerator has a 325 watt AC heater. I tried using a 400 watt inverter and it did not run the refrigerator. Even though it had an 800 watt surg rating. Tried a 750 watt and again it didn’t work. A 1000 watt worked but it ran the battery down extremely fast. The vehicle would not charge the battery sufficiently to maintain it. You would have to put a large battery bank which defeats the purpose.
Turn in the propane and let it run.
BadmanRick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2018, 08:25 AM   #26
Froglaw

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by DENBRO View Post
I have a 2017 Bullet Ultralight 220RBI. It is recommended to turn off fridge and propane while traveling. I have a solar generator (battery) with a 30 amp RV receptacle. Question: is it feasible (Will it work) to connect the external power cord into the battery to run the refrigerator and, if so, where and how do I access the cord from INSIDE the trailer so I can plug it into the battery as we cruise down the road? I said it was an odd question.

I've got a Bullet 26 feet. Auto setting and roll. Summer 2017 I drove the Alcan all the way to Deadhorse. Two flat trailer tires, blew out the single 31 inch leaf springs, and the dogs got sick from eating foxtails. Fridge worked the whole time.
Froglaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2018, 10:10 AM   #27
UsTwo

I also run with propane on. But, on my last travel trlr. I did not. for what ever reason I thought it not a good idea..After getting the RV home and pluging it in and getting the fridge cold and stocked. I would then take frozen water (ice) in pencil boxes, or cooler ice packs and put them in the fridge/freezer. geez was I really saving propane by doing that..?? I don't think so..I guess sometimes one reads into something that hits that sweet spot.. Don't ask about the RV Wind Generators I was looking at to keep batteries charged up..while going down the road and at a campground...

Craig
Kathie
2013 Keystone Cougar
X-Lite 31 RKS
UsTwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2018, 03:35 PM   #28
abearago

If I turn off the propane, how does that stop the igniter from igniting. Should the refrigerator be turned off also.
abearago is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2018, 03:46 PM   #29
travelin texans

Quote:
Originally Posted by abearago View Post
If I turn off the propane, how does that stop the igniter from igniting. Should the refrigerator be turned off also.
There should be 4 settings on your fridge control panel, AC, LP, AU (AUTO) or OFF. If you don't want the fridge to run while traveling set it to OFF otherwise choose the appropriate setting, which in my case is always set to AUTO unless it's in storage.
All this brings up another good topic for someone to start this time of year, do you run your furnace while traveling? Obviously for me if I run the fridge while traveling then you bet I'm running the furnace. If I had an onboard generator I'd run the acs while traveling as well.
Replacement undetermined
travelin texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2018, 03:50 PM   #30
B&T_NF-NY

I also thought that you shouldn't run the fridge while towing - you know, propane lines open, and needing the fridge to be level and such. Ok this is good news! One question ; only our second year RVing, and we have only used electric. About how much propane would you go through in a 8 to 10 hour trip? By the way this forum is a tremendous resource . . MANY THANKS TO ALL
B&T_NF-NY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2018, 04:06 PM   #31
bob91yj

The amount of propane burned through in that length of time would be insignificant.
bob91yj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2018, 04:13 PM   #32
B&T_NF-NY

Thanks again for your help and advice
B&T_NF-NY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2018, 05:12 PM   #33
abearago

My point was the propane is not igniting the gas fumes but the refrigerator was. The propane is the source and I need a spark to start the fire ect. Turn off the propane, pull into refuel spot, refrigerator demands a spark and we still could have a fire.
abearago is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2018, 06:04 PM   #34
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by abearago View Post
My point was the propane is not igniting the gas fumes but the refrigerator was. The propane is the source and I need a spark to start the fire ect. Turn off the propane, pull into refuel spot, refrigerator demands a spark and we still could have a fire.
Theoretically, that possibility "might" happen... one time. If you remember the refrigerator sequence of operations, when the thermistor senses a need for cooling, the control panel initiates the ignition sequence. After three attempts at ignition. If the flame sensor does not detect ignition, a lockout occurs, the refrigerator check light comes on and the ignition sequence is interrupted. It won't reinitiate until the refrigerator is manually turned off and then back to on and then, only if the refrigerator is set to LP or shore power is disconnected. So, for your spark to occur, it would have to be the "first time the thermistor calls for cooling" since the propane had been turned off. Otherwise, the lockout would have already occurred and the refrigerator check light would be on and the ignition function disabled by the control board.

Essentially, it would take a "perfect storm" for the spark to occur at the same time as pulling into the refueling spot.

It's not "impossible" that you could pull into a refueling spot, refrigerator demands a spark and you could have a fire..... But, the likelihood of the "perfect storm" is extremely remote. Besides, with most floorplans, the refrigerator is not within 25' of the refueling door on the tow vehicle, lessening the possibility even further that the "one time before lockout" of the refrigerator might occur where fumes are present.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2018, 06:21 PM   #35
travelin texans

Quote:
Originally Posted by B&T_NF-NY View Post
I also thought that you shouldn't run the fridge while towing - you know, propane lines open, and needing the fridge to be level and such. Ok this is good news! One question ; only our second year RVing, and we have only used electric. About how much propane would you go through in a 8 to 10 hour trip? By the way this forum is a tremendous resource . . MANY THANKS TO ALL
About the same amount as refilling your Bic lighter.
Your furnace is the biggest gas hog, if cold it'll go through a 20# bottle in about 3 days.
Replacement undetermined
travelin texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2018, 06:35 PM   #36
chuckster57
Site Team

If you have the standard 6cubic foot refer, we tested and as long as you have 12V to operate the control board, a single 7 gal cylinder will last 30 days.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2018, 07:01 AM   #37
Local150

Quote:
Originally Posted by B&T_NF-NY View Post
Not enough to measure,, especially if your frig is already cold
Local150 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2018, 02:37 PM   #38
shermris

Turning off your propane and refrigerator is optional. The reason some recommend this practice is that if you were in an accident such as a rollover your propane could cause an explosion. I travel with mine on. I don't want to lug along a cooler full of ice and wait 3 hours for the refrigerator to get cold. I specifically ask my dealer the question about travelling with the propane on and he stated that it was a generally safe and approved practice.
shermris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2018, 02:45 PM   #39
shermris

I have traveled about 2000 miles, (30 plus hours), this summer with my propane on and camped for approximately 4 weeks and I'm still on my first tank. I haven't checked the level since I returned from our last 700 mile camping trip but I will check the tank level before my next trip. The refrigerator is very propane efficient appliance. The one device that will chew through your propane is your furnace. I travel with a small 1000 watt electric heater that is sufficient for nearly all of my heating needs.
shermris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2018, 06:59 PM   #40
flybouy
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by shermris View Post
Turning off your propane and refrigerator is optional. The reason some recommend this practice is that if you were in an accident such as a rollover your propane could cause an explosion. I travel with mine on. I don't want to lug along a cooler full of ice and wait 3 hours for the refrigerator to get cold. I specifically ask my dealer the question about travelling with the propane on and he stated that it was a generally safe and approved practice.
Possible but I don't think very probable. A severed lp hose or line would cause the valve on any modern tank to shut off. If you want to eliminate all the fire risks then you would have to remove every aerosol propellent. Hairy spray, bug spray, cooking sprays, etc. And don't forget to get gel batteries and if you have a fuel station in a toy hauler you better change out that gas tank for a NASCAR approved fuel cell. I have no idea the rate of lp related fires per rv crash but I'd bet it's pretty rare. Maybe a "safety expert" or "crash engineer" will chime in. Seems like there's an abundance of "experts" on the forum.
flybouy is online now   Reply With Quote