Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Community Forums > Campgrounds & Destinations
Click Here to Login

Old 09-28-2018, 11:42 PM   #1
FlyingAroundRV

3 months, 11,000 miles, 900 gallons of gas...

As most people here would know, we travelled to the US this year to buy a TT and a truck to do some touring in the US.
We started in Dallas looking for a truck (we already picked out the trailer last year) with a list of about 16 trucks gathered from Cars Gurus and Autotrader. I updated the list just before we left Oz and by the time we arrived in Dallas, we were told that one after the other truck had already been sold. I went to a large dealership that sells ex fleet vehicles and was told by the salesman that he had twice as many trucks on the lot the same time last year!
I guess it's all us boomers doing the same thing.
We did manage to find a really great truck about 160 miles out of Dallas. 13,000 miles and still under warranty, one owner, perfect condition.

Once we finalised the truck we made a dash to Elkhart IN where the trailer dealer is. We picked up the trailer and got a local hitch shop to supply and setup the hitch.

After we provisioned the trailer, we set off for the East coast.
First stop was West Virginia where we visited a coal mine in Beckley.

Then we headed into DC and went to the Air and Space museum at Dulles Airport. Also while we were in the area we stayed at Bull Run campground as part of the focus of this trip was to be some CW history.

Now, it starts to get a bit blurry, but we went to (not necessarily in order)
Washington DC - Whitehouse, Lincoln memorial and the Smithsonian

Shennandoah Valley (Big Meadow) - Luray caverns, CW museum at Newmarket, Covered bridge and fire tower lookout.

Hampton VA - Chesapeake bay bridge tunnel, Jamestown, Williamsburg (4th July), and Kitty Hawk, Chancellorsville, Cold Harbor, Mechanicsville,

Appomattox Courthouse

Charleston SC - Carriage ride around the old part of the city, Fort Sumter

Savannah GA - Bus tour around the city, Fort Pulaski

Fort Bragg - Airborne and Special Ops museum

St Augustine FL - Lighthouse and Castillo De San Marcos

Titusville - Kennedy Space Center

Lake Kissimmee - Disney Animal Kingdom, Disney Hollywood Studios

Oleno SP FL - Long story goes back to my childhood in FL

Okeefenokee Swamp

Warner Robbins GA - Airforce museum

Andersonville - CW prisoner of war camp and cemetary

Warm Springs GA - FDR's little Whitehouse

Kolomoki mounds park - Indian mounds

Selma AL - Went to the bridge from the movie, Cahaba (AL's original capital)

Moundville AL - Indian burial and ceremonial mounds

Houston MS - Visit a friend

Shreveport LA - Happy anniversary (Cajun food!)

Dallas TX - Minor repairs to TT fridge and truck, Dinosaur park. put rig in storage and then home.

I'm working from a faulty memory and as soon as I press send, I'll remember another half dozen things we did.

All in all, a really great trip. The truck and trailer went as well and better than we hoped. Looking forward to next year's trip. Part of it will be a return to Oshkosh.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN4902.jpg
Views:	140
Size:	451.8 KB
ID:	18697   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN6343.jpg
Views:	147
Size:	268.1 KB
ID:	18698  
2018 Outback 272UFL

https://www.youtube.com/user/TheCscotthendry
FlyingAroundRV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2018, 03:05 AM   #2
chuckster57
Site Team

It’s great to hear your enjoying our great country. Lots of wonderful memories being made, hope your taking lots of pictures. Keep us updated as you continue your journey.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2018, 04:03 AM   #3
FlyingAroundRV

Yeah, we took lots of pics and video. I'll be posting a video/slideshow on my YT channel as soon as I get it edited. It may end up to be multiple videos because of the number of places we visited.
I posted a video of last year's trip when we rented a Class C. Last year's trip was only 6 weeks. It showed me that a truck/trailer combo would be more to my liking than the class C.
We did some neat things last year like visiting the airforce's premier air museum in Dayton Ohio, taking the steam powered vehicle ferry across lake Michigan, and of course EAA airventure at Oshkosh.
If you have a look at our video(s) please leave a comment so we know you've stopped by.
2018 Outback 272UFL

https://www.youtube.com/user/TheCscotthendry
FlyingAroundRV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2018, 04:04 AM   #4
chuckster57
Site Team

Will do, continue your adventure

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2018, 06:43 AM   #5
Tbos

Sounds like a great trip. Glad it went well.
Tbos is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
gas