Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Community Forums > Campgrounds & Destinations
Click Here to Login

Old 02-10-2018, 08:40 AM   #1
hardinrob

Spring 2019 Trip

We are in the early planning stages for a trip in Spring 2019 to visit family/friends. Looking for recommendations for RV Parks (Full Hook Up/41ft 5th Wheel) for the following locations: Grand Canyon, Durango, CO, Salt Lake City, UT. Thanks in advance for your insight.
Old 02-10-2018, 09:29 AM   #2
jsmith948

Quote:
Originally Posted by hardinrob View Post
We are in the early planning stages for a trip in Spring 2019 to visit family/friends. Looking for recommendations for RV Parks (Full Hook Up/41ft 5th Wheel) for the following locations: Grand Canyon, Durango, CO, Salt Lake City, UT. Thanks in advance for your insight.
We have stayed at the KOA in Williams, AZ. Great place with lots to do in the historic town of Williams and you can catch the train to the Grand Canyon. In Durango, we stayed at the KOA as well. Nice folks, beautiful CG. Short drive to Mesa Verde.

Sent from my HTC6525LVW using Tapatalk

Jack & Marty
2018 Laredo 298 SRL
2011 F-250 SB Crew Cab 4x4 6.7L
jsmith948 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2018, 01:07 PM   #3
ken56

We stayed in Williams when we were at the GC and stayed at the Grand Canyon Railway RV park. We liked it and would stay again. SLC I would recommend the KOA. We have stayed at Mountain Shadows south of town in Draper and the sites were extremely tight. Can't say I would use them again.
ken56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2018, 02:16 AM   #4
hardinrob

Thanks for the information.
Old 02-11-2018, 05:21 AM   #5
Canonman

I see you're from TN. You didn't mention if you plan to visit the North Rim or South Rim or both at Grand Canyon. Here is a link that may help: https://www.nps.gov/grca/planyourvisit/camping.htm
The trailer village at S. Rim has the full hook-ups. And, you're right in the park.
North Rim I'd suggest Jachobs Lake RV for full service.
I've not stayed in Durango but have overnighted in Cortez (just west and close to Mesa Verde NP) A couple of suggestions are https://koa.com/campgrounds/cortez/ and Sleeping Ute RV Park just outside of Cortez https://www.google.com/search?q=ute%...E,lf:1,lf_ui:2
SLC has a nice park on the north end of town. Pony Express RV Park: https://highwaywestvacations.com/properties/ponyexpress
I have not stayed there but it looks nice and well kept.
Hope this helps
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	_MG_5310.jpg
Views:	108
Size:	349.3 KB
ID:	15295   Click image for larger version

Name:	_MG_1948 - Version 2.jpg
Views:	110
Size:	307.9 KB
ID:	15296   Click image for larger version

Name:	_MG_3903.jpg
Views:	127
Size:	359.9 KB
ID:	15297   Click image for larger version

Name:	_MG_5119.jpg
Views:	132
Size:	260.6 KB
ID:	15298  
I think the little voices in my head have started a chat group.
Canonman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2018, 05:36 AM   #6
Dave W

Sounds like our trip in both '15 and '16 (and maybe '18)

Grand Canyon -
If you can get a reservation, Trailer Village right in the Park is great. Park and walk a couple hundred yards to the free shuttle stop and you are set for the day
Grand Canyon Camper Village is right outside the main gate but except location, ain't much. We also stayed at Williams Circle Pines but that is a 60 mile haul to GC.

Durango There is a nice KOA just outside of town that we really enjoyed. At your 5ers length, they only have a few sites though and fill up quickly

Salt Lake City area - SLC is congested and can be a real bear to travel around but there is a good KOA in Ogden just North of the city but the Cedar City KOA South of town is much nicer for big rigs plus is fairly close to Zion and Byrce Canyon and not too far from several other NPs. Good restaurants in Cedar City as well as the best donuts ever at a grocery store just down the road from the CG.

This is only our opinions, others will have good suggestions too. One hint, things are further apart then you expect, so plan your driving days well

Maybe again, this year for us
Dave W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2018, 03:35 PM   #7
Joneoma

I live in Mancos, CO, 30 miles west of Durango and I would recommend Alpen Rose first and the KOA second for Durango. Also I would stay in Durango over Cortez, although if you are going to Mesa Verde NP the Mesa Verde RV Resort is nice, it is located just outside the park.
Joneoma is offline   Reply With Quote