Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Fifth Wheels
Click Here to Login

Notices

Old 09-10-2019, 08:16 PM   #11
travelin texans

Pay absolutely no attention to the RV dry weight, dry pin/hitch weights, brochure weights for truck or RV & do not take truck or RV salespersons word on any of the weights.
Use minimum of 20% of the GVWR to figure pin weight of a 5th wheel & payload from sticker on the individual truck of your choice.
From my experiences if you choose a 5th wheel 14k pounds or more get the 1 ton, srw or drw, diesel for payload & ease of towing.

travelin texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2019, 09:28 PM   #12
CWtheMan

The published hitch weight is a mandatory requirement for the trailer manufacturer to provide because it's necessary for vehicle certification.

Ultimately the consumer is 100% responsible for the trailer hitch weight.

There are all sorts of web pages to explore to establish an individual/hypothetical hitch weight for your particular trailer. However, the only factual figures you will find will be at some certified scales.

I've done the math on at least 65 Keystone fivers and 50 TTs published hitch/tongue weights. All were within a 3rd parties guesstimates.

Remember, for vehicle certification, the manufacturer's published/recommended hitch weight plus the load capacity of all vehicle certified GAWRs, when added together, MUST not be less than the trailers GVWR shown on the trailer's certification label.

CWtheMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2019, 07:50 AM   #13
wiredgeorge

Without being too technical here, why the heck did the OP ask the question without mentioning which 5th wheel model. Granted the F150 will very likely not cut it but we are in 100 percent blue-skying land without a little to go on. Now all that has been written is true but since the fella hasn't picked up the trailer, the scales option is off the table at this point. He would do well to mention his prospective trailer and get some of the wise folks taking a wag as to what truck would actually be happy pulling his new trailer. If I was buying a new 5th wheel, I would likely jump to a 1 ton and the weight of the 5th wheel would tell me how many rear wheels made sense. Once he gets the new truck AND trailer, off to the scales if there is any quesiton of hitch weight. My old beater F350 has a payload of about 4K lbs so I don't really care much about hitch weight and scales unless I contemplate the RV of my wifes dreams and then hitch weight would certainly come into play. She likes those residential fridges and front living room rigs... Very possibly dually land if we ever go that route.
2006 GL1800 Roadsmith Trike
wiredgeorge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2019, 08:06 AM   #14
Spletbr

All good points (your and everyone else’s). I don’t know what 5th wheel we’ll be getting yet. Doing some research but can’t really narrow it down until we get to the show tomorrow. Just trying to figure out that if I went with X with Y specs I would be fine with a 250 with a payload of Z. However, if we went for a bigger/heavier we’d need a one ton...

PS as the truck is also a daily driver it will be the 6 foot bed, gas
Spletbr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2019, 09:24 AM   #15
JRTJH
Site Team

Here's a "general assessment": Most half ton fifth wheels are OK with a gas 3/4 ton as long as you don't "option out the truck"... Platinum/King Ranch and similar "luxury trucks" lost significant payload with all the "bling"... If you want the "bling" then opt for a one ton model truck.

If you're looking at "standard weight" (bed slide models as opposed to closet slide models). Fifth wheels with "full height upstairs rooms" are in the standard weight class (in Keystone brands), then you'll probably need to opt for a one ton truck, possibly a dually if you're looking at the larger standard weight trailers (over about 35-36' floorplans).

If you want a diesel, then "cut to the chase" and buy a one ton truck. I've got a 3/4 ton diesel, with a 31' XLite Cougar, I'm maxed out in truck payload, even with the "rear kitchen model" which counterbalances much of the pin weight by placing the heaviest trailer equipment behind the axle.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 04:07 PM   #16
CaptnJohn

Quote:
Originally Posted by wiredgeorge View Post
Without being too technical here, why the heck did the OP ask the question without mentioning which 5th wheel model. Granted the F150 will very likely not cut it but we are in 100 percent blue-skying land without a little to go on. Now all that has been written is true but since the fella hasn't picked up the trailer, the scales option is off the table at this point. He would do well to mention his prospective trailer and get some of the wise folks taking a wag as to what truck would actually be happy pulling his new trailer. If I was buying a new 5th wheel, I would likely jump to a 1 ton and the weight of the 5th wheel would tell me how many rear wheels made sense. Once he gets the new truck AND trailer, off to the scales if there is any quesiton of hitch weight. My old beater F350 has a payload of about 4K lbs so I don't really care much about hitch weight and scales unless I contemplate the RV of my wifes dreams and then hitch weight would certainly come into play. She likes those residential fridges and front living room rigs... Very possibly dually land if we ever go that route.
So correct. I had a 2016 F350 diesel fuel until wifey got the front living, residential fridge, stackable washer/dryer and now a 2019 F350 dually is in the driveway.

CaptnJohn is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
hitch