Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Tow Vehicles
Click Here to Login

Old 08-20-2017, 09:50 AM   #41
Dave W

OK - I guess we all are kids at heart. If I need instant acceleration and a good seat of the pants kick from something well beyond 300 REAL Hp, I drag this thing out of the garage where it nestles 99.9% of the time. Now, why do I know or have a really good idea of that Hp? I chose all of the ingredients inside that engine with personal and 'loving' care (along with every other part on that car build). Then I 'did' the engine and transmission a second time, just because Electronics amount to a full MSD ignition system. Everything else is mechanical and all Ford repro, OEM or custom fab.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN1550.JPG
Views:	110
Size:	171.5 KB
ID:	13779   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN2614.jpg
Views:	116
Size:	174.1 KB
ID:	13780   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_0184.jpg
Views:	108
Size:	245.7 KB
ID:	13783  
Dave W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2017, 09:57 AM   #42
B-O-B'03

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave W View Post
OK - I guess we all are kids at heart. If I need instant acceleration and a good seat of the pants kick from something well beyond 300 REAL Hp, I drag this thing out of the garage where it nestles 99.9% of the time. Now, why do I know or have a really good idea of that Hp? I chose all of the ingredients inside that engine with personal and 'loving' care (along with every other part on that car build). Then I 'did' the engine and transmission a second time, just because Electronics amount to a full MSD ignition system. Everything else is mechanical and all Ford repro, OEM or custom fab.
Gorgeous car!

"kids" need their toys

-Brian
Old 08-20-2017, 10:16 AM   #43
JRTJH
Site Team

Dave W,

Great looking automobile. My DW just shakes her head when I start talking about wanting a new toy. So far I've been able to talk her into everything except an airplane. She has drawn the line at that and I'm afraid if I cross it I'll be "forever flying solo".... Hmmmmm

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2017, 10:53 AM   #44
Dave W

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRTJH View Post
Dave W,

Great looking automobile. My DW just shakes her head when I start talking about wanting a new toy. So far I've been able to talk her into everything except an airplane. She has drawn the line at that and I'm afraid if I cross it I'll be "forever flying solo".... Hmmmmm
Thanks.
I've not even talked airplanes as they are and have been forever outside the reach of my wallet's discretionary contents but my DW just lets me do whatever ..... and that car is one of the results. She understands the difference between a man and a boy is only the price of their toys. Thankfully
Dave W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2017, 10:56 AM   #45
madmaxmutt

Quote:
Originally Posted by bsmith0404 View Post
A couple points, yes there is still turbo lag on the trucks. The smaller turbos that are used in cars spool up much faster and the lag has been all but eliminated on some of them. The larger the turbo, the more air it takes to spool it up, the greater the lag.

As for the new cars and computers, I considered putting EFI on my 75 corvette when I built the motor, but I still enjoy old school stuff on an old school V8. I give it a comfortable mid altitude tune. Actually in NM I'm sitting at about 3500 feet so a good tune here still works well at sea level and at 8,000 ft. It may not perform as well at certain elevations, but 450 HP vs 400 HP is still fun to drive and moves along just fine.
Talk to your tuner about increasing throttle response
Any of them can fix that delay.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk
madmaxmutt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2017, 11:29 AM   #46
bsmith0404

Ok, here's my toy. It is a bit further along now, actually drivable at this point, but I needed room in the garage for some home remodeling projects so it's been tucked away safely back in the car trailer so no fresh pics. Plenty of throttle response, no electronics to get in the way, just a Holley carb dumping plenty of fuel down the high rise with wide open 2.02s to allow the flow being created by the 10:1 jugs.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0123.JPG
Views:	108
Size:	10.5 KB
ID:	13792  
bsmith0404 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2017, 01:17 PM   #47
Forza319

Hello all! I'm a long time lurker and first time poster. I do have a 2016 f150 with the 3.5 ecoboost towing a 2810BH. Have had the truck for over a year and put 2800 miles towing so far this summer. When buying this truck I definitely wanted the sweet sounding 5.0 but after driving both back to back I can definitely say the 3.5 was hands down better with its power delivery. The way the tranny slips a little off the line let's the turbos spool quick and you are off. Lag is minimal. Living in Colorado and towing up these passes was not a problem at all. I accelerated from 45 to 65 going up monarch pass at 9500 feet with no problem. Fuel mileage does suffer a lot when I am towing hard like that, around 10-12ish. But that's the price of making power. Off the line acceleration, the 5.0 can't touch it. The only downside to the 3.5 is the exhaust sound. It sounds like a leaf blower, but I'm willing to live with it for the power. Now if they made a supercharger to go with that coyote 5.0 I would have definitely gone that route.
Forza319 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2017, 03:22 PM   #48
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forza319 View Post
Hello all! I'm a long time lurker and first time poster. .... Now if they made a supercharger to go with that coyote 5.0 I would have definitely gone that route.
Welcome to the "visible part of the forum" !!! We're happy to have found a topic that would motivate you to start posting and we're glad you did LOL

As for that supercharged 5.0, Ford has been letting the rumors survive (they won't deny or confirm) that they are working on an EcoBoost 5.0 for the SuperDuty line as a replacement for the "aging 6.2L engine".. Whether there's any truth to it or not, who knows..... They also wouldn't confirm or deny the existence of plans for a diesel F150 and it's due in showrooms next spring, so there's hope for your "trade-in and upgrade" LOL

Welcome to the forum !!!

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2017, 04:02 PM   #49
Yak

This Ford tech chose a Dodge in 05, and I still have it
Old 08-29-2017, 04:27 PM   #50
madmaxmutt

Feel for ya .

madmaxmutt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2017, 04:39 PM   #51
Yak

Quote:
Originally Posted by madmaxmutt View Post
Feel for ya .

It was a Goldilocks thing, it gets the job done.