Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Tow Vehicles
Click Here to Login

Old 07-31-2017, 09:17 AM   #41
Desert185

What's the current flat rate for Ford cab removal? Probably more than transmission/transfer case removal...

Hope the tech rerouted or used a heat sleeve on the loom.

I just did a rear trans seal on a 4x4 Dodge Cummins. Glad it was the rear seal and not the front. Glad I'm not working flat rate. Too slow to do it for a living, anymore.
-2014 Cougar 326SRX, Maxxis tires w/TPMS, wet bolts, two 6v batts.
-Four Wheel 8' Popup Camper.
Desert185 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2017, 07:13 PM   #42
kjohn

A friend of mine from years back had a 1965 or 66 Ford 1/2 ton. He moved from Saskatchewan to Kelowna, BC. He made a couple of trips back and forth to get everything moved, etc.. Every time he got just past Calgary heading west on the Trans-Canada, the truck would start acting up and eventually conk out. He would let it sit for a while, fire it up and head out. He had the garages check everything they could think of, still did it. His nephew used the truck back in SK for harvest, and I went with him to take it back to BC. Sure enough, it conked out past Calgary, just as we were getting into the mountains. We let it sit for a while, and away we went.

Well, Uncle Willie had had enough and was tired of taking it to garages to try to find out what was wrong. Finally, he took the fuel tank out and emptied it out. He could hear something rattling around in the tank. In the end, he found a flat piece of hard plastic about the size of a silver dollar in the tank. The plastic never caused a moment's trouble when driving around Kelowna, nor out on the Prairies. As soon as the truck got to the hard curves on the highway past Calgary, the stupid little piece would slide over the gas outlet in the tank and shut off the fuel supply. When the engine was shut off, the piece would slide away to rest until the next round.
Old 09-04-2017, 03:00 PM   #43
Jack C

We are Fords Test & Development Dept.

I owned F-350 with the 6.0. Cab hung above the chassis 3 times before I went to another brand. I have a '13 Ford Fiesta. Do a google search on their issues. I'm convinced Ford does minimal testing in order to rush products to market. We are their test and developement department, which gets super expensive once the warranty runs out. And much misery while it's under warranty.
Jack C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2017, 04:18 PM   #44
Desert185

Jack C:

This resulting Beta testing seems to be common these days. FCA has had issues with the emissions on their RAMs. People are having problems with onboard trailer brake interface. Leveling systems on trailers are malfunctioning. Fragile complication or just complication that needs more debugging. That's why I drive a simpler old truck that I can usually repair myself.
-2014 Cougar 326SRX, Maxxis tires w/TPMS, wet bolts, two 6v batts.
-Four Wheel 8' Popup Camper.
Desert185 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2017, 05:26 PM   #45
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Desert185 View Post
Jack C:

This resulting Beta testing seems to be common these days...
Don't forget that "infamous" Cougar flat panel control board from 6 or 7 years ago. It was the only thing that "broke on every trailer" the couple of years they were in use. I can definitely say thank goodness they didn't use them in the Cougar XLite, only in the "big brother models".....

It's not just Ford, not even Ford and Chrysler. Heck, everybody from auto manufacturers to appliance makers are all using "let the public be our test bed"... Seems to me that what used to be a 1 or 2% failure rate is approaching 20% or maybe even more these days. I had to return 3 cans of brake cleaner the other day (NAPA) they wouldn't spray, just dribble, so it's not just "big buck items" even the nickel and dime things are breaking prematurely (if they even work at all)

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
mod