Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Technical Corner
Click Here to Login

Old 04-26-2016, 06:50 PM   #1
Mike484

Inverters

Ok, I'm new at this but have seen many times where it is recommend to have or someone has installed an inverter. We will normally always park where we have shore power, we also have an inverter generator to take with us in case we decide to make an occational overnight stop somewhere that shore power is not available.

What is the purpose of installing an inverter, where do you install it, how do you use it, and is it really a benifit to have one installed? If so, what would be the optimal size one to have?

2016 Passport 2890RL
2007 GMC Sierra 1500
Reese 26000 Weight Distribution and Sway Control
Champion 2800/3100 Inverter Generator

American Ranger Auto Gyro
Mike484 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2016, 07:15 PM   #2
Festus2
Site Team

Given that you almost always are hooked up to shore power and when not you can utilize your generator for those short, overnight stops, I don't think your having an inverter makes much sense.
Inverters are used to change 12VDC into 120VAC and get their "power" to do this from your RV batteries. In order to keep your batteries from "going dead", many folks also install solar panels to provide electrical current to the batteries so that they can maintain their charge and supply 12V to the inverter.

Inverters can be used for a variety of tasks - both large and small - all the way from running appliances to operating your TV and computer, and charging cellphones, etc. They also come in a variety of sizes - all the way from 300Watts to 3000+ watts. Generally, those items that are rated higher in wattage (coffee pots, toasters, heaters, MW's, etc require a larger inverter --- say 2000+ watt rating). The more things you want it to run, the "bigger" the inverter you need and, of course, the more draw there will be on the battery.

They should be installed as close as possible to your battery and use heavy gauge wire to connect the two devices to help reduce current loss.

Remember that an inverter needs 12V to function. There are really only 2 sources of this "power" --- your battery or your generator. To me, it doesn't make a lot of sense to run the generator to charge your battery up so that you can use the inverter. It makes more sense just to use your generator and it will accomplish the same thing.

In your case, having an inverter doesn't make a lot of sense IMO. I'd save the money and buy something else that would be more practical.
Old 04-26-2016, 07:25 PM   #3
chuckster57
Site Team

Well said. I was typing this long reply, and then saw you said it already.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2016, 05:31 AM   #4
Mike484

Thanks guys, and yes, I did not see any benifit in it for me.

I do know how an inverter works, I have a couple that I use, great for when Im out somewhere and need to use one of my power tools but dont have electricity.

I am curious though about where and how to hook one up. I know you want to be as close to your battery as possible for the power to the inverter, but where do you run the 110 power to?

2016 Passport 2890RL
2007 GMC Sierra 1500

Old 04-27-2016, 05:55 AM   #5
PhilDeb

I wondered about this also as I have two inverters from our old ambulances.

I think they are 1000 or 1500 watts and they also charge the batteries when plugged into a shore line.

I was thinking about putting two batteries and one of the inverters in a box in the back of my truck. Several of the places we want to go do not have power and we are not allowed to run a generator.
Wisconsin
PhilDeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2016, 05:59 AM   #6
jsmith948

Some have installed separate receptacles wired off the inverter.
Some folks just run an extension cord to whatever it is they wish to power such as a t.v. or computer.
We run the a.c. power to a DPDT switch that is, in turn, connected to the circuit that powers the receptacles in the living room. When there is shore power available, the switch's coil is energized and switches from inverter input to the regular a.c. input. This coil is 'cold' when the trailer isn't connected to either shore or generator power and the DPDT switch is spring loaded to the inverter circuit. You have to use a DPDT switch so that you are not co-mingling the neutral.
If you do a forum search, look for a thread by JohnnyFry. He used this set-up which, with his help and advice, I copied and installed. Works for us.

Jack & Marty
2018 Laredo 298 SRL
2011 F-250 SB Crew Cab 4x4 6.7L
jsmith948 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2016, 06:44 AM   #7
Mike484

Thanks, did a search, did some reading.

I think I'll just carry an inverter in the storage area so I will have one in case needed (probably never) and will not try to install one. I can take it out, hook it up, and just run an extension cord to whatever I am trying to power. Looks like too much work and too much trouble to try and install one since I will more than likely very rarely need it.

Thanks for all the replies.

2016 Passport 2890RL
2007 GMC Sierra 1500

Old 04-27-2016, 08:08 AM   #8
JRTJH
Site Team

Another consideration is that with an inverter, you need additional battery power to use it. That means, for most of us, it's not "intall an inverter" but rather, "install an inverter system", since more battery power is almost always required (or you wake up cold with no furnace fan).....

One alternative (that we've started using) is a "jump starter" that has its own internal batteries, inverter and is easy to locate where you want 110 VAC power. We plug it into the trailer to recharge it while we recharge the trailer batteries with the generator. The one we have has multiple charging capability as well as provide A/C for the TV. Using it, we don't draw any power from the trailer system, which leaves us with no worries about dead batteries in the middle of the night.

Here's the one we have, Lowe's had it on sale for $79 last year. http://www.lowes.com/pd_595192-41462...y+jump+starter

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2016, 02:01 PM   #9
jje1960

Inverter system

Reasonable (in my opinion) starter inverter system, connected to main, however we will not run aircon compressor, hotwater heater or fridge (unless out of propane). Main purpose is coffee maker (single keurig) TV, satellite box, stereo, computers, fan and other low amp draw charging and devices. We do need to turn off the onboard converter before turning on the inverter with the remote switch though.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	100_1981sm.jpg
Views:	1225
Size:	80.3 KB
ID:	10311  
jje1960 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2016, 09:52 AM   #10
denverpilot

Not the cheapest option but no one has mentioned it yet...

There are replacement converters that handle both jobs, inverter and battery charger.

They also often have a feature that will draw current from the batteries if the voltage sags on the AC input at a park with "iffy" electrical service so the inverter AC output will be clean and at the correct voltage for all the AC stuff in the rig.

In addition to that they often also add a much "smarter" charging circuit for lead acid batteries that isn't just a single voltage like the relatively "dumb" charge circuit in stock RV converters.

These folks explain it better than I do.

http://www.gonewiththewynns.com/RV-S...verter-Charger

That said, watch the ratings on these if they're wired to do "whole house" service. The one mentioned at the end of the article is 3000W and that's below the typical start up current needed for a 15K BTU A/C for example.

But if you want an "all automatic" solution where you don't have to remember to take the converter out of the circut but want all of the AC outlets in the rig to have AC from an inverter, an all-in-one inverter/charger is a nice setup.

(Side note: The Wynns today have gone well beyond the smart inverter/charger on their rig and have been experimenting with lithium battery banks and huge amounts of solar panels, and recently did articles on how they did tests on running the entire rig plus A/C on battery and solar when boondocking. This of course gets REALLY expensive fast, but there's a number of RV "online personalities" doing similar testing and helping manufacturers of these systems work out kinks in them -- I suspect in a relatively short time these monster battery/solar systems with all the required smart charging needed for large lithium packs will be available as built in options on high end rigs, and the tech will start to trickle down into being slightly more affordable and easier to install for lower end rigs. One notable problem all have seen is a reduction in battery life if the temperature of the batteries isn't maintained in a range -- lithium are not as forgiving as lead-acid to being very hot or very cold -- so there's still tech challenges to be worked out...)
Old 04-30-2016, 01:32 PM   #11
Yak

Quote:
Originally Posted by denverpilot View Post
Not the cheapest option but no one has mentioned it yet...

There are replacement converters that handle both jobs, inverter and battery charger.

They also often have a feature that will draw current from the batteries if the voltage sags on the AC input at a park with "iffy" electrical service so the inverter AC output will be clean and at the correct voltage for all the AC stuff in the rig.

In addition to that they often also add a much "smarter" charging circuit for lead acid batteries that isn't just a single voltage like the relatively "dumb" charge circuit in stock RV converters.

These folks explain it better than I do.

http://www.gonewiththewynns.com/RV-S...verter-Charger

That said, watch the ratings on these if they're wired to do "whole house" service. The one mentioned at the end of the article is 3000W and that's below the typical start up current needed for a 15K BTU A/C for example.

But if you want an "all automatic" solution where you don't have to remember to take the converter out of the circut but want all of the AC outlets in the rig to have AC from an inverter, an all-in-one inverter/charger is a nice setup.

(Side note: The Wynns today have gone well beyond the smart inverter/charger on their rig and have been experimenting with lithium battery banks and huge amounts of solar panels, and recently did articles on how they did tests on running the entire rig plus A/C on battery and solar when boondocking. This of course gets REALLY expensive fast, but there's a number of RV "online personalities" doing similar testing and helping manufacturers of these systems work out kinks in them -- I suspect in a relatively short time these monster battery/solar systems with all the required smart charging needed for large lithium packs will be available as built in options on high end rigs, and the tech will start to trickle down into being slightly more affordable and easier to install for lower end rigs. One notable problem all have seen is a reduction in battery life if the temperature of the batteries isn't maintained in a range -- lithium are not as forgiving as lead-acid to being very hot or very cold -- so there's still tech challenges to be worked out...)
The Wynns are buying a boat now

Old 04-30-2016, 01:34 PM   #12
denverpilot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yak View Post
The Wynns are buying a boat now

Haha. On to new adventures. Some folks just "have the wanderlust".

You know what BOAT stands for, right? "Break out another Thousand ($$$)!" Heh. Almost as bad as airplanes.
Old 04-30-2016, 01:37 PM   #13
Yak

Quote:
Originally Posted by denverpilot View Post
Haha. On to new adventures. Some folks just "have the wanderlust".

You know what BOAT stands for, right? "Break out another Thousand ($$$)!" Heh. Almost as bad as airplanes.

I saw them on an episode of Going RV from 2014 the other day
Old 09-18-2017, 08:12 PM   #14
mjeronimo

That thing runs your television? How long does it last, and how big is your tv?
mjeronimo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2021, 08:48 AM   #15
KJJ

The only thing we use an inverter for is the TV. In my Passport there is a space behind the TV where the 115 outlet for the TV, the antenna connection and amplifier switch, and a 12v connector were located. I just put a high quality 1 amp inverter in that space and use it when we are off grid and want to use the TV. We just don't use the microwave, and if needed have a small generator to charge batteries or run the A/C.
Old 06-03-2021, 10:16 AM   #16
chuckster57
Site Team

1amp inverter?

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2021, 09:39 AM   #17
Stircrazy

unless you absolutly need to run that electric coffee pot, tv or microwave when you have no shore power I wouldnt bother with an inverter like mentioned above. if you decide you do, Like I did, you also have to look at making sure you have enough batteries to last untill you recharge them. I did four 235ah 6V batteries and 480 watts of solar when I di mine and I installed a 2000 watt inverter that is wired directly into the main breaker panel so it powers the whole 5th wheel if I want it to. yes I do like to run my coffee pot in the morning and evening, or let the kids watch a movie on a rainy day and make some microwave popcorn.

Steve
Stircrazy is offline   Reply With Quote