Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Keystone Questions
Click Here to Login

Old 09-03-2017, 04:43 PM   #1
Stircrazy

new door key options

I have a 2016 330rbk that I bought new last fall. well I have been camping three times now (last one was for over a month) and have had the key break in the lock 3 times now. the first was when they got the trailer from one of there other lots, they put new one in there. I was getting a scratch fixed and the new one broke off (used 5 or 6 times to unlock the dead bolt) and now this last time in the middle of our holiday. I ended up getting a lock smith to pull the broken chunk out and make a new key but it is a weird key and not perfect.
the problem is there is a deep cut on each side of the key which makes a very narrow spot and this is where the key keeps breaking, the dealer says they can order a new lock assembly but its a hit an miss on what the key will look like.

anyone have any ideas on what to do?

Thanks
Steve
Stircrazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2017, 04:57 PM   #2
bobbecky

Just replace the door lock. Our rig has the original lock and keys, and we fulltime, so the key has been working constantly for five years with no problem.
bobbecky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2017, 05:11 PM   #3
14george

I'd take a chance on a new lock set
Old 09-03-2017, 05:19 PM   #4
chuckster57
Site Team

I would replace the entire lock set. Now is the chance to change from FIC which it seems like everybody has the pass key, to a Tri Mark key set. Easy swap and the master key isn't nearly as common. Another advantage is the keys are "stronger" IMO. Shouldn't cost more than about $50.00 and you can do,it yourself.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2017, 01:46 PM   #5
Stircrazy

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckster57 View Post
I would replace the entire lock set. Now is the chance to change from FIC which it seems like everybody has the pass key, to a Tri Mark key set. Easy swap and the master key isn't nearly as common. Another advantage is the keys are "stronger" IMO. Shouldn't cost more than about $50.00 and you can do,it yourself.
do you know if they make the same side that drops in or do you have to modify the door hole?

Steve
Old 09-04-2017, 02:50 PM   #6
madmaxmutt

Quote:
Yes, there are a lot of people with the FIC change tool because of the recall on their locks a few years ago. You do have to have the cylinder unlocked to use the change tool, though.

Is there something specific that makes the Tri Mark key set more secure, or just a thicker key?
madmaxmutt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2017, 04:54 PM   #7
chuckster57
Site Team

The change out key is different than a "master" (pass) key.

TriMark lock set will fit into the same hole, and the main thing is the pass key isn't nearly as common.

Bauer is another option, but my FIC pass key works on a vast majority of Bauer locks.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2017, 04:56 PM   #8
madmaxmutt

Quote:
The change out key is different than a "master" (pass) key.

TriMark lock set will fit into the same hole, and the main thing is the pass key isn't nearly as common.

Bauer is another option, but my FIC pass key works on a vast majority of Bauer locks.
Thank you!
madmaxmutt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2017, 09:22 PM   #9
bobbecky

Well, maybe I shouldn't have bragged how well our door lock assembly was holding up. We stopped today to access the trailer for snacks, and I thought she was taking a long time to get what she wanted. She was really upset when back in the truck. I guess she went to open the door and the inside latch handle broke She had left her cell phone in the cab, so she couldn't call for help. She ended up using using one of the keys to slide the plunger to open the door, so the door lock will be replaced as soon as I can get one picked up.
bobbecky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2017, 05:42 AM   #10
Stircrazy

Ok , so I just got off the phone with Fastec industrial, and the lock set I have is the Leonardo (a new design made exclusively for keystone) it has 50 different key patterns but they all have similar deep cuts. so I notice most of the people replying in this thread have older units which would be a different series of lock.

so now I don't know if a different brand will fit in the hole I have or not, and apparently the cylinders from there other models that were involved in the recall and such, wont fit in this lock.

back to the drawing board I guess.....

Steve
Old 09-05-2017, 05:48 AM   #11
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stircrazy View Post
Ok , so I just got off the phone with Fastec industrial, and the lock set I have is the Leonardo (a new design made exclusively for keystone) it has 50 different key patterns but they all have similar deep cuts. so I notice most of the people replying in this thread have older units which would be a different series of lock.

so now I don't know if a different brand will fit in the hole I have or not, and apparently the cylinders from there other models that were involved in the recall and such, wont fit in this lock.

back to the drawing board I guess.....

Steve
One option would be another call to Customer Service at Fastec and ask them whether the Leonardo lockset is the same size/shape as their older locksets. They would know exactly which locksets (even the competition) will fit the hole and which ones won't.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2017, 05:51 AM   #12
Stircrazy

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRTJH View Post
One option would be another call to Customer Service at Fastec again and ask them whether the Leonardo lockset is the same size/shape as their older locksets. They would know exactly which locksets (even the competition) will fit the hole and which ones won't.
Ill do that, thanks, I didn't think of asking that. I am going to let Keystone have a chance to come up with a solution first I think. well Ill see if they reply to my inquiry I sent yesterday anyways.

Steve
Old 09-05-2017, 05:55 AM   #13
NealBlue

Another option to consider is going with the RV Lock keyless entry system.
Old 09-05-2017, 06:18 AM   #14
fatcatzzz

Quote:
Originally Posted by NealBlue View Post
Another option to consider is going with the RV Lock keyless entry system.
X2 on rvlock.com Best part NO key. "Pricey"
fatcatzzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2017, 03:21 PM   #15
chris15005

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRTJH View Post
One option would be another call to Customer Service at Fastec and ask them whether the Leonardo lock set is the same size/shape as their older lock sets. They would know exactly which lockets (even the competition) will fit the hole and which ones won't.
It's not i'm dealing with the same thing at the moment the cut out on the Leo lock is too large to replace with any "standard" RV locks I bought the RVlock wireless lock and it doesn't fit. Supposedly Keystone used this lock for (1) model year mines a 2016 2770RB and the lock is a POS it will lock the handle out when you close the door and the only way to open is with a key so if your inside you have to take the lock apart to unlock the door. It doesn't happen all the time but i always leave a key in my golf cart just in case and a screwdriver in a drawer near the door ridiculous on a 2 year old trailer to deal with this BS !!

The Leo lock's cut out it is 3.66" wide 4.409" high

Standard RV cut out is 2-3/4" wide 3-3/4" high

Called RVlock, Bauer, Fastec there's no retrofit option for this lock

I called Keystone they told me to call Challenger door

Called Challenger door there is no retrofit from them they are going to talk to the fabrication Dept to see if the can maybe make a cover plate to adapt to a standard lock.

I included a few photos and the flyer for the Leo lock my photo with the RVlock in the door is a little off but the front part of the lock is the gap that is all around the door when it's sitting flush was trying to take a photo holding the lock the door and my phone.

OEM LOCK

RVLOCK IN DOOR

RVLOCK STRIKER

LEO LOCK FLYER
http://www.fastecindustrial.com/imag...iaFlyerLeo.pdf
chris15005 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2017, 05:50 AM   #16
esmoglo

Wow, look at that it won't fit wonder why the changed the door in 2016? Our Passport 2810BH was a 2016 and the RV lock fit like a glove but I can see you have a different lock with a much larger hole. I took off the RV lock when I traded the Passport for the 5th wheel and it ft the 5th wheel as well with minor trimming needed to make it fit because it was a bit snug.

What I know is that the RV industry has no standards to speak of, if a part cost less during production they will slap it on. In other areas like black tanks (because I found out the hard way) RV manufacturers use many suppliers & whoever has the best price at the time they will purchase their tanks then next batch may come from a completely different supplier thus there's no standard when you need to order a replacement part it's a guessing game. Our 5er needed a new black tank it was a hassle getting a replacement because of the size & area it's installed in but we got one with many photos, emails and a few wrong tanks ordered but its finally sorted. This is one area were Winnebago shines like no other manufacture they make their own parts
and have strict standards but they don't sell a floor plan we like. Is what it is I'm afraid.
esmoglo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2017, 06:36 AM   #17
JRTJH
Site Team

One of the reasons for using the LEO lock was the critical shortage of FIC locks because of the safety recall and all of their available locksets being used as replacements for recalled units. There were no locksets available for "new builds" at the time. So all the manufacturers turned to an Italian lock company that was building for the European RV market for locksets.

A couple of US RV builders weren't affected. They use a special lockset, a special door and it's either built "inhouse" or "special ordered by an outside supplier".... (Think Airstream's silver door/silver lock and similar RV types) and a few others that had sufficient numbers of Global or FIC locksets for their new trailer builds.

Just as metric nuts won't fit SAE bolts, European locksets won't fit American doors. So when those locksets arrived for installation, new sized holes had to be cut. Since most RV's still have the original lockset after 10 years, it didn't make much difference, but for those who did have (or do have) problems, they can't revert to the "old size" easily. RV companies probably didn't think it through with people wanting to convert to remote control locksets, keyless locksets, etc, but they also don't provide space for someone wanting a 65" TV either, so for them, if you want to "adapt" then you need to figure it out, not us, was likely to have been the "order of the day" when RV's were backing up without locksets to finish and ship trailers to dealers.

Just a personal observation about Winnebago Industries, while they may use standardized parts on all of their units, if you read their forum posts, you'll find as many critical owners who have problems there as you do on most other RV product forums.....

The grass is always greener on the other side of the fence......(and as G-Pa used to say, "Until you climb over it")....

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
Old 11-15-2017, 10:40 AM   #18
mfifield01

My 2015 Passport 2810bh has the Leo locks in it (2 doors). On my second trip, the inside lever somewhat broke. I had it replaced under warranty (about 2 years ago).
Old 11-15-2017, 05:30 PM   #19
chris15005

That's fine i get that but when the lock fails like mine has and there is no other recourse other than getting the same POS to replace it with tends to irritate me on a 2 year old trailer. I called keystone they in a round about way know this lock was junk and tell tell me call challenger door they tell me we need a photo of some decal on the door IMO this is total BS on this new of a trailer. I guess what's going to end up happening is i'm either going to have to by a whole new door or trade the damn thing in and get another brand neither option is good for me financially.
chris15005 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2017, 05:51 PM   #20
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris15005 View Post
That's fine i get that...
I guess what's going to end up happening is i'm either going to have to by a whole new door or trade the damn thing in and get another brand neither option is good for me financially.
Or you could just buy another LEO lock for $30, install it, realize it's a "weak link" and not abuse it. There are hundreds, probably thousands of those locksets in use and not everyone has had your experience, so maybe the next one will be more durable ???

Or like you said, just give the damn thing away and be done with it.....

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS