Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Modifications and Upgrades
Click Here to Login

Old 09-26-2018, 08:47 AM   #1
Roscoe

Television sound through speakers

This may not apply to everyone's system but i found on our trailer if you take the red and white rca's that come up from the audio unit if equipped with a DVD player. Swap the red and white to the audio out on your Tely and turn the radio source to AUX-1 and it should in theory play your tely sound through the speakers in your trailer. I did this on our 2013 cougar and also my parents 2018 cougar. hope this helps anyone who cares to have surround sound in their camper..

Cheer's
Edge cs2 Programmer w/ egt
4" Turbo back exhaust
Roscoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2018, 09:02 PM   #2
Local150

Was wondering how to do that
Local150 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2018, 05:10 AM   #3
flybouy
Site Team

Thanks Rosco. It's not surround sound it's stereo but typically sounds better than the wimpy television's amp & speakers.
flybouy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2018, 06:00 AM   #4
WNY Bullet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roscoe View Post
This may not apply to everyone's system but i found on our trailer if you take the red and white rca's that come up from the audio unit if equipped with a DVD player. Swap the red and white to the audio out on your Tely and turn the radio source to AUX-1 and it should in theory play your tely sound through the speakers in your trailer. I did this on our 2013 cougar and also my parents 2018 cougar. hope this helps anyone who cares to have surround sound in their camper..
Wouldn't you also need to change the same red/white cables from output to input on the back of your DVD/Radio?
2017 Chevy Silverado LT Z71

WNY Bullet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2018, 09:41 AM   #5
Roscoe

negative. just the ones on the tv..
4" Turbo back exhaust
Old 09-27-2018, 09:54 AM   #6
Mrmiata

Quote:

Cheer's
Hmm.. seems odd as our 2014 was already set up for this. 31RBDS 6 speakers..(ABC speaker selector) 2 are located under awning. Just wonder now is this equipment factory installed or dealer prepped at site?
Mrmiata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2018, 12:51 PM   #7
Travelingcircus

I use an audio cable, plug into the aux output on dvd player , plug the other end into theTV headset input.
Travelingcircus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2018, 03:31 PM   #8
Roscoe

i think there are several different ways to accomplish the same goal. this just happened to work and thought i would share what i found.
4" Turbo back exhaust
Old 09-28-2018, 02:25 AM   #9
ctbruce
Site Team | Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Travelingcircus View Post
I use an audio cable, plug into the aux output on dvd player , plug the other end into theTV headset input.
I did exactly this and no bueno. Not sure why it didn't work. Any thoughts?

Chip Bruce, RPh
Kansas City, MO
2016 Impact 312
2017 Silverado 3500HD SRW
ctbruce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2018, 03:53 AM   #10
gkainz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrmiata View Post
Hmm.. seems odd as our 2014 was already set up for this. 31RBDS 6 speakers..(ABC speaker selector) 2 are located under awning. Just wonder now is this equipment factory installed or dealer prepped at site?

Our 2010 is configured to do this as well. ???
gkainz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2018, 10:27 AM   #11
Mrmiata

Quote:
Originally Posted by ctbruce View Post
That was actually listed backwards I do believe.. "TV Headphones" would be an out signal.. that would have to plug into an audio "input" to the dvd or receiver player.
Mrmiata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2018, 05:19 PM   #12
Roscoe

Maybe it depends on the brand of stereo. I have a jensen dvd unit. red and white rca's plugged into AUDIO out on the tv and the radio to AUX-1... i will take a picture and post it up later tonight or tomorrow depending on how many beers i have tonight
4" Turbo back exhaust
Old 09-28-2018, 05:19 PM   #13
cookinwitdiesel

I also was looking to achieve this goal of using the better and built-in speakers when watching TV. I achieved this a different way though. My Hideout had a Furrion DV3100 installed. I went ahead and bought and upgraded to a DV3300 unit with HDMI instead. The Summit TV that came in our trailer has an HDMI interface with ARC (Audio Return Channel). The DV3300 also supports this on its HDMI port. What this enables is that the TV can output the sound over the HDMI back to the Furrion unit which then plays sound over the speakers. This will only work with input from other HDMI interfaces on TV (such as a laptop, media streaming box, or Blu-ray player) but that works fine for my purposes.

Hopefully this helps some!
cookinwitdiesel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2018, 05:34 PM   #14
Local150

Quote:
Maybe it depends on the brand of stereo. I have a jensen dvd unit. red and white rca's plugged into AUDIO out on the tv and the radio to AUX-1... i will take a picture and post it up later tonight or tomorrow depending on how many beers i have tonight
I have a Jensen TV and Jensen radio and CD player. The are both connected with audio cables and have tried aux 1 ,2,, and 3 and nothing
Local150 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2018, 02:07 AM   #15
Travelingcircus

Quote:
Originally Posted by ctbruce View Post
2 possibilities, the Aux button on dvd player was not on.
My TV has two similar audio inputs, I used the one that with the headset icon.
Other than that, I have no idea why it wouldn't work.
Travelingcircus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2018, 08:40 AM   #16
HammerToe

I’ve been doing something like this now for about 10 years. I own a 2008 Keystone Cougar Model 291 RLS. I have TWO HD TVs installed in it – a 37 inch one installed in the TV alcove provided and a second 24 inch model mounted to a non-OEM installed solid oak cabinet that I built and mounted above the emergency escape window in the bedroom. I have/take with me in the trailer a Bell ExpressVu satellite receiver with an auxiliary hard drive so that I can use the receivers PVR functionality. The receiver and hard drive are on the cabinet shelf below the TV. I ‘drive’ the 37 inch TV using Component Video Cables and I also ‘drive’ the second 24 inch HDTV in the bedroom using a long (15 feet I think) HDMI cable. (I did experiment trying to use an HDMI splitter and use an HDMI cable for each TV but – too many problems – I won’t go into it here, and I’m not saying it could be made to work, but you can run into a little really weird glitches trying to make it work). I use a very simple Infrared Remote Control extender with the sensor and mounted/positioned above the bathroom medicine cabinet and just place the transmitter and in front of and slightly to the side of the Infrared sensor on the receiver. I also did the ‘pipe the 37 inch TV sound through my interior speakers’ using the AUX IN connector on the trailers Jensen home theatre system. (I can’t recall where I took the sound from on the back of the TV – it might’ve been the audio out terminals or maybe I used the microphone terminals. Just can’t recall and I just had a look (or more precisely, try to take a look) but I can’t manage to see behind the TV exactly what I used). All in all – how does it work? GREAT! The satellite-TV signals are received by a Winegard ‘carry out’ automatic signal seeking and locking dish (domed) mounted on the roof of my trailer. Again, works great. I power the Winegard straight off the trailers 12 V DC system, taking power from one of the ceiling lights in the bedroom. I just drilled and mounted a nice ‘pushbutton’ switch to enable me to turn the power to the Winegard on and off and I added a small green LED that I can see easily from the living room of the trailer so that I can know whether it is on or not. Very convenient. Once the trailer is set up in levels, assuming you don’t have a signal eating tree or something in the way, just push the power button to power up the Winegard and within about two and a have to three minutes – voilà – you have TV. The only limitation of this set up is that while you can and I have using a scheme like this to drive to TVs, you are limited to watching the same program on both TVs. (Or, perhaps more precisely, I THINK that if you wanted to install some additional SUITABLE satellite-TV switches, you could use a second receiver to watch another program BUT it would still have to be on a transponder off the same satellite as, Bell and most other satellite providers frequently use more than one satellite located at a different point in the sky to provide at least some of their channels with a single LNB in the Winegard, it can’t pick up signals from more than one physical satellite at a time. Nevertheless and all in all, it is perfect for me and has worked flawlessly for probably close to 10 years now. Sorry to go on so long but I was ‘in the mood’ and I just thought somebody might find my set up interesting.
HammerToe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2018, 09:33 AM   #17
n4qpcham

My HC318RE 5th wheel has a Jensen AM/FM/CD/DVD in it, as a lot of Keystone products do. You can take the 4 screws out of the front of the unit and pull it out SLOWLY from the cabinet. There should be an A/V wire with red, white, and yellow plugs. The red and white are audio R and L, and the yellow is the video. This wire should be plugged into the AV OUTPUT R and L and VIDEO OUT on the Jensen unit. This carries the sound and video from the Jensen to the TV to play DVDs. This 3-foot A/V cable was too short on my 5th wheel, so I ordered a minimum 4-foot cable off Amazon, after I accidently broke the plugs off in the TV. Removing them was a fun job, but not too bad. There will be another red and white audio-only cable required from the TV’s AUDIO OUT red (R) and white (L) jacks to the Jensen’s red (R) and white (L) INPUT (AUDIO IN) jacks. This audio cable will send the TV sound to the Jensen and to the A, B, or C speakers. You will need to fish the wires through the wall by tying/taping a string or another cable to the A/V cable and pulling it through. I was able to remove my electric fireplace (4 screws) to get access to the area below the TV over to where the Jensen was mounted.

2004 Chevy 2500HD Crew Cab LS, 6.0L,
2014 Montana High Country 318RE with Ground Control Electric Auto Leveling System
n4qpcham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2018, 06:42 AM   #18
Stevereno

Quote:
So too many beers consumed = no picture?
Stevereno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2018, 09:11 AM   #19
Wingerdinger

My RV has the typical Jensen audio system, and has the RCA-type jacks in the rear for audio input, but my TV only has digital/optical audio out.
There is an adapter that will convert digital to analog audio, I will be going that route.
Wingerdinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2018, 04:21 PM   #20
32 fkb

our 2018 32fkb is already set up that way.
32 fkb is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
speakers, television