Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Welcome to KeystoneForums.com! > New Member Check in!
Click Here to Login

Old 07-23-2018, 10:45 AM   #1
bpseal

New 2015 Bullet 27BHS Owner in Oklahoma

Loving my Bullet so far... so far I'm pleased with how it peforms (except Dometic refrigerator) if anyone has tips on getting it to cool down quickly, let me know! Other than that, the family and friends love it, it tows super smooth with my 2015 F150 and overall holds up pretty good. I'll be wanting to replace the top caulking and weather stripping on it soon. Any tips would be appreciated! Looking forward to connecting with my fellow Keystone RV owners!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1380.jpg
Views:	145
Size:	382.8 KB
ID:	17591  
bpseal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2018, 11:10 AM   #2
sourdough
Site Team

You'll probably want to be going over the sealant on the trailer right away. Depending on where it's been and how it's been used, and if the previous owner took care of it, it could be in need of repair right now. Leaks from those areas can manifest themselves after a long period and after substantial, unseen damage has occurred. I would suggest you look at it EVERYWHERE. Seams on the roof (Dicor lap sealant), around the vents, AC etc., around the windows, seals for the slides, front and rear cap seals, seams along the sides and along the front edges that cover the screw lines, screws above the drip rail and awning....EVERYWHERE. A small leak can lead to great misery, and......might as well get right on it and learn all about it right now.

And by the way...Welcome to the forum!! Lots of great folks and info here so glad to have you aboard. Hope you have lots of fun with the new trailer and make a lot of memories with the kids. If we can help, just ask.

Edit: be sure and check the date code on the tires as well. RV tires age out, they don't "wear" out per se. Note the brand, size and date code and post back. You will get a lot of useful info.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2018, 11:10 AM   #3
KeithInUpstateNY

Quote:
Originally Posted by bpseal View Post
Loving my Bullet so far... so far I'm pleased with how it peforms (except Dometic refrigerator) if anyone has tips on getting it to cool down quickly, let me know! Other than that, the family and friends love it, it tows super smooth with my 2015 F150 and overall holds up pretty good. I'll be wanting to replace the top caulking and weather stripping on it soon. Any tips would be appreciated! Looking forward to connecting with my fellow Keystone RV owners!
Congratulations on your new camper.

As for getting the refrigerator to cool down more quickly load it like you would a cooler. That is pre-chill everything and pack it as full as you can. In the freezer either use Blue Ice (less mess) or regular ice to take up any unused space. In the refrigerator use pre-chilled bottles of water and replace as you use them.

Even once it is cooled down to temperature keep it full so you lose as little cold air as possible when you open either compartment. And try to introduce unchilled food in limited quantities. It still isn't unusual to see the temperature rise 8-10 degrees with frequent openings at meal time.

2015 Bullet 220RBI
2019 Chevy Colorado extended cab V6 3.6 liter
KeithInUpstateNY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2018, 12:33 PM   #4
JimQ

Congrats on the Bullet and welcome to the forum!
JimQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2018, 02:51 PM   #5
5J's

Welcome to the forum from SE Texas. Congrats on the new to you.

2017 Hideout 308BHDS

2006 F-350 6.0L PSD CC 4X4
5J's is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2018, 08:12 PM   #6
bpseal

Thank you my good sir! Huge help there! I’m definitely excited. I had a $1,000 inspection and maintenance package done and the roof was gtg! I’m a huge maintenance guy so great advice.
Old 07-23-2018, 08:16 PM   #7
bpseal

Thanks for the good advice there. I know personally i have yet to load it full of food immediately so that is something i could try. I just wish it would cool down faster but thats just a nicity I suppose!
Old 07-23-2018, 08:50 PM   #8
sourdough
Site Team

Quote:
Thanks for the good advice there. I know personally i have yet to load it full of food immediately so that is something i could try. I just wish it would cool down faster but thats just a nicity I suppose!
Residential fridges recommend 24 hours to become stabilized. The RV fridge takes a bit of time. I do as the previous poster and actually give my fridge at least 2 days to stabilize and get the fridge/freezer at operating temps, hopefully. If it is 105 outside it will take a lot of time. In that situation I run my AC to cool the trailer down.

On the RV roof inspection - trust but verify. The roof sealing is too big an issue to just "trust" they did it whether it was $100 or $10,000 - when you find out it was faulty it is too late. Just a heads up. Lots of the "roof maintenance" folks (even dealers) just take your money.
Old 07-24-2018, 05:57 AM   #9
bpseal

So in other words, better off learning how to do it yourself than trust other folks? Sounds good to me! I can't walk on my roof of my Bullet so any advice on that particular issue with resealing different areas if need be?
Old 07-24-2018, 06:36 AM   #10
sourdough
Site Team

I have a walkable roof and ladder but can't navigate the roof any longer due to physical limitations. I do however have a 10' A type ladder that allows me to closely inspect all the perimeter seams on the roof. My skylight is on the side so I can see it. Two big vents have ACs with a foam gasket that I can see with a bright light and my other 2 vents have Maxxair covers that I can sort of see visually. When I have the roof cleaned/sealed/inspected yearly I tell them to pay particular attention to the sealing of everything on the roof and to give me a detail. When they are finished I visit with the SM so that he can give me their findings. If you read thru the posts you will find many tales of woe due to leaks; I just try (hopefully) to keep that from happening by taking some proactive action and saying a lot of prayers.
Old 07-24-2018, 12:32 PM   #11
arch113

Welcome from Enid, Oklahoma
Old 07-25-2018, 08:03 PM   #12
bpseal

Thanks sir! I was born in Enid and was stationed at Vance!
Old 07-26-2018, 06:39 AM   #13
arch113

Quote:
Thanks sir! I was born in Enid and was stationed at Vance!

I work at Vance AFB (Contractor)
Old 07-26-2018, 09:02 PM   #14
Tidbitz

Welcome

Wwlcome to the family, Oklahoma here as well. You will like it here, I have learned quite a bit and given so much help.
Tidbitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2018, 12:48 AM   #15
busterbrown

Welcome fellow Bullet owner. Congrats on the "new to you" coach.
Hensley SwiftArrow Control Hitch with 1000 lb Spring Bars
Me, DW, (3) little DS's, and 1 rambunctious Boston Terrier

busterbrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2018, 09:01 AM   #16
ZEPPELIN291

I have a 2017 Premier 30 RIPR.
The first time we turned the refrigerator on this season was during a heat spell where it was 95 each day for about 2 weeks.
It took 9 hours to cool down to where we could put our food in.
It maintains the temperature well and the freezer is ice cold but the initial cool down was very slow.
I believe this is normal given the ambient temperature. We left the A/C running to help keep the interior of the trailer cool.
ZEPPELIN291 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2018, 09:16 AM   #17
BadmanRick

We have a 2011 Bullet Premier ultra lite 19FBPR. We have the Dometic 2652 and we live in south Florida. As a Norm I start my refrigerator at least 4 days prior to a trip. I have also installed a RV Cooling Unit Warehouse Deluxe RV Refrigerator Evaporator Fan w/LED & Grill about $30.00 from Amazon. Easy to install.
This circulating fan helps cool the refrigerator and keeps it cool. Hope this helps.
BadmanRick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2018, 09:22 AM   #18
damillersr

FWIW, I usually make a Block of ice in my garage freezer, well prior to my trip and another for the freezer. I place them inside the both compartments for a couple of hours prior to turning on the appliance. When I am at storage temp, I load it up as full as possible as stated earlier. I use blue ice and plastic cubes for drinks, as stated, much less mess.
damillersr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2018, 10:00 AM   #19
GeorgeBullet

Congrats on your Bullet! I love my Bullet 2190EX.
Make lots of memories!
GeorgeBullet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2018, 10:46 AM   #20
Lymey

Been there with the refrigerator

If I am only going to be pulling my trail a short distance (2 - 4 hrs) I will normally turn the fridge on two or three days in advance. When ready I load everything cold or frozen. Have even used frozen gallon water jugs. My biggest complaint was getting the fridge to work correctly I’m the first place. Sometimes it would never get cold. They always tell you to make sure your trailer is level but even more important is the fridge being level. It won’t work if it’s not level. I learned a trick through one of these forums to place a level on the bottom of the freezer and adjust the trailer till the level shows even. Generally the floor and freezer are very close together on level but I have found that having the freezer even half a bubble off level the unit will not cool correctly.
Lymey is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bullet