Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Repairs & Maintenance
Click Here to Login

Old 07-05-2018, 04:54 PM   #1
jack65

2007 Keystone 18RS Outback rear slider parts?

Both of my 2007 Keystone 18RS Outback rear sliders on the inside ceiling track broke. Where do I get the part? The ceiling track is fine.
I can post pics tomorrow when I go to storage and take off the part. Looks to be one piece.

This was our first trip out with the trailer and I made the stupid mistake of pulling the bed part way out without the outside rails on first when it broke. They didn't show me how to do it when I bought the trailer and I thought it was like our popup trailer where the support goes on "after" you pull the bed out. Didn't realize you have to have the rails on first with this one. DUH! Wifey was kinda upset.

In case some of you are wondering why I didn't read the manual first. The one I got, the same one online is Keystone based manual, not specific like for Outbacks and sucked for info on a lot of stuff. As for sliding out the bed, it only showed info for electric ones, nothing on manual and no pics at all. I sat down and read it before attempting to slide the bed out. There was no internet connection up where we camped to look for youtube info:
http://1-4u-computer-graphics.com/20...Waterfalls.htm

I've googled everywhere for the parts... can't find it.

I hope I posted in the right place.
K&N 71-1561 Air Intake w/FlowMaster Exhaust system.
jack65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2018, 06:26 PM   #2
ctbruce
Site Team | Emeritus

Try Trekwood. They carry a lot of replacement parts. Good luck.

Chip Bruce, RPh
Kansas City, MO
2016 Impact 312
2017 Silverado 3500HD SRW
ctbruce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2018, 06:12 AM   #3
MarkS

Ask the dealer?

Mark S.
2014 Cougar 318SAB
2015 Silverado 3500HD 6.6L Diesel 4WD CC SB
18K Pullright Hitch
MarkS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2018, 07:46 AM   #4
jack65

Quote:
Originally Posted by ctbruce View Post
Try Trekwood. They carry a lot of replacement parts. Good luck.
They have a lot of things there and a slide out category, but the problem is, no photos of many items, like this sounds like the part "Mechanism - Roller Bearing" Fits: Outback / Year: 2007? But there is no picture of part, so I won't know what I'm really getting.

It's a bummer that they don't have a service manual for my model that has diagrams naming parts etc. Must be a dealer only thing which is not good as they mark up their prices knowing they "Gotcha".

Anybody know if there is a service manual or diagram parts PDF for my:
2007 Keystone 18RS Outback

I will be going to the RV storage and taking the parts off I need with pictures and post them later today.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkS View Post
Ask the dealer?
I'm trying to avoid the "dealer" prices as they're always way higher than if you buy it online. However I may have to as I can't seem to find any online.
Old 07-06-2018, 10:24 AM   #5
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by jack65 View Post
...I'm trying to avoid the "dealer" prices as they're always way higher than if you buy it online. However I may have to as I can't seem to find any online.
Trekwood is an RV dealer. Tiara RV Sales (the parent company) is a large RV dealership in Elkhart, Indiana. You'll be paying "dealer prices" plus shipping.

As for locating a service manual or parts diagram for any Keystone product: GOOD LUCK !!! If you do happen to find a source, you can make a fortune selling it to other owners who are also in need of the information. The availability of diagrams for electrical wiring, wall stud location, plumbing runs/holding tank valve location and similar structural drawings has long been the "elusive unicorn" for all Keystone owners.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2018, 12:13 PM   #6
jack65

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRTJH View Post
Trekwood is an RV dealer. Tiara RV Sales (the parent company) is a large RV dealership in Elkhart, Indiana. You'll be paying "dealer prices" plus shipping.

As for locating a service manual or parts diagram for any Keystone product: GOOD LUCK !!! If you do happen to find a source, you can make a fortune selling it to other owners who are also in need of the information. The availability of diagrams for electrical wiring, wall stud location, plumbing runs/holding tank valve location and similar structural drawings has long been the "elusive unicorn" for all Keystone owners.
Looks to me like the RV companies and dealerships have a sneaky thing going to make more dollars off customers. Gottcha! I do not like that. Looks like I'm forced to take the part off and go to the dealership to get it... BUT, I'm going to fix it myself. I did all the work on my past C3 Corvettes so how hard can it be? For Corvette lovers, here is my website on my last five I've had: (I did most all the work on the yellow one)
http://1-4u-computer-graphics.com/jacks-vettes.htm
Old 07-06-2018, 02:06 PM   #7
madmaxmutt

Quote:
Both of my 2007 Keystone 18RS Outback rear sliders on the inside ceiling track broke. Where do I get the part? The ceiling track is fine.
I can post pics tomorrow when I go to storage and take off the part. Looks to be one piece.

This was our first trip out with the trailer and I made the stupid mistake of pulling the bed part way out without the outside rails on first when it broke. They didn't show me how to do it when I bought the trailer and I thought it was like our popup trailer where the support goes on "after" you pull the bed out. Didn't realize you have to have the rails on first with this one. DUH! Wifey was kinda upset.

In case some of you are wondering why I didn't read the manual first. The one I got, the same one online is Keystone based manual, not specific like for Outbacks and sucked for info on a lot of stuff. As for sliding out the bed, it only showed info for electric ones, nothing on manual and no pics at all. I sat down and red it before attempting to slide the bed out. There was no internet connection up where we camped to look for youtube info:
http://1-4u-computer-graphics.com/20...Waterfalls.htm

I've googled everywhere for the parts... can't find it.

I hope I posted in the right place.
If the parts are like my Outback and my previous Surveyor, they use door slide parts.
Info on hanger trolleys are here:
https://jhusa.net/Content/Images/upl...00SDhanger.jpg

Info on hanging track is here:
https://jhusa.net/Content/Images/upl...100SDtrack.jpg

Purchase parts here:
https://jhusa.net/100sd-sliding-bypa...ware#100_Track

You can simply lift the front of the box/slide with a jack, but be certain you are spreading the load with a large 2x6 or something on top of the jack and a thick piece of plywood on the floor. It only needs to go up about a 1/4-1/2" in order to remove the trolley. There should be a small lever to release the trolley wheels.
madmaxmutt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2018, 06:05 PM   #8
jack65

madmaxmutt Thanks for the excellent info... exactly what I needed, but I dodge a huge bullet. Nothing was broke, since it wasn't locked it simply came out and this is what saved the slider from ripping out of the ceiling!

Here are some pics if this will help someone else down the road since they have NO MANUALS or instructions on how to do this. In the Keystone manual they should have at the very least said to install the bed rail support outside BEFORE pulling the slider out.

The first pics shows what it looked like when it came out and then one of it unlocked and locked, then the part itself.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	0706181557x.jpg
Views:	574
Size:	124.1 KB
ID:	17350   Click image for larger version

Name:	0706181610x.jpg
Views:	643
Size:	128.0 KB
ID:	17351   Click image for larger version

Name:	0706181610z.jpg
Views:	322
Size:	168.7 KB
ID:	17352   Click image for larger version

Name:	0706181823z.jpg
Views:	366
Size:	193.3 KB
ID:	17353  
Old 07-06-2018, 06:39 PM   #9
fjr vfr

It's a good idea to ad support under the bed when it is retracted. We had a 21RS and I made up a stand and used an aluminum jack stand on top of it with a piece of scrap plywood above. I just slid it under and screwed it up firmly to give the bed support.

Here is the link to the Outback forum. You will find lots of good info there about your trailer.

https://www.outbackers.com/forums/index.php

Here is a thread about bed support.

https://www.outbackers.com/forums/in...howtopic=39489
fjr vfr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2018, 06:49 PM   #10
madmaxmutt

Quote:
madmaxmutt Thanks for the excellent info... exactly what I needed, but I dodge a huge bullet. Nothing was broke, since it wasn't locked it simply came out and this is what saved the slider from ripping out of the ceiling!

Here are some pics if this will help someone else down the road since they have NO MANUALS or instructions on how to do this. In the Keystone manual they should have at the very least said to install the bed rail support outside BEFORE pulling the slider out.

The first pics shows what it looked like when it came out and then one of it unlocked and locked, then the part itself.
Glad you got it figured out! That bent wrench they sell came in handy to tighten the trolley and the attachment bolts in a tight space.

As FJR VFR said; there are schools of thought, that the slide should be supported when traveling. I have never made a lift or stand for either trailer, but a little insurance probably doesn't hurt. Again, make sure you are spreading that load on the surfaces, if you go that route.
Old 07-06-2018, 07:49 PM   #11
jack65

Quote:
Originally Posted by madmaxmutt View Post

As FJR VFR said; there are schools of thought, that the slide should be supported when traveling. I have never made a lift or stand for either trailer, but a little insurance probably doesn't hurt. Again, make sure you are spreading that load on the surfaces, if you go that route.
Thanks guys for the GREAT information!
I will do some kind of support as my main vacation the past two years and this summer to Takhlakh Lake, nestled just under Mt Adams, 1/3 of it is gravel bumpy road, so support would be good. Here is the last two years of Heaven up there:
http://1-4u-computer-graphics.com/Mt...hLake-2017.htm

Old 07-07-2018, 05:39 PM   #12
fjr vfr

You know the support also serves for when you are using the bed while retracted. We traveled cross country with our trailer and stayed some nights at Walmart, so the extra support supported us and our climbing in and out of bed. We also stopped at times during the day at rest stops and took naps.
Check out the Outback forum and you will find examples of different home made supports.
Btw, that's a really nice looking place to camp.
Old 07-07-2018, 07:54 PM   #13
jack65

Quote:
Originally Posted by fjr vfr View Post
You know the support also serves for when you are using the bed while retracted. We traveled cross country with our trailer and stayed some nights at Walmart, so the extra support supported us and our climbing in and out of bed. We also stopped at times during the day at rest stops and took naps.
Check out the Outback forum and you will find examples of different home made supports.
Btw, that's a really nice looking place to camp.
Can you give me some links on those, maybe on fixing my current problem?
I just made a post over there:
https://www.outbackers.com/forums/in...howtopic=59009

Takhlakh Lake is heaven on earth. I look forward to that vacation all year long. I went to 6 different mountain lakes last year too, but none compare to that one.
Old 07-08-2018, 05:27 PM   #14
fjr vfr

I too thought your issue was taken care of? Here are a couple links. I just did a search for "bed support" and got tons of links. Hope this helps.

https://www.outbackers.com/forums/in...bed%20+support

https://www.outbackers.com/forums/in...&fromMainBar=1
Old 07-08-2018, 11:10 PM   #15
jack65

Quote:
Originally Posted by fjr vfr View Post
I too thought your issue was taken care of? Here are a couple links. I just did a search for "bed support" and got tons of links. Hope this helps.
That answered the future bed support questions.

My current Problem is different and subject of this post.
The bed came off the rollers in the ceiling rack. If you look at the 1st attached photo, that is what it looks like when it apparently came off the track, (both sides) I'm trying to figure out how to get it back on the track. It is heavy so will take a jack to get it up there, then if you look at the second pic the bed will have to move slightly to the side to get the rod into the slot, then over where it's supposed to be. 3rd pic, facing the bed, the right side is about 6" or so from the bathroom wall and I won't be able to see what I'm doing there? I'm hoping I can do it by pulling the bed out part way and putting it in that way? I'm assuming I should put a plywood board on the floor for the jack, then a 4x4 on the top of jack below the bed ridge.

Any tips on doing this right? I have a strong relative coming to help me this Thursday, so any help is appreciated.
Attached Thumbnails

Views:	220
ID:	17383   Click image for larger version

Name:	0706181823z.jpg
Views:	226
Size:	193.3 KB
ID:	17384   Click image for larger version

Name:	0706181615.jpg
Views:	253
Size:	115.4 KB
ID:	17385  
Old 07-09-2018, 05:48 PM   #16
madmaxmutt

Quote:
That answered the future bed support questions.

My current Problem is different and subject of this post.
The bed came off the rollers in the ceiling rack. If you look at the 1st attached photo, that is what it looks like when it apparently came off the track, (both sides) I'm trying to figure out how to get it back on the track. It is heavy so will take a jack to get it up there, then if you look at the second pic the bed will have to move slightly to the side to get the rod into the slot, then over where it's supposed to be. 3rd pic, facing the bed, the right side is about 6" or so from the bathroom wall and I won't be able to see what I'm doing there? I'm hoping I can do it by pulling the bed out part way and putting it in that way? I'm assuming I should put a plywood board on the floor for the jack, then a 4x4 on the top of jack below the bed ridge.

Any tips on doing this right? I have a strong relative coming to help me this Thursday, so any help is appreciated.
I am no expert, but I have been pretty much where you are now with my Surveyor. http://www.forestriverforums.com/for...nce-72799.html

All you need to do is get the two back to the connection point with the trolley in the track. You have several options. Do that with a jack and some material to spread the load, You could move the slide out to a point where you can lift it to that level. It is basically a boxed lever on a fulcrum, at some point. You could move the slide out far enough where the weight outside makes it contact the trolley fully. Some combination of all of these. . . or Finally, you could take it to a good RV shop.

This depends on your slide type (manual or electric), personal skills, comfort level, available assistance and pocketbook. I assure you, a reasonably skilled adult and a 15 year old assistant can reconnect them. I replaced a trolley just by moving it out about 2/3 and it sat right where I could attach it. IIRC, there was no weight in the trolley at full extension.

I still recommend that inexpensive bent wrench. I know it helped me after I broke down and had one sent. I thought of torching an old junk wrench to that angle, but every one I had was too thick to easily tighten the nuts.
Old 07-11-2018, 06:15 AM   #17
jack65

Two more questions:

1. When are the rollers supposed to be locked?
When bed is in and traveling or when bed is out camping?
See pic of roller attached.

2.I did also notice that both of my trolleys are sitting exactly the same in that the trolley left sides have the single wheel and the right sides have the double wheels.
Looking from the front to the rear mine has double wheels on the left and single on the right.... both tracks.

I'm thinking to swap the wheel positions (180 degrees) when I had the trolley off so the both sides now have the two wheels towards their respective outside wall. Thoughts?
Attached Thumbnails

Views:	221
ID:	17430  
Attached Images

Old 07-11-2018, 04:18 PM   #18
madmaxmutt

Quote:
Two more questions:

1. When are the rollers supposed to be locked?
When bed is in and traveling or when bed is out camping?
See pic of roller attached.
That lever/lock on the trolley should always be locked, if they are like both of mine have been. That is only to remove the trolley from the track and slide.

Quote:
2.I did also notice that both of my trolleys are sitting exactly the same in that the trolley left sides have the single wheel and the right sides have the double wheels.
Looking from the front to the rear mine has double wheels on the left and single on the right.... both tracks.
That looks like a quote from my old thread Yes, I made mine a mirror image. IIRC, with the double wheels towards the trailer side wall.
Old 07-11-2018, 07:41 PM   #19
jack65

Quote:
That lever/lock on the trolley should always be locked, if they are like both of mine have been. That is only to remove the trolley from the track and slide.

That looks like a quote from my old thread Yes, I made mine a mirror image. IIRC, with the double wheels towards the trailer side wall.
Hahaha! Yes I did... you said it better than I could. Anyways, how did that work out? Is there any particular reason why it was the other way, same on both sides?

Any idea how hard it is to put them the bed back up on the rollers? It has to go in from the side about an inch? My brother in law is going to help me tomorrow.
Old 07-12-2018, 02:38 PM   #20
jack65

Quote:

I went to the RV place where I bought my Outback 18RS to get two levels as I discovered there were none on there when I went camping last week.

I asked some questions about my slider roller that I took with me and he confirmed that both of your quotes above were correct. So I don't know why some here said their double wheels were both the same, instead of each facing the trailer side walls. They should always be locked. He also said it was OK to pull the bed out so I could attached the wheels easier.

My brother in law will be here in an hour and we'll go get it done.

Tags
outback, slide, keystone