Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Technical Corner
Click Here to Login

Old 08-12-2018, 12:48 PM   #1
bacaviness

Bunkhouse is HOT

We have a 2018 Hideout 308BHDS. We have 2 A/C units. They installed the 2nd in the master bedroom (5th wheel part) and it’s like Antarctica there. The main living is fine too but the bunkhouse is noticeably warmer. There is one Vent in the ceiling above the bunk that sits over the outdoor kitchen. There is air coming out. I’ve research different modifications particularly where the air is flowing into Neverland. Please excuse my ignorance but how do we check to see if this is the case and fix it. If it isn’t how do we increase the air flow back there.

Thanks so much!
bacaviness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2018, 01:35 PM   #2
JimQ

Take the cover off of the ceiling vent and place a piece of flexible pipe insulation in the duct work toward the rear. That will direct the cold air out into the bunkhouse instead of the empty space beyond. Hope this helps. There has been threads on this in the past.
JimQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2018, 04:31 PM   #3
BamaRam

I used the blue foam board and tape to block air from going further down the duct.

And I closed off the back air outlet at the unit so all of the cold air is routed through the duct.

Have you pulled the lower cover and plate to check the duct connections at the unit? Also need to check for return air mixing with cold air around the intake/outlet. I used foil tape correct several leaks in there.

There was also excess roofing membrane restrictiing return air flow.

2018 Hideout 31 RBDS
BamaRam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2018, 04:59 PM   #4
bacaviness

Any chance you have a step by step with pictures lol? We are terrified to break something
bacaviness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2018, 05:20 PM   #5
wiredgeorge

Generally, the vents have an outer ring that just pops off. Use a flat blade screw driver and pop off the outer vent ring. When you do that you will se that the inner ring with the louvers is held in its hole by 3 or 4 screws. These are removed and you can then get the louvered part out.

You will then be able to see the width of the A/C duct and the fact that it is just open to the end of the trailer; mainly cooling off the void between roof and ceiling. This is where you stick something in the vent on the side where cold air is being lost. We used one of those round foam things (can't recall name). I had purchased one a few years ago to keep a ladder from damaging my drip rails on the outside of the trailer.

At this point, I suggest you buy a roll of foil A/C tape. It has an adhesive back. I fully sealed the foam thing with this tape and then taped the void over the A/C vent; there was probably already some tape there. I cut this tape into about 4" pieced and laid it vertically to seal the voice between vent and bottom of A/C duct.

Souinds like there was insufficient provision for cooling the BH area. You might want to look into a portable A/C unit if there is a way to exhaust it (like a window). Fans also help puy A/C output by moving the air.

Follow up and let us know how this turns out. You will have to be inventive to get this issue licked.
2006 GL1800 Roadsmith Trike
wiredgeorge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2018, 05:49 PM   #6
JRTJH
Site Team

It sounds like you have only one ceiling vent in the bunkhouse. That is a large area to cool with a single 5" vent. I'd suggest that you pull the vent cover away from the base and use a flashlight/mirror to view beyond the vent opening. Possibly (probably) you have space below the ducting to install a second vent in the bunkhouse, doubling the cool air delivery to that area.

After you consider that, then I'd suggest, as others have, sealing the end run beyond the last vent opening.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is online now   Reply With Quote