Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Tires, Tires, Tires!
Click Here to Login

Old 05-30-2018, 11:00 AM   #1
rwmurphy15

New tires pressure question

I have a Keystone Fuzion 301 Toyhauler that had Carlisle Radial Trail RH tires. ST235/80R16 10ply 85psi. I had my RV inspected and they replaced the Carlisle tires with Gladiator QR35TR tires ST235/85R16 14ply 110psi. I questioned the new tires which the trailer inspection garage called in the tire dealer he gets his tires from that has been in business for 30 years and he told me I should be using a heavier ply tire because of hauling ATV. OK I agreeed with that. Now here is my question I picked up the RV And the inspector said he put 90 psi in the new tires that are rated for 110psi and he said that would be Ok to run the tires with 90 psi. So is it Ok or should I put 110 Pounds in the tires. The rims are rated for 110 psi.
Old 05-30-2018, 11:09 AM   #2
Frank G

So someone replaced your tires without your knowledge? strange, are they paying the bill??. Air pressure is the only thing holding up your RV so to achieve the load carrying capabilities of the new tires they must be inflated to 110 Lbs.
www.travelersrestresort.com
Frank G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2018, 11:16 AM   #3
CWtheMan

Quote:
Originally Posted by rwmurphy15 View Post
I have a Keystone Fuzion 301 Toyhauler that had Carlisle Radial Trail RH tires. ST235/80R16 10ply 85psi. I had my RV inspected and they replaced the Carlisle tires with Gladiator QR35TR tires ST235/85R16 14ply 110psi. I questioned the new tires which the trailer inspection garage called in the tire dealer he gets his tires from that has been in business for 30 years and he told me I should be using a heavier ply tire because of hauling ATV. OK I agreeed with that. Now here is my question I picked up the RV And the inspector said he put 90 psi in the new tires that are rated for 110psi and he said that would be Ok to run the tires with 90 psi. So is it Ok or should I put 110 Pounds in the tires. The rims are rated for 110 psi.
When using "plus sized" tires - and those new ones are considered plus sized - the industry standard requires them to provide - at the very minimum - the amount of load capacity your trailer's original tires provided at the vehicle manufacturer's recommended cold tire inflation pressure. To do that, look on trailer's certification label, tire placard or in the trailer's owner's manual for the tire size and recommended cold inflation pressures.

For this post I'm going to assume the original tires provided 3520# of load capacity at 80 PSI. Your new tires provide 3640# of load capacity at 80 PSI. That surely meets the minimum requirement. However, why not take advantage of the availability of increased load capacity reserves and increase the load capacity up to 10 - 15% above minimum. That looks like what the installers did. You could ask them to provide you with an auxiliary tire placard with the new tire size and their recommended cold inflation pressures - 90 PSI. That auxiliary placard can be placed adjacent to the original tire placard.
CWtheMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2018, 11:24 AM   #4
xrated

Quote:
Your trailer has a GVWR of 13K lbs. I can't imagine the need to go with that "upgrade". Yes, you may have needed new tires, but it sounds more to me like the tire guy needed to unload a set he may have had already. What's the date code on the tires say? I have an Impact 303 with a GVWR of 13K and run the stock size ST235/80R16.
Excessive payload capacity is a wonderful thing

"If it ain't Fast....It ain't Fun"
xrated is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2018, 11:45 AM   #5
roadglide

That's a good question . I have 85 saline g tires index load 4050 lbs . I run 100 lbs there recomened 110 at max load im at 10500 on the tires wiith cat scale . I sugest at least 100 lbs it will help with side tire wear . I have some side wear at 20000 miles I was told more air will help slow the side wear . I don't believe there is advantage having max pressure will help if the load isn't there.
2018 Milwaukee 8 FLRTU roadglide glide ultra
2018 800 Z force spot BUGGY.
500 watts of solar enough power for boon docking.
roadglide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2018, 03:05 PM   #6
rwmurphy15

The new Gladiator tires were 4 month old when installed. The Carlisle tires were 3 years old. The rv tech I personally know him and would trust his judgement. He knows I was not happy replacing the tires that's why he called the tire dealer in to talk to me. I am planning on running some long trips this years and they felt I should replace them so nothing would happen. I was just not to keen on putting a heavier and bigger tire on when the old tire sizes worked well. I never overload my RV my weights are always 1000-1500 under because I have a friend that has truck scales at his business that I use all the time. I never heard of Galdiator tires and could not find any real bad reviews. Since the rv tech knew I was not happy he did not charge me for the inspection and installing the new tires.
Old 05-30-2018, 04:28 PM   #7
gearhead

Yeah, but jeez man, they installed new tires without you knowing it? And you're going to pay for it? No way. Tell them to put your old tires back on and go find the tire YOU want.
2008 Bigfoot 25C9.4 LB Cabover
gearhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2018, 05:27 PM   #8
sourdough
Site Team

New tires aside, I'm with Brent. What the heck are they doing putting a SET of new tires on your trailer without your knowledge? Know them or not, we would be having a "come to me" moment.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2018, 06:04 PM   #9
ChuckS

In the end you will be glad you are running with 14 ply tires instead of 10 ply. Your guy did your a favor but should have called and explained before and gotten your approval.

10 ply tires on a toy hauler is on the edge

2007 GMC Classic club cab 4x4 Duramax LBZ
2014 Alpine 3010 RE. 34 foot fifth wheel
ChuckS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2018, 07:28 PM   #10
willy3805

I installed 14 ply tires on my 333mks. Not because i needed them for load but to make it more stable when pulling . It doesnt sway in a side wind like it use to. As for air pressure fill them up. Air keeps the tire cool. Lower air pressure will build heat shortening the life of the tire.
2013 Lund 2075 prov 300 mercury verado
Gone fishing
willy3805 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2018, 04:42 AM   #11
Stircrazy

you should never automatically run tires at the Max pressure. every tire manufacture has air psi to weight tables for there tires which show how much air pressure to have in the tires for a given weight, if you run over inflated you will burn the center of the tire out.

my truck tires for example when I am empty the charts call for 45 psi in the front and 50 in the back, when I am loaded they call for 45 in the front and 65 in the back (max capacity is 80psi) the rep also told me to keep this model above 45 as below that they can get uneven tire wear. so I keep them at 55 front and back and just increase the back to about 68or 70 when I am going to tow. you need to load up your trailer and see what the weight on the tires is, then email the manufacture of the tire and ask for there chart. that will give you the maximum life for your tire and prevent other heat related issues.

Steve
Stircrazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2018, 06:29 AM   #12
JRTJH
Site Team

I agree with the above statement concerning tow vehicle tires and adjusting tire pressure for a "comfortable ride" as well as "preventing overpressure/under pressure" tire wear. But I disagree with the suggestion to manage ST tires with the same procedure.

LT tires are installed on trucks with a specified weight rating excess. (weight reserve) ST tires do not have the same weight reserve specification and can be installed on a trailer so that the weight rating for the tires equals the trailer axle weight so that there is no "safety margin" or "weight reserve".

Typically, ST tires "age out" long before the tread "wears out". So, unlike LT tires, there is little concern for tread wear. What is of concern is having the reserve capacity to carry the load (trailer weight).

Let's assume that a trailer weighs 6000 pounds and 5000 pounds is on the axles. Four tires (equally loaded) would mean each tire would carry 1250 pounds. If you look at the tire pressure/weight table and air the tires to the "correct pressure for 1250 pounds, you have ZERO reserve capacity (safety margin) for the tire. That means the tire is in the same status as we all "gripe about" on the forum. Keystone installs tires that are rated to carry the GVW with ZERO reserve capacity. So, buying new tires, airing them down to get a "LT tire ride and wear pattern" gives you ZERO reserve capacity.

I believe (YMMV) that keeping ST tires at the maximum sidewall pressure gives the tire the most "reserve capacity" (think safety factor) and provides the least amount of sidewall flex (think heat generation).

Many people fall into the trap of thinking "a tire is a tire" but the technology that produced and the practices to maintain LT tires is not the same technology or maintenance practices to employ ST tires.

While there are some extremes (like SAILUN 14 ply tires) where the tires are so "over-rated" for the load being carried, that airing them down "some" is warranted, even in those situations, where the pressure is reduced, they are still inflated sufficiently so they provide a significant reserve capacity over the actual weight being carried by the tire.

Short response: Don't air down ST tires to carry the weight on the wheel. If you do, you're removing the reserve capacity and putting your tires in the same condition that Keystone did when they installed "barely adequate tires"...

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2018, 12:28 PM   #13
rwmurphy15

For everyone that replied to my question thank you very much. I called 1 other tire dealer that has been in business for a long time and a guy I know who retired with 32 years as a manager of a large tire dealership. In the end I finally called the RV dealership I purchased my Toyhauler from and talked to the shop manager. All 3 told me just what most you told me is I won't regret going to a 14 ply tire. I now see my RV service guy was right Safely First. They did tell me I will have a stiffer riding trailer. I filled the tires up to 110 psi and my wife retired today so we are leaving June 4 to wear the rubber off the new tires. Have a nice Summer everyone!
Old 05-31-2018, 12:52 PM   #14
rwmurphy15

I forgot one more question. With the tires aired up to the 110psi max and are mounted on rims that have a max 110 air pressure stamped on the rim. Are the rims safe when rolling down the highway this summer and the tires pressure increases as the tire gets warmer and the pressure increases above the 110 psi. stamped on the rim.
Old 05-31-2018, 01:19 PM   #15
notanlines

Yes, your rims are safe, evenif you run across the desert.
notanlines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2018, 01:55 PM   #16
sourdough
Site Team

Quote:
I forgot one more question. With the tires aired up to the 110psi max and are mounted on rims that have a max 110 air pressure stamped on the rim. Are the rims safe when rolling down the highway this summer and the tires pressure increases as the tire gets warmer and the pressure increases above the 110 psi. stamped on the rim.
Your rims will be fine. More importantly, HAPPY RETIREMENT to your wife!! Now it's time to go have tons of fun and find out retirement really IS what it's cracked up to be!

And, as you are running the rubber off those new tires in the desert, make sure you have a TPMS on those new tires to monitor them. Don't want to take off on your maiden retirement voyage, blow a tire and take out the side of the trailer. Happy travels!
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2018, 05:05 AM   #17
rwmurphy15

Yes, I have a TPMS system it's 4 years old so I might upgrade. And thanks for letting me know the tire/rim pressures are OK. I have learned a lot from this Forum and the knowledge from everyone is a great help in avoiding costly mistakes while RVing and figuring out any problems. Thanks everyone.
Old 06-03-2018, 08:23 AM   #18
Stircrazy

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRTJH View Post
I agree with the above statement concerning tow vehicle tires and adjusting tire pressure for a "comfortable ride" as well as "preventing overpressure/under pressure" tire wear. But I disagree with the suggestion to manage ST tires with the same procedure.

I believe (YMMV) that keeping ST tires at the maximum sidewall pressure gives the tire the most "reserve capacity" (think safety factor) and provides the least amount of sidewall flex (think heat generation).

the chances of airing down a factory tire are slim to non, not many manufactures give you tires that are rated much more than what you will be fully loaded so full PSI is the norm. I was talking about your truck tires and after market trailer tires like your example of the Sailun tires. If you buy them for the reliability and only need to run them at 80 PSI to get your same capacity as the ones you have now then why would you run them at 110 and burn out the centres.

Steve
Old 06-03-2018, 08:48 AM   #19
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stircrazy View Post
the chances of airing down a factory tire are slim to non, not many manufactures give you tires that are rated much more than what you will be fully loaded so full PSI is the norm. I was talking about your truck tires and after market trailer tires like your example of the Sailun tires. If you buy them for the reliability and only need to run them at 80 PSI to get your same capacity as the ones you have now then why would you run them at 110 and burn out the centres.

Steve
This is the part of your theory on how to air up tires that caused my initial response. IF you buy larger (or heavier rated) tires to improve reliability and provide a safety factor (increased capacity) then "air them down" to carry the load of the OEM factory tires, you are defeating any upgrade you paid for. "Burning out the centers" is not an issue with almost all ST tires. They "age out" at 5 years (some say 7 years now) and almost always need to be replaced based on deterioration, sidewall cracking or age rather than tread wear.

Your money, your tires, your decision, but why buy tires rated at 3800 pounds to give you "reliability and carrying capacity reserves" and air them down so their maximum capacity is 2800 pounds so they "ride like the OEM tires" and the center of the tread doesn't wear???

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2018, 05:50 AM   #20
Stircrazy

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRTJH View Post
Your money, your tires, your decision, but why buy tires rated at 3800 pounds to give you "reliability and carrying capacity reserves" and air them down so their maximum capacity is 2800 pounds so they "ride like the OEM tires" and the center of the tread doesn't wear???
what I am thinking is if I have my normal tires at say 80 psi to carry 2500 lbs (just picking a number out of the air. so now I replace them with a tire that will carry that same 2500 lbs at 60 psi you will get a little smoother ride in the RV and they are at a rated PSI for the weight so heat won't be a concern.

my other concern is I don't know if my rims are rated for 110 psi, but if I want to get rid of my factory crappy tires and go to say the sailun, then I cant run them over what my rim is rated for. if that falls in the proper range for the weight of my trailer than theoretically I should be ok. so in other words if the pressure on the sailun tires for my weight is 80 PSI then I get a better quality tire for the same job as the old tires. so using my fake number from above if my crappy tires are rated at 2500 lbs @ 80 psi and say the new tires are rated at 3200 psi @ 110 psi but in the charts it shows they are rated at 2600 psi @ 80 psi , I can run them at 80psi and have the max weight of the trailer covered but I also get a better quality tire.

Does that make any sense?

Steve

Tags
tires