Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Technical Corner
Click Here to Login

Old 08-04-2018, 09:53 AM   #1
DocWMB

TV Amplifier

I am looking to replace my damaged (oops) Winegard Batwing TV Antennae with an Omni-directional one such as

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B077ZBH4GQ...v_ov_lig_dp_it.

Will the installed (built-in) Amplifier with switch and green LED on switchplate work to power the new Omni-directional one?
Oregon

DocWMB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2018, 10:07 AM   #2
travelin texans

From what I've read on several forums regarding the omnidirectional antenna, I'd stick with the Winegard Sensor batwing with the little extra thingy on it which makes it somewhat directional. You can then get the Winegard app to find the towers wherever you're at to point the antenna. That's what's on mine & have picked 50-60 channels all across the country & have always found channels to watch.
Replacement undetermined
travelin texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2018, 12:00 PM   #3
Pull Toy

+1 for Danny ^^^.

With the Digital Signal being as tricky as it is, I would definitely stay as directional as possible. We added the doo-hickey to the front of our batwing, and did see improvement.

p.s. To keep the OOPS out of our vocabulary, when I raise the antenna, I clip a RED ribbon to the crank. This reminds me to bring 'er down and turn off the signal amplifier as part of the packing up process.

Good Luck,

Pull Toy

Steve & Jan, Ava & Emma (Mini Schnauzers):
2016 F350 Lariat 4X4 Powerstroke CC/SB "PULLTOY V"
2013 Alpine 3535RE "MAGIC CARPET IV"
Proud Navy Vet!
Pull Toy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2018, 02:15 PM   #4
flybouy
Site Team

After the omni directional started showing up I've had a habit of asking people that have them how many channels they are getting. The answers have been consistently for fewer that I get on my bat wing. I did upgrade the amplifier to the sensar pro because it has an audio alert to let you know when the antenna is rec the strongest signal. You already have a hole thru the roof so why not use it. I don't know the extent of your damage but you can replace the arms for little $$.
flybouy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2018, 04:40 AM   #5
JimSchwenk

I miss having the old Winegard with the Wingman that we had on our Dutchman Aerolite. My 26RB has the omnidirectional antenna and it's a POS in my opinion. The trouble is I'm not sure the current mounting location is in a place where I can install the old style with the crank handle. Might be above the edge of a kitchen cabinet. I need to take some measurements, because the current setup is useless.
One thing I could never understand is how TT manufacturers can make a nicer unit, with a regression on some features. My stove now requires you to light the burners by hand. The older, cheaper TT had a spark knob that just took a twist, and voila! I guess it comes down to cost savings.
JimSchwenk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2018, 05:10 AM   #6
ctbruce
Site Team | Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimSchwenk View Post
One thing I could never understand is how TT manufacturers can make a nicer unit, with a regression on some features. My stove now requires you to light the burners by hand. The older, cheaper TT had a spark knob that just took a twist, and voila! I guess it comes down to cost savings.
JRTJH/John wrote me in another post that you can add the striker to your stove.

Chip Bruce, RPh
Kansas City, MO
2016 Impact 312
2017 Silverado 3500HD SRW
ctbruce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2018, 08:08 PM   #7
DocWMB

all for the feedback. I had mistakenly assumed that an omnidirectional antenna that I didn't need to point was an upgrade. After the feedback here, and a review of other posts on the subject, I think I'll just replace the batwing, and check all the 75 ohm connections for tightness. Should be a pretty easy job, and not too expensive with batwing available on Amazon Prime.
Oregon

DocWMB is offline   Reply With Quote