Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Modifications and Upgrades
Click Here to Login

Old 08-03-2017, 05:15 AM   #1
Dave W

Range hood mods

Since my wife has complained about the noise of the range hood fan on this and the previous 5er, likened to a 747 under full take off power, did some 'net wandering and found this little gem, a Fabulous Operating Products upgrade kit to the existing Ventline clunker = http://www.fabulousoperatingproducts.com/upgrade-kit

I try not to be a guinea pig for new products but this one has a good heritage by being a spin off of the original Fantastic Fan's people after FF was bought by Atwood and coming up with a new design.

Question is - does anyone have experience with this range hood mod? Or do I add this to my wish list for next year and become that ahem - $199 guinea pig
Dave W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2017, 05:34 AM   #2
Johnny's Journey

It indicates it uses a squirrel cage fan. They do run quieter. http://docs.wixstatic.com/ugd/a8ba78...215e02a8d8.pdf
Johnny's Journey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2017, 05:35 AM   #3
notanlines

Dave, I have posted on here previously a couple times praising the performance of this gem. It took me about an hour and a half to install it and we have had no problems whatsoever. It is worth every penny. And I might add, it only took an hour and a half because coffee and chatting got in the way. Three very quiet speeds, a light that is twice as bright as the loser you're using now. How can you go wrong?
2021 40' Jayco Eagle
2001 Road king w/matching Harley sidecar
2021 Yamaha X2 Wolverine 1000
notanlines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2017, 11:50 AM   #4
Dave W

JJ - for sure the squirrels run quieter . The blower wheel can turn slower for the same amount of air being moved.

Jim - Thanks. I must have missed your posts on the hood mod. I'll probably order one - heck, maybe even this year instead of waiting for spring. But our lengthy end of $ummer trip i$ coming up $o ,,,,,,,, watch out Maine Coast lobstuhs we're coming after you, ayuh
Old 08-03-2017, 01:23 PM   #5
JRTJH
Site Team

Dave, I installed one in our Cougar a couple of years ago. I'd say it's one of the better mods I've done. We use it regularly when cooking, it's nice to use especially when boiling water for tea and works well to remove excess humidity from the trailer. On low, it's barely audible and moves more air than the OEM fan, on Med, it's still quieter than the OEM fan and on High, it'll pull air through the windows very much like the fantastic roof vent fans. The LED light is a "high/low" as well, much brighter than the OEM light on high and a great night light on low.

I'd say it's well worth the cost if you do much cooking inside the trailer. If we "trade up trailers" I'll be buying another one for the new trailer if I can't take this one with me. I did keep the old range hood, so maybe I can "swap things around" ??? We both like the upgrade and think it's a good mod. There's a thread on here somewhere about 3 years ago, but I don't have internet speed to search for it right now.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2017, 02:07 PM   #6
Dave W

And just when I thought I was pretty well versed on RV goodies, this gets sprung on me I'm convinced we need one.

We do mostly eat in and usually cook, well, not me, I can burn water, so this should work well for SWMBO.

(Maybe we'll have to forego a lobstuh -- or several)
Old 08-03-2017, 05:48 PM   #7
notanlines

Dave, let me school you a little about Maine delectables: Their lobsters are wonderful. Their lobster rolls are good, but slightly overrated. (And overpriced) However, Digby scallops are not only the very best in all the world, none others are even in the running. Yes, you may have to travel to the northern part of the state to partake, but just the scallops are worth the trip. And Mainers are the salt of the earth.....
2021 40' Jayco Eagle
Old 08-03-2017, 06:09 PM   #8
talk2cpu

I modified mine, non-vented unit, with a rheostat mounted just above the on/off switch. This allowed me to still use the circulating fan on a nearly inaudible setting and still move some air. Also added a multi unit LED, now looking for a dimmer for that.
Old 08-03-2017, 06:47 PM   #9
vampress_me

I installed ours this spring. Definitely one of the top mods I've done. The light on it is better for cooking inside, and the nightlight has been used once or twice, and the fan is so nice and quiet. Hubby and I think this fan on the high speed is still quieter than the OEM fan. Worth the money! I also installed it myself and what took the longest was using the Dremel to angle a corner of the fin on the fan box so it would fit flush in the hood vent shroud. Total, it probably took about 1.5-2 hours to install, and I'm slow when it comes to cutting wires since I have to double-check myself before clipping.

2019 F-350 diesel 4x4 CC LB DRW, not the mom taxi anymore...
2021 Alliance Paradigm 340RL
2016 F-350 diesel 4x4 CC LB SRW, mom taxi - sold
2014 Cougar XLite 28RDB - sold
vampress_me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2017, 07:29 PM   #10
Dave W

Quote:
Originally Posted by vampress_me View Post
I installed ours this spring. Definitely one of the top mods I've done. The light on it is better for cooking inside, and the nightlight has been used once or twice, and the fan is so nice and quiet. Hubby and I think this fan on the high speed is still quieter than the OEM fan. Worth the money! I also installed it myself and what took the longest was using the Dremel to angle a corner of the fin on the fan box so it would fit flush in the hood vent shroud. Total, it probably took about 1.5-2 hours to install, and I'm slow when it comes to cutting wires since I have to double-check myself before clipping.
I have my DW about convinced. For me I just shut the hearing aids down (those reminders of misspent youth) so the noisy fan isn't too bad to me😛
Old 08-04-2017, 08:26 AM   #11
Desert185

Quote:
Originally Posted by notanlines View Post
Dave, let me school you a little about Maine delectables: Their lobsters are wonderful. Their lobster rolls are good, but slightly overrated. (And overpriced) However, Digby scallops are not only the very best in all the world, none others are even in the running. Yes, you may have to travel to the northern part of the state to partake, but just the scallops are worth the trip. And Mainers are the salt of the earth.....
The Alaska scallops ain't bad, either. If you're ever in Anchorage go to F Street Station and get the scallops. Just don't watch them add butter.
-2014 Cougar 326SRX, Maxxis tires w/TPMS, wet bolts, two 6v batts.
-Four Wheel 8' Popup Camper.
Desert185 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2017, 08:28 AM   #12
Desert185

We don't use our fan much, but this mod sounds like a winner. Probably use a quiet fan more.
-2014 Cougar 326SRX, Maxxis tires w/TPMS, wet bolts, two 6v batts.
-Four Wheel 8' Popup Camper.
Desert185 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2017, 09:25 AM   #13
Dave W

Quote:
Jim, I have quite possibly spent more time in Maine then some natives. Started RVing there about 1972, spending at least a month, sometimes more every summer. I would leave the family in the p'up or, eventually, a Kounty Aire 5er and commute the 315 miles each way every Monday and Friday. Then there are those two plus years working in Biddeford, living in Portland while building and starting up a garbage burning power plant.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Desert185 View Post
The Alaska scallops ain't bad, either. If you're ever in Anchorage go to F Street Station and get the scallops. Just don't watch them add butter.
Unfortunately we will probably never make it to Alaska, with your part of the world (last year, LV and Boulder City) being about as far as we will get. My wife's back problem just wont take day after day sitting in the truck's passenger seat. We will just have to make do with Maine sea scallops
Old 08-04-2017, 09:27 AM   #14
Dave W

Quote:
Originally Posted by talk2cpu View Post
I modified mine, non-vented unit, with a rheostat mounted just above the on/off switch. This allowed me to still use the circulating fan on a nearly inaudible setting and still move some air. Also added a multi unit LED, now looking for a dimmer for that.
Now that's something you should give some more particulars on as others will have a non-vented unit.
Old 04-13-2018, 10:56 AM   #15
Dave W

Installed the fan today

Wife is happy

It's quiet on all three speeds vs that 747 taking off noise of the original. The light is also great and actually lights up the stove

Took a little longer then expected as the 'kit' mounting flange needed some work to fit flush and the instructions with their thumbnail photos aren't the greatest.

I used the original wiring box as the one they supply really doesn't fit up to the two switches, leaving wiring exposed.

I still have to install the outside grill but that wont happen until I pull the 5er forward and can get a ladder up to it better.
Old 04-14-2018, 01:44 AM   #16
notanlines

See Dave? I told you so! I told you so!
2021 40' Jayco Eagle
Old 04-14-2018, 03:04 AM   #17
Dave W

Quote:
See Dave? I told you so! I told you so!
Yep, ya did!!

What they need to rethink is the length of that mounting flange. Lynette mentioned she had to do the same and I said nahhh. They have to have it figured out but then saw their 2015 manufacturing date sticker .... Oh well, that's why I have cut off tools and a compressor.
Old 04-14-2018, 04:30 AM   #18
JRTJH
Site Team

I had pretty much decided that by now, the company had to have had time to improved the outside grill, but with your comments about the 2015 MFG date, maybe they haven't. If what is in your kit is the same "square grid vent cover" that was in mine, you might want to consider it a "spare part" and keep using the vent cover installed by keystone. It's got the "flap" to seal the vent during washing the RV, heavy rain and when towing. The one the vent company includes doesn't offer any protection (other than a slightly downward tilted grid. It's all open to the outside with no way to close it off except for the slide baffle on the inside assembly.

I left my old vent cover in place until the flapper finally broke, installed the new square one last year. I'm not convinced that when washing the trailer (ours is on the back trailer wall, so it stays dirty from road grime) the water from the hose and soap/water from the scrub brush can easily enter the trailer back wall.

If you do change out your vent, or if the company is installing a different type, please let us know what you think of their "improved, open vent cover"...

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
Old 04-14-2018, 05:22 AM   #19
Dave W

John, the new outside vent* is waiting to be installed but am still a little hesitant until I get a better look at that side wall. Hope it's protected enough from water intrusion. I do not need any delamination as I had to repair on our Titanium with a conventional Ventline flapper type. As far as being careful washing, I always am and don't hit the vent hard with a spray regardless. The design of that vent could have been better with a little more angle if nothing else or a flapper that opens via air pressure. I looked at a Heng's cover but they are too restrictive for this fan

We'll see what happens and I'll report back

*I believe it's a Ventline 2018, but couldn't find a name on it
Old 04-14-2018, 05:34 AM   #20
JRTJH
Site Team

Thanks, Dave. I may just be overthinking the vent situation, but every time I wash the trailer I get an uneasy feeling that water is "dripping down inside the back wall" every time my scrub brush moves over the vent an a big bubble is produced.... It may not be as significant as I fear, so your thoughts and future experience are important. I appreciate your input.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS

Tags
mod, mods