Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Modifications and Upgrades
Click Here to Login

Old 04-22-2017, 03:36 PM   #1
Eddie A.

Best way to mount stuff on RV walls?

So we just returned from our 4 day shakedown trip with our new TT and I'd say it was an overall success. All the major systems worked great no hiccups that I could find. There was the front face of the under bed storage where all the puny staples had pulled out....no sweat, I just shot son heavy duty staples in their place...all fixed.

Now, DW started in about wanting under cabinet paper towel holder, toilet paper holder, towel rod, etc. I think Command brand stuff will do for the bathroom fixtures, but for the paper towel holder, I was thinking revers would be the way to go? Any thought or suggestions are appreciated.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Eddie A. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2017, 04:33 PM   #2
chuckster57
Site Team

I don't allow anything mounted on the walls. Too thin, and even though I keep my trailers long term, I don't like to force the next person to accept my mods. If you must mount things, I would use hollow wall anchors or molly bolts.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2017, 06:18 PM   #3
BuxCamper

Interior walls like the bathroom have studs or backing plates that can be found with a stud finder. Things like paper towel holders can be mounted to cabinets with screws.

-- Mark

I used a multi-billion dollar government satellite navigation system to look for a rubber chicken in a tree!

2017 Bullet 248RKS towed by a 2011 Chevrolet Silverado 5.3L V8 W/ AFM
BuxCamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2017, 06:59 PM   #4
LarrySharon

Location: Rainier, Oregon but my heart is still in Arizona and my wife's heart is in Oregon.
We used command strips on some of the stuff holds very solid. But I did screw in the paper towel holder beneath the counter top against the cabinet wall. I didn't want to put holes in the walls because of not knowing if there is any electrical wires.

Larry/Sharon Ellison
U.S. Navy Retired
Retired from Armstrong World Industries
Retired Period, But Not From Life
2007 Toyota Tundra
2017 Keystone Hideout 22KBSWE
LarrySharon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2017, 07:39 PM   #5
theeyres

We have been buying and selling RV's for the past 49 years and found that buyers don't care at all if we have hung stuff on the walls. We do always patch the holes with the appropriate stuff and unless you know what you are looking at you won't see it. So go for it. It's you house. Personalize it the way you want. Small mollies, screws or command strips all work depending on what you are mounting. We have always just screwed in the toilet paper holder and they have never come loose. Command strips work fine for light stuff as long as you remember they are sticking on wall paper-- so they can actually pull the paper off the wall with heavy stuff.

This place is your house...so go ahead and personalize it. I never have understood the "don't attach anything to the walls because you will sell it at some point." Do you do the same in your stick and bricks house?

2007 33.5' Arctic Fox Fifth Wheel used for full-timing for several years--now sold
2011 Hideout 23RKSWE that we now use for poking around local parks
2007 Chevy 3/4 ton diesel with Prodigy Brake Control
theeyres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2017, 11:43 AM   #6
linux3

Gorilla double sided tape is my go to. It's amazing what it can hold and because it's kinda thick it works on textured walls too. Just don't plan on changing your mind as to location.

https://www.amazon.com/Gorilla-Tough.../dp/B00OXVG9FW
2020 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71 6.2L
linux3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2017, 12:52 PM   #7
sourdough
Site Team

[QUOTE=theeyres;234666]We have been buying and selling RV's for the past 49 years and found that buyers don't care at all if we have hung stuff on the walls. We do always patch the holes with the appropriate stuff and unless you know what you are looking at you won't see it. So go for it. It's you house. Personalize it the way you want. Small mollies, screws or command strips all work depending on what you are mounting. We have always just screwed in the toilet paper holder and they have never come loose. Command strips work fine for light stuff as long as you remember they are sticking on wall paper-- so they can actually pull the paper off the wall with heavy stuff.

This place is your house...so go ahead and personalize it. I never have understood the "don't attach anything to the walls because you will sell it at some point." Do you do the same in your stick and bricks house?[/QUOTE]

Unfortunately I do. My wife doesn't understand it either. I just hate holes in the wall, won't buy a house with them (at least lots of them) or most anything else (guess that's why I have my houses built).

Returned a couple of months ago from FL where we helped renovate a house for my granddaughter. One of the biggest issues was fixing all the holes in the walls and then repainting the ENTIRE house due to it. Not one of my favorite things (fixing/building/fabricating - yes. Painting - no)

Maybe I'll change before I kick the bucket and make a hall like my parents with pictures lining it on both sides and stuff nailed/screwed/mollied/sticky stripped on every available space on the other walls. When dad passed away I didn't even try to fix it - didn't want to mess with it. Called a guy that had said he might be interested, told him to give me a price and I took it on the spot. About 1/4-1/3 of what it was worth but in my mind all the divots on the walls just took the value away from it. Not saying I've got the answer - it's just a quirk I have much to the chagrine of DW.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2017, 02:50 PM   #8
Javi

We cut velcro sheet to fit the occasion. Can't see trying to get nails or screws to hold in a trailer wall. I have repaired a few screws that have pulled out of the wall like for the blinds and for that I've used small toggle anchors.

Javi
Old 04-30-2017, 08:13 PM   #9
talk2cpu

We found that nothing sticks to our wall or cabinet surfaces, at least not for long. After picking up multiple items that were hung with Command strips, I decided small sheetmetal screws AND command strips could work. It does and everything I have hung that way is still there after 20+ thousand miles. Bathroom did not have towel or paper holders, what's with that anyway, so I attached an oak 1 X 4 from floor to ceiling, screw at top of wall hit aluminum framing, and the remainder the fixture screws penetrated the wall surface AND command strips sandwiched at those.
How do you locate the aluminum framing? My stud finder only finds steel, wood and electrical and I know for sure the magnet type would be of no use. Other than living in it in cold weather so the condensation collects at the aluminum studs (yes, I marked them) I have found no other way to find them.
Tom
Old 05-13-2017, 07:02 PM   #10
mom2budnbug

We have used command hooks and the command picture hanging velcro strips. We are upgrading to a 5er and just removed everything we had hanging. All of the command hooks came of easy and didn't leave any marks.

2003 Silverado 4wd Xcab 2500HD Duramax
2014 Bullet 230BHSWE
mom2budnbug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2017, 09:35 PM   #11
lawdog130

For mounting on wood surfaces I use screws. Unfortunately the bathroom didn't offer much in the way of storage and when travelling with my wife and daughter that was a problem as the tub was always full of totes full of hair and make up products.

To solve this problem I mounted two wire racks (the kind designed for the back of a pantry or closet door). The wall was very thin so I realized I wouldn't be able to put anything very heavy in the racks but it's perfect for toiletries. To mount them I used automotive pop rivets. Most of the weight in the racks is pushing down (shear) and not pulling out away from the wall. They have been installed for three camping seasons and are still tight and show no sings of coming loose.

2015 Passport 2810BH
2015 Ram 1500 5.7 Hemi
lawdog130 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2017, 09:39 PM   #12
Alpine

"Command" Hooks & Velcro work fantastic!

Jeff & Jan - Retired & Full-timing since 2013
2019 Ram Big Horn 3500 Aisin 4x4
2012 Alpine 3450-RL
Double Coin 235/75R-17.5/16 J rated 125lb
Alpine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2017, 07:45 PM   #13
stewartx

For permanent items (paper towel holders, bath towel rods, toilet paper holder, etc), I rivet them in place. Wood paneling, cardboard walls, or aluminum framing, never had a rivet come loose yet. Easy to drill out and push into the wall if not needed anymore. For light duty items, like others, I'm also a fan of Command Strips. However, never had one come off without defacing the wallpaper, so beware of that possibility.
stewartx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2017, 08:33 PM   #14
theeyres

With a little tiny bit of work it is very easy to fill any holes in that cheapy stuff they cover the walls with. I defy anybody to see where I've filled holes. 3M, velcro, holes. I use them all. It's your trailer. Why not make it comfortable?

2007 33.5' Arctic Fox Fifth Wheel used for full-timing for several years--now sold
2011 Hideout 23RKSWE that we now use for poking around local parks
2007 Chevy 3/4 ton diesel with Prodigy Brake Control
theeyres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2017, 05:46 AM   #15
MSB1766

This is the paper towel holder we put in our camper, came with the command strips, it is on the wall really well.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
MSB1766 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2020, 05:41 PM   #16
paulprice

Not directly related to your post bue we have used these for years. Moves out to the picnic table easily and stowed away for travel. https://www.crateandbarrel.com/frenc...BoC-I4QAvD_BwE
paulprice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2020, 05:55 PM   #17
KRumm

If you want it to hold you need to use 3” stainless screws!...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	55EE957C-7EAE-4F3C-98EA-3EE9FA7315C8.jpeg
Views:	186
Size:	43.2 KB
ID:	26926  
KRumm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2020, 06:10 PM   #18
debnana

It's our home away from home, so we hang what we want. Lots of hd command strips and small sm screws. Never had anything fall. Last 2 units we sold, buyers were not interested in tiny holes in walls, but the excellent condition that the units were in. Same with homes. Have sold four, and nail holes did not affect price of sale. Life's too short, enjoy your camper.
debnana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2020, 06:55 PM   #19
paulprice

Ha, thats great, you can hang things from the outside also!
paulprice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2020, 07:21 PM   #20
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by KRumm View Post
If you want it to hold you need to use 3” drywall screws!...
Time to hit the Lowe's specialty hardware section... Two white "thumb caps and one black one... YIKES !!!

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is online now   Reply With Quote