Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Towing
Click Here to Login

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 08-13-2017, 10:57 AM   #31
Johnny's Journey
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2017
Location: Downey, Ca.
Posts: 214
Quote:
Originally Posted by Javi View Post
You know in reading your posts I get the feeling that you think you're trying to teach us something.
No Sir very much the opposite. I've tried to explain in length what seemed to be missing for me to understand better. But rather the Senior/Veteran members seemingly frown upon it and I've backed way off on making post's and replying. I can do my own learning by just reading. I have learned a lot here and I thank all of you for your experience. We are not Children and need to be treated like one. Be upset with where the RV Industry has put you, not us.
__________________

Johnny's Journey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2017, 04:24 PM   #32
Javi
Senior Member
 
Javi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Waco, Tx
Posts: 2,560
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny's Journey View Post
No Sir very much the opposite. I've tried to explain in length what seemed to be missing for me to understand better. But rather the Senior/Veteran members seemingly frown upon it and I've backed way off on making post's and replying. I can do my own learning by just reading. I have learned a lot here and I thank all of you for your experience. We are not Children and need to be treated like one. Be upset with where the RV Industry has put you, not us.
I guess that's the point, I don't see that the RV industry has done anything to me except give me and others exactly what we've asked for. It may not be the best solution but we have bigger bathrooms, more storage space, larger kitchens, air conditioners, and other things that we have all asked for over the years.

The truck manufacturers have for several years now been giving us a larger and larger trucks with better braking and better pulling power in order to handle the larger trailers that we've asked for.

As a design engineer I have some understanding of exactly what it takes to stop these things and as far as that goes to pull them safely. I'm sorry if I cannot explain it to you to your liking or your understanding but in order to pull these larger trailers it takes more truck, it's simply that simple.

An F-150 just simply isn't capable of safely Towing a 10,000 lb plus trailer, it's just not.

As for the brakes on the trailer, they meet industrial accepted standards should they be larger probably are they going to be anytime soon no. So we're stuck with larger trucks for stopping but not just for stopping, you need the weight of the vehicle to control the trailer.

Javi
__________________

__________________
'15 Cougar 333MKS
'15 F350XL DRW, 6.7, CC, LB, 3:73 RWD LS, 14K GVWR, 6062 LBS payload
Javi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2017, 08:30 PM   #33
Johnny's Journey
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2017
Location: Downey, Ca.
Posts: 214
Quote:
Originally Posted by Javi View Post
An F-150 just simply isn't capable of safely Towing a 10,000 lb plus trailer, it's just not.
I agree 100%
Johnny's Journey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2017, 10:57 AM   #34
drew999999
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2017
Location: Central Iowa
Posts: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Javi View Post
I guess that's the point, I don't see that the RV industry has done anything to me except give me and others exactly what we've asked for. It may not be the best solution but we have bigger bathrooms, more storage space, larger kitchens, air conditioners, and other things that we have all asked for over the years.

The truck manufacturers have for several years now been giving us a larger and larger trucks with better braking and better pulling power in order to handle the larger trailers that we've asked for.

As a design engineer I have some understanding of exactly what it takes to stop these things and as far as that goes to pull them safely. I'm sorry if I cannot explain it to you to your liking or your understanding but in order to pull these larger trailers it takes more truck, it's simply that simple.

An F-150 just simply isn't capable of safely Towing a 10,000 lb plus trailer, it's just not.

As for the brakes on the trailer, they meet industrial accepted standards should they be larger probably are they going to be anytime soon no. So we're stuck with larger trucks for stopping but not just for stopping, you need the weight of the vehicle to control the trailer.

Javi
But getting back to OPs original situation, his truck IS capable of stopping a 6500lb trailer (say 7500lb loaded) TT if the brakes and controller are maintained and adjusted properly. I've just seen so many topics around needing a 3/4-1 ton if pulling a longer trailer because of stopping power, but other threads saying that the same weight 30ft TT is good to go. There is no logic to the madness that goes on in these threads. The length of the TT really doesn't play into the stopping capabilities as the mass isn't any difference if the weights are the same. I could see in some types of jack-knife emergency situations, but the extra 500-1000lbs curb weight that a 3/4 ton has won't save you if the TT decides to go sideways.

I've adjusted my TT so that it nearly locks up if I do a max current test with my factory controller. I've never felt the trailer attempt to push my truck when I've had to brake hard. I can say that from a stopping perspective, by boat trailer with surge brakes has tried to push me slightly when stopping fast. Never felt this with the TT.
drew999999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2017, 01:09 PM   #35
Johnny's Journey
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2017
Location: Downey, Ca.
Posts: 214
Quote:
Originally Posted by drew999999 View Post
I've adjusted my TT so that it nearly locks up if I do a max current test with my factory controller. I've never felt the trailer attempt to push my truck when I've had to brake hard. I can say that from a stopping perspective, by boat trailer with surge brakes has tried to push me slightly when stopping fast. Never felt this with the TT.
Excellent analogy containing both TV and TT.
Johnny's Journey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2017, 05:37 PM   #36
Kensley193
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2017
Location: Croswell
Posts: 3
I pull that trailer with my 2011 f150 v6 1/2 ton truck and use the equalizer hitch. Obviously due to having the half ton truck I did a ton of research and shopping before deciding on this trailer. My truck pulls it like a champ!
__________________

Kensley193 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
passport, passport 3320bh, tow, tow vehicle

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump

Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.3

All times are GMT -8. The time now is 07:05 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.9
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
This forum is owned and operated by Social Knowledge, LLC. It is not authorized or endorsed by the Keystone RV Company and is not affiliated with the Keystone RV Company or its related companies in any way. Keystone RV® is a registered trademark of the Keystone RV Company.