Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > General RV Issues
Click Here to Login

Old 07-27-2017, 05:06 AM   #1
gearhead

Water spots...Victory

I've been doing battle with water spots for a while. I've posted on here about it. I've bought probably $200 worth of products. None worked.
Background...last year I noticed one side of the 5th wheel was getting a dull chalky look. That is the side that faces south/southwest. At first I thought it was the roof causing it, or I didn't rinse the side after I cleaned the roof. But it has been getting progressively worse. I have come to the conclusion it is dew getting cooked on. If you have seen a camper in the morning with dew/condensation everywhere except the where the framing is, that is where the water spots are accumulating. After the dew dries, I can still see where all the framing is. That area is darker and close to the original color (gray) and the remainder of the side is a dull chalky color. Really obvious. Waxing didn't help, one and done polish/waxes didn't help. I realized I needed to get something done while, or if, I could. Last week I was reading on my fishing forum (2coolfishing.com) about someone having the same problem on a boat that sat outside. Two products were discussed: 3M Marine Compound and Chemical Guys Boat Heavy Cutting Compound. Chem Guys was 1/2 price of the 3M, so I bought that. I used my Porter-Cable random orbit buffer and a Chem Guys yellow Hex Logic pad. Hot dang it works. Last night when it cooled off to a balmy 90 degrees at dusk I got about a 4' x 6' area done. Now I can plan on doing a little bit at a time just before sunset, or maybe pulling the camper on the driveway and doing it after sunset with lights. Yeah, it's that hot and humid here.
So I'm feeling all victorious and proud of myself. Last night I went in the house and told the DW....I just saved us $40,000, come look at this!! We don't have to trade the camper off on a new one!!!
2008 Bigfoot 25C9.4 LB Cabover
gearhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2017, 05:30 AM   #2
kfxgreenie

The trick now is to keep it waxed/sealant often so they don't come back. The DA buffers kick arse, I have a porter cable as well. On vehicles i like the Meguiar's DA 2 step kit followed up by some DODO juice wax. On the RV nose (colored not painted) I wax every three trips out with regular Meguiar's cleaner wax (orange pad) after using the marine 3 step the first time (2 years ago) to correct the oxidation.

https://www.amazon.com/Meguiars-DMCK.../dp/B004VFWUXK

https://www.amazon.com/Meguiars-Mari...eguiars+marine

https://www.amazon.com/Meguiars-A121...rs+cleaner+wax

On Edit: Oh yeah I'm the guy at the campground that once I'm unhooked I stand on my bed rail and use instant detailer to get the bugs off the cap.
kfxgreenie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2017, 05:45 AM   #3
gearhead

I used the Meguairs marine wax and the cleaner/wax. Both are good products but didn't help my problem. Also used the Meguairs cut and polish liquid products, no help. The old red bottle Meguairs is great especially for the price. The red bottle detailer is good for between waxes. I have used 3M marine performance wax on the front cap as well, good stuff. The Klasse products have worked well on my cars. I've been using the Meguairs Ultimate wash wax for a while. The yellow snotty stuff...works good.
I will have to really watch the south side, the other side looks pretty good with just an occasional wash.
DODO. Never heard of it. Looked at it on Amazon. I have about 3 lifetimes supply of car waxes now.
2008 Bigfoot 25C9.4 LB Cabover
gearhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2017, 05:52 AM   #4
Desert185

I'm the guy who wipes bugs off the airplane's leading edge of the wings and nose cowling with only a wet micro fiber towel because I use this:

http://www.aircraftspruce.com/catalo...ickkey=1705716

Works great on the vehicles and trailer, too.
-2014 Cougar 326SRX, Maxxis tires w/TPMS, wet bolts, two 6v batts.
-Four Wheel 8' Popup Camper.
Desert185 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2017, 06:06 AM   #5
kfxgreenie

Quote:
Originally Posted by gearhead View Post
I used the Meguairs marine wax and the cleaner/wax. Both are good products but didn't help my problem. Also used the Meguairs cut and polish liquid products, no help. The old red bottle Meguairs is great especially for the price. The red bottle detailer is good for between waxes. I have used 3M marine performance wax on the front cap as well, good stuff. The Klasse products have worked well on my cars. I've been using the Meguairs Ultimate wash wax for a while. The yellow snotty stuff...works good.
I will have to really watch the south side, the other side looks pretty good with just an occasional wash.
DODO. Never heard of it. Looked at it on Amazon. I have about 3 lifetimes supply of car waxes now.
LOL it's an addiction, I'm guilty too. My last trial was Wolfgang Sealant. That works well too. The DODO goes on so easy and takes so little. The little sample jars will do at least 2 vehicles.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Desert185 View Post
I'm the guy who wipes bugs off the airplane's leading edge of the wings and nose cowling with only a wet micro fiber towel because I use this:

http://www.aircraftspruce.com/catalo...ickkey=1705716

Works great on the vehicles and trailer, too.
I've seen you mention this stuff multiple times. One of these times it will get added to my stable to try on the RV nose.
kfxgreenie is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
water