Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Tow Vehicles
Click Here to Login

Old 03-17-2019, 04:36 PM   #1
JYR

New Tow Vehicle

Ok guys here’s where I’m at. Starting fresh from scratch. Just bought 2019 F250 Lariat. No RV yet. Need advise on either bumper pull but prefer 5th wheel. With the photos I have attached can you please advise where I should be in max dry weight of rv I should be looking for? Thanks Jim
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	016DBDE8-4062-4385-8239-F001E0C84431.jpg
Views:	194
Size:	249.5 KB
ID:	20875   Click image for larger version

Name:	10DD740A-C38A-4EC8-80FD-F246B6D69735.jpg
Views:	200
Size:	139.8 KB
ID:	20876  
JYR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2019, 05:08 PM   #2
Gegrad

I don't know much about 5th wheels, but you can safely pull well within limits pretty much any TT with that truck (aside from maybe a ridiculous park model). The disclaimer is it also depends on who else will be travelling with you. Kids, other adults, pets?
Gegrad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2019, 06:26 PM   #3
ctbruce
Site Team | Emeritus

Dont use dry weight to determine what to get. It only weighs that once when it comes off the line before anything is added. Use gross weight. Heres a link to a good video to help you out.

https://rvsafety.com/rv-education/ma...ks-to-trailers

And remember pulling it is not the same as pulling it safely or stopping it.

Chip Bruce, RPh
Kansas City, MO
2016 Impact 312
2017 Silverado 3500HD SRW
ctbruce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2019, 06:55 PM   #4
JRTJH
Site Team

A Lariat with a 3123 payload, I'd guess it's a 6.2L gas engine 4x4?

Whether you can tow a "larger fifth wheel" depends significantly on who many people, how much cargo, the weight of the hitch you select and the size (weight) of trailer you might consider.

As an example, you can likely tow any of the "smaller Cougar Half Ton trailers, but once the empty pin weight gets up close to 2,000 pounds, the loaded weight will probably be over 2500. That means you probably won't have enough payload to carry passengers, hitch, some cargo and the trailer.

Of course, a lot depends on what you plan to carry in addition to the trailer.

Maybe some additional information on what you plan to have in the truck (passengers/cargo/etc) and what size/style/features you're looking for in a trailer. That would help "zero in" on some rigs that might be in the weight range with the features you want. For instance, about 40% of trailers are bunk house floorplans, if you're retired, just you and/or a spouse, should you not want a bunkhouse, that would eliminate about half the possibilities. If, on the other hand, you're looking "ONLY" at bunkhouses, or "ONLY" at front kitchens, or "ONLY" at opposing slides or "ONLY" at king bed models... Well, you get the idea. Help us by giving us what info you have about what you're looking for.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2019, 07:17 PM   #5
cookinwitdiesel

Without a dually, you are limited on your fifth wheel selection and will always end up at your limits it seems unless you get a small trailer. I would just get whatever TT you want and bumper pull it. Many of the new 2019 options from Keystone have fifth-wheel like floorplans in TTs now which is nice. Check out some of the new Sprinter, Outback, and Hideout floorplans to see what I mean.
(OLD) 2018 Keystone Hideout 28RKS Travel Trailer
cookinwitdiesel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2019, 07:24 PM   #6
sourdough
Site Team

Simple answer...you will be VERY limited on any 5th wheel. I have a 3200 lb. payload and would not buy any 5th wheel that would fit our needs. Thoughts;

5th wheels carry a LOT more load to put on the truck. If you take a 10,000 lb. bumper pull figure on approx. 1200 lbs. to deduct from your payload; the same weight in a 5th wheel...figure 2000 lbs.

I also figure you are running the gas engine vs the diesel. You have the truck so you are doing the right thing trying to ascertain what you can/should pull. Remember the gas engine does not have the "guts" of the diesel (pulling power/torque) so hills, wind etc. will cause it to "work".

Bottom line for me; I have a 12.5k towing limit. I don't want to go over my 10k gvw trailer, and most of all, the 11-1200lb. tongue weight of my trailer. 2000 lbs. would be a NO go - payload is very important and the lower weight gives me SO much latitude in what I carry....or NOT carry.

Forget, forever, thinking about "dry" weights. Use the gvw. It's the only safe way to try to figure weights and take care of yourself and your family. GVW was there when it fell of the end of the assembly line; when they installed the batteries and propane (or anything else) those numbers were just ancient history never to be repeated.

Remember, to me, you should always keep a cushion of about 15% between actual weight and max numbers....to be safe for you and yours (tires included).
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2019, 06:49 AM   #7
Laredo Tugger

To the OP.
You are smart to come here before visiting the RV dealer. The above advice is pertinent and solid. I have been on here a while and have noticed the names of those that give good true facts and advice regularly. A few of those are posted above. As stated more info about your TV and a particular RV (before purchase) would really improve the ability to profile a correct and safely weighted RV for you. There are a few videos and weight calculation sites to help as well. And remember air bags,beefed up suspensions,tougher tires,ect..... do not change the numbers on the door sticker. Except by adding weight and decreasing payload I suppose.

DO NOT let a dealer steer you into something to satisfy his/her sales quotas. The more trailer he sales you the more money he makes. They are not all evil. If you have a chance (not limited by geographics ) shop around and compare dealerships. Also consider reviews of dealers performance, mostly their service departments. And dare I say it, one uphill battle you want to avoid is with DW. What she see's as "the one" and what you see maybe miles (in this case "pounds") apart. Let her know ahead of the "shopping" trip what your limits are. A cheap bouquet of flowers on her seat in your truck might make this task a little easier.

I have seen so many on here post their (after purchase) combination. And then get a reality check on tongue weight,WDH, dry weight ect... and then have to make what is usually a very expensive adjustment. How do I know? I was one of those. After doing the research I should have done BEFORE purchase I ended up getting a combination that I am comfortable with but is limited unless I wish to visit a DRW dealership. I know that through the folks on here.
Good luck
RMc

P.S. If you are new to the lingo here:
TV= Tow vehicle
You know what RV is.
DW=Dear wife
WDH=Weight distribution hitch
DRW= Dual rear wheel

There is a list of others somewhere on here. If you are active/former military or something like that,this stuff will come easy for you.
Laredo Tugger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2019, 11:51 AM   #8
Tbos

You have a nice new truck that can haul a lot of travel trailer. There are trailers out there now that have floor plans similar to a 5th wheel. We have a friend that has one. Enjoy the search and please post pictures when you finally decide on a rig. It doesn’t matter what brand you buy. We welcome everyone.
Tbos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2019, 12:49 PM   #9
Fishsizzle

So really though this could pack one of those “1/2” ton 5th wheels? Arctic Fox has a bunch of small 5vers
Fishsizzle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2019, 03:16 PM   #10
JRTJH
Site Team

"Half Ton Fifth Wheel" is a market "catch phrase" that is almost as "blatantly false" as "Your truck will pull anything on the lot"....

There are some light weight fifth wheels that do well with 3/4 ton trucks and a limited few that are OK with a "specially equipped half ton truck"... NOTE: Not "any half ton, but specially equipped half ton"....

Your F250 has about the same payload as our 2013 F250 supercab gas truck. Our Cougar 27RKS (7200 pounds dry weight/1120 pin weight) is well suited for that truck and we towed it without any problems. In 2014 when we were looking, the 28SGS was about the largest fifth wheel I'd consider "OK" for that truck. We now have a 2015 diesel F250 with significantly less payload and although we're "on the upper limit" of payload and truck GVW, I feel comfortable with our 30' XLite fifth wheel. I'm happy we didn't choose the 28SGS, it may not have been "under the payload or GVW.

There are offerings from all the RV manufacturers that are aimed at "half ton owners" and some of those models are well suited for a 3/4 ton truck although many of them really are in the 1 ton truck range. So, do your homework carefully and don't let the "bling offset the common sense".....

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2019, 04:01 PM   #11
rhagfo

Quote:
Originally Posted by JYR View Post
Ok guys here’s where I’m at. Starting fresh from scratch. Just bought 2019 F250 Lariat. No RV yet. Need advise on either bumper pull but prefer 5th wheel. With the photos I have attached can you please advise where I should be in max dry weight of rv I should be looking for? Thanks Jim

well I will state that you should have thought of getting a F350 for the new TV.
So you have a 3,123# payload per the sticker, and you would like to carry and pull a 5er..
So now come the negatives.
What have you added to the new truck since you picked up from the dealer?
Tool Box?
Bed Cover?
Running Boards?
Now who and what do you carry in the TV when towing?
Passengers, how many and how big? The 150# driver is considered part of the trucks curb weight.
Hitch.
So what are we looking at 300 to 600#?
Now at 2,823# to 2,523# (maybe) for 5er pin, sounds like a lot. The next step is take the TV to the scales, fuel full, all passengers, pets, STUFF, and hitch. You should get a scale slip with two weights on it front axle and rear axle, add those together and subtract from your 10,000# GVWR for your TV. Well is it close to what you figured??
Most of the 1/2 Cougars are in the 10,000#+ GVWR with not large carrying capacity.
Our 32' 12,700# 5er has a 2,700# pin.
Don't mean to be a downer, but payload gets eaten quickly with a 5er.
Visit and enjoy Oregon State Parks
rhagfo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2019, 04:35 PM   #12
ADQ K9

Forget about the 5er with your truck. I have a similar truck. Mind you mine is a 350 with a diesel 11,500 GVW and my payload is very similar to yours. I can't remember it off the top of my head but those numbers sound familiar.
A TT will leave your bed open for whatever else you need to haul ATV's, bikes boats, dogs, mother inlaws etc. I built and ordered my truck and a 5er was never in the plan. 3 years from now I do plan to upgrade to a 5er but I will upgrade my TV to a F450 also. You can safely pull a 5er with a SRW but going that route I would suggest a DRW truck.
Connected by a Curt 15K WDH W/Sway Control
ADQ K9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2019, 02:12 AM   #13
Frank G

https://www.fleet.ford.com/towing-guides/

Please reference the above guide for real data about towing with your new vehicle. Personal experience with towing with a vehicle like yours says you will run out of towing power with a trailer of any kind over 10,000 lbs. Not so much on the flats but in the hills. With that said I would stick with a trailer with a GVWR under 10,000 lbs. Another opinion; a 5th wheel always tows easier and better with less driver input and fatigue than a travel trailer.

Pack wisely and enjoy
www.travelersrestresort.com
Frank G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2019, 02:15 PM   #14
Brantlaker

The most you can tow is 12,500 lb.How well you can tow it depends on what size diff you have if it is a stock it is a 3.55 (a real dog on hills) a 3.73 is better (what I use) is better but a 4.10 is best.with a 6.2 Gas engine. I personally would recommend a 8,000 lb 5th wheel as they are more stable on the road.

2012 Cougar 318SAB
2015 F350 SWD 4X4 3.55 Rear
Brantlaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2019, 03:15 PM   #15
rhagfo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brantlaker View Post
The most you can tow is 12,500 lb.How well you can tow it depends on what size diff you have if it is a stock it is a 3.55 (a real dog on hills) a 3.73 is better (what I use) is better but a 4.10 is best.with a 6.2 Gas engine. I personally would recommend a 8,000 lb 5th wheel as they are more stable on the road.
?????
I am sorry, when I was carrying/towing our 12,500# 5er with our 2001 Ram 2500 @ 1,700# over GVWR, but within axle and tire ratings, I had no stability issues. It was the thought of legal issues if involved in an accident! That and we are full time and DW didn’t want to drive the manual. I KNEW where I stood on tire and axle ratings and was good and very good!
It is soooo much better with the 2016 Ram 3500 DRW!
Visit and enjoy Oregon State Parks
rhagfo is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
tow, tow vehicle