Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Lite Weight Trailers
Click Here to Login

Old 03-10-2019, 04:48 PM   #21
Controller23

Towing without a weight distribution hitch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Logan X View Post
I think for a lot of half ton trucks, the manufactures tow guide says a WDH is required to tow.

I think you’re 100% wrong about that or they wouldn’t be able to claim whatever poundage towing capacity without also providing the wdh..
Controller23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2019, 04:51 PM   #22
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Controller23 View Post
I think you’re 100% wrong about that or they wouldn’t be able to claim whatever poundage towing capacity without also providing the wdh..
Why is that ???? They all advertise specific mileage information without providing the gas......

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2019, 05:16 PM   #23
Logan X

Quote:
Page 5 of the GM towing guide seems to indicate a WDH hitch or what they call a weight carrying hitch is required for tandem axle trailers over 4000 pounds I think.

https://www.gmfleet.com/content/dam/...wing-guide.pdf
Logan X is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2019, 05:22 PM   #24
CrazyCain

Single Axle. on my hideout

2011 Chevy Silverado
1500, HD Tow Package
2017 Keystone Hideout 177LHS Carlisle Radial HDs
:
CrazyCain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2019, 05:30 PM   #25
JRTJH
Site Team

Ford's 2018 Towing Guide can be downloaded here: https://www.fleet.ford.com/resources...e_r8_May15.pdf

Refer to page 37 for the F150 towing limitations:

F-150 (without W/D) 5,000 500 (with W/D) 13,200 1,320

It's clear that Ford recommends a weight distribution hitch for any trailer with a tongue weight greater than 500 pounds or a GVW greater than 5000 pounds. That's darn near everything Keystone produces when you consider propane, batteries and normal camping cargo.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
Old 03-10-2019, 05:33 PM   #26
Logan X

Quote:

Page 18 of Fords towing guide says you have to have WDH for max towing capacity. It in the small print at the bottom of the page.

https://www.fleet.ford.com/resources...e_r8_May15.pdf
Logan X is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2019, 06:05 PM   #27
sourdough
Site Team

Quote:

Stop with listening to "claims" - they are hype. You are being given real life knowledge and experience. Your vehicle will be limited to some number, maybe 500 lbs., on the hitch. With a WDH that number can double and more - all trucks, all manufacturers that I know of. Read the hitch, study up.

Why you seem resistant to a wdh/sway control is beyond me. At 5400 lbs. (as I recall) there is enough weight back there that you should want, no, insist that a wdh was there along with a sway control. The trailer is almost 26' long....behind a 1/2 ton. You ever had a whirl wind catch you with something like that behind a 1/2 ton with no sway control?? I doubt it - I have - once. The ONLY reason you put the sway control on there is to...."control" the towed vehicle; without it you are at the mercy of the gods.

You are the one responsible for the safety of your family and others - no one else. Personally I take that very seriously and do everything I can to make sure I have taken advantage of all safety measures available. I would encourage you to listen to the advice being given and take advantage of it. No one here is trying to, or wants to, argue with you. All have the well being of you and yours in mind. If you disagree because you bought a new truck and think it can tow the Titanic then by all means give it a whirl.
sourdough is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2019, 06:16 PM   #28
JRTJH
Site Team

Going a tad bit further, I checked the owner's manual and the Chevrolet website's towing guide.

Here's the link to the 2018 Chevrolet 1500 https://my.chevrolet.com/content/dam...ers-manual.pdf

On page 317 are the maximum tongue weights for towing:

1500 Weight-Carrying 318 kg (700 lb)
1500 Weight-Distributing 567 kg (1,250 lb)

Keep in mind those are from the 2018 manual (earlier models are typically lower) and under ideal conditions.

ALL hitch receivers that are welded/bolted to any truck frame have a sticker or a stamped information plate that lists the maximum "load carrying capacity" and the maximum "weight distribution capacity"... Typically, on half ton trucks that rating is 500/1000 pounds maximum tongue weight. Some newer receivers are rated at 650/1200 pounds maximum tongue weight...

NO hitch that I've seen on a half ton truck is rated to carry a "non-weight distribution hitch" load greater than 650 pounds. There are several "HD Truck receivers" rated significantly higher and they are not typically mounted on half ton trucks (although who knows what someone might have welded to his truck for bragging rights)....

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
Old 03-11-2019, 08:27 AM   #29
Controller23

Quote:
Originally Posted by sourdough View Post

Why you seem resistant to a wdh/sway control is beyond me. .

Sorry if it seems that way, I have decided to get one, not sure which but probably the equalizer. I have just been trying to get as much information as possible about why it’s needed and what it does, as I have towed heavy trailers long distances before, without any problems, albeit not huge wind grabbing travel trailers.
Old 03-11-2019, 09:55 AM   #30
sourdough
Site Team

Quote:
Sorry if it seems that way, I have decided to get one, not sure which but probably the equalizer. I have just been trying to get as much information as possible about why it’s needed and what it does, as I have towed heavy trailers long distances before, without any problems, albeit not huge wind grabbing travel trailers.

You're making a good decision. And yes, I have pulled a 5k lb. bbq trailer before without a wdh/sway control, but, the only thing that stuck above the top of the bed significantly was the vent pipe and the way it was built it did not put a tremendous amount of weight on the hitch....unless I loaded the front with oak. No comparison to pulling a travel trailer.

The wdh will take some of that heavy weight that the trailer puts on your truck via the tongue then redistribute it between the front and rear of the truck as well as the trailer to enable a firm, secure, controllable towing/driving experience in the truck. With a big enough truck (not a 1/2 ton) sometimes it isn't a necessity. The sway control keeps the trailer "in line" so to speak when exterior forces want to grab those huge flat sides and push it one way or the other. And, they can exert tremendous forces, ie: semi trucks passing and winds (sometimes very small winds) which can give the trailer a mind of its own as far as where it wants to go. IMO it is a must on any 1/2 or 3/4 ton truck pulling an RV of any size.

As far as hitches there are folks using all kinds of them. I use the Equalizer 4 point and have been very happy. I've used the type (don't remember the brands) that used chains for wdh (seemed pretty effective) and the little sway control arms that fit on an extra ball on the hitch - they were ineffective from what I could tell. For your truck I would definitely recommend a good wdh/sway - they come in various price ranges and the effectiveness of the hitch seems to pretty much correspond to the price from what I've seen.
Old 03-11-2019, 10:05 AM   #31
rjrelander

Class III receivers are rated for 600 pounds weight carrying. Anything over 600 pounds of tongue weight requires a WDH to transfer the weight off of the receiver. Receivers can an will shear off if overloaded. Not all Class III receivers support weight distribution though so you need to check. Below 600 pounds of tongue weight, using a WDH doesn't hurt as long as it isn't overrated for the trailer, making it too stiff.

Weight distribution and sway control are different things. In my personnel opinion, sway control is either required or at least a very good idea for all types of trailers. regardless of size. I've seen way too many smaller ATV and boat trailers wagging down the road. All (most?) weight distribution hitches will provide some form of sway control but separate sway control devices are available without weight distribution.

EDIT: That's all assuming you have a Class III receiver. Even though our sway bar setup has been plenty to keep our little trailer (4400# GVWR) stable in high winds and oncoming semi trailers, we are still going to be adding WDH this spring, mainly to bring up the nose of the trailer since my drop hitch currently drops too low.

Randi & Shirley
2016 Ford F-350 SRW CCSB 6.7L 4WD
2022 Forest River Vibe 26RK
rjrelander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2019, 01:36 PM   #32
CrazyCain

here

Grab the pop corn and bring on the opinions.....
Here is my stuff, tear into me, of course i use weight carrying at the moment...
tried to flip pictures, but failed as usual...Hideout 177LHS 2011 Chevy Silverado 1500 5.3L 3.42

Attached Images

2011 Chevy Silverado
1500, HD Tow Package
2017 Keystone Hideout 177LHS Carlisle Radial HDs
:
CrazyCain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2019, 02:19 PM   #33
JRTJH
Site Team

Tom,

Now we can read your photos without whiplash.

First, the main purpose of a WD hitch is to return the majority of the weight "levered off the front axle" back to the front axle. It does more than that, but the main purpose is to return weight to the steering axle. The reason for that is to maintain steering control on the tow vehicle. If you've ever had a "tongue heavy trailer" connected to a light front end tow vehicle and crossed a railroad crossing and felt the front end "floating" without steering control, you know exactly why a WD hitch is necessary in towing heavy trailers.

What is a "heavy trailer" ???? That's a question that has so many variables that it's virtually impossible to answer "in general terms". As an example, with my DW's Escape (3500 pound max trailer capacity), a "heavy trailer" would be one that's at the upper end of that 3500 pound limit. On my SuperDuty with a 12,500 pound trailer rating, then that same trailer is definitely NOT a "heavy trailer"... So, you can see how the equipment can make a difference in whether a WD hitch might benefit safety in towing a 3300 pound trailer with my DW's Escape and would not be as necessary on my truck. So, there's no "your trailer tongue weight is XXX so you need WD" just as there's no "Your receiver is rated at 600/5000 pounds Load Carrying (without WD) and you "may or may not" feel the need for additional weight on the front axle to help maintain steering control. Once you cross that RR crossing and experience a 'free-floating steering wheel" you'll want your front tires "firmly planted on the asphalt".... Until that happens to you, you may/may not see the need for the expense of a WD hitch system....

As a side consideration, if we put your receiver on my DW's Escape, could she then safely tow a 4500 pound trailer with a tongue weight of 550 pounds ???? I ask this not to get an answer, but to illustrate that "just because one component is "rated high enough" doesn't mean the rest of the vehicle is also rated for that much load/weight/towing capacity.....

Another side consideration: Assume that you are using a "load carrying" hitch assembly and your ball mount (the 2" square bar that slides into the receiver) is 10" long and the C/L of the trailer ball is 31" from the C/L of the rear axle, if you use a different ball mount that is 18" long, moving the C/L of the trailer ball to 39" from the C/L of the rear axle, does that lever more weight off the front tires? If so, does the ball mount length affect the maximum amount of weight that you can place on the ball before a WD hitch is needed?

That's just one example of two "exact same tow vehicles towing the exact same trailer with the exact same tongue weight" and getting significantly different results in how much "rear squat" and "front rise" that will affect the towability of the "exact same rig"....

I bring that up because invariably, someone is going to post, "I have the same truck and trailer and I do it all the time".... The short answer (and the obvious one) is "No you don't have the same truck/trailer. You have one that's similar but it isn't loaded the same and the hitch you're using may be significantly different than mine, so what works for you may be critically unsafe for me".....

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
Old 03-11-2019, 02:57 PM   #34
Controller23

You all might get a kick off the detailed weight information on the 2019 Silverado Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4595.jpg
Views:	275
Size:	301.4 KB
ID:	20690
Old 03-11-2019, 07:37 PM   #35
busterbrown

Quote:
You all might get a kick off the detailed weight information on the 2019 Silverado Attachment 20690
With a proper trailering package, a lightly optioned 1/2 ton Silverado or Sierra has very close to the same payload capacity as a fully optioned 3/4 ton diesel Sierra Denali. I seen a few at the Detroit Auto Show just a couple of months ago. Makes you go "hmmmm".
Hensley SwiftArrow Control Hitch with 1000 lb Spring Bars
Me, DW, (3) little DS's, and 1 rambunctious Boston Terrier

busterbrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2019, 08:37 AM   #36
Tbos

Towing without a weight distribution hitch

Quote:

When I owned a Silverado the manual stated amounts permissible with or without the WDH. Didn’t see this in the manual for my F350.
Since I posted this I see others have posted the information too. I apologize for any duplication.
Tbos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2019, 12:29 PM   #37
ADQ K9

Here is something that really supprised me, The other day I was at the dealer looking at a 2019 Ford Raptor while getting DW Explorer serviced. I should have taken a pic of the yellow sticker, the max PAYLOAD was 1018# yet the Raptors tow rating is 8000# Is it just me or do I see trouble brewing if a Raptor owner is gonna load up and tow an RV say like this one https://www.blackseriescamper.com/tr...lers/hq19.html
Connected by a Curt 15K WDH W/Sway Control
ADQ K9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2019, 01:42 PM   #38
66joej

At 758 HP in the Hennessy warmed 5.0 Coyote engine I doubt the buyer is interested in using the Raptor as a TV. I think most of that payload would be used up for an extra gas tank.

2018 Ram 3500 6.4 Harvest Edition
2018 Cougar 27RESWE
66joej is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2019, 03:27 PM   #39
sourdough
Site Team

I have seen Raptors towing....they aren't made for that thus the low payload. They are made for getting it and hitting whoop de doos at speed without beating you to death. Unknowledgeable folks look at the HP, stance etc. and think it's a towing "beast" it isn't and was never meant to be.
Old 03-18-2019, 06:36 PM   #40
Gegrad

Quote:
Originally Posted by sourdough View Post
I have seen Raptors towing....they aren't made for that thus the low payload. They are made for getting it and hitting whoop de doos at speed without beating you to death. Unknowledgeable folks look at the HP, stance etc. and think it's a towing "beast" it isn't and was never meant to be.
Very similar to that Danny is the Ram PowerWagon... Saw a new one at the auto show here a few weeks ago and it is a 2500HD. Had the 6.4 in it.... Had a yellow payload sticker of 1098 lbs. My jaw just about dropped and I had to reread it to make sure I wasn't seeing double. I couldn't believe that truck had a payload only slightly larger than a minivan, haha.
Gegrad is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
hitch, tow, towing