Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Tow Vehicles
Click Here to Login

Old 03-03-2019, 08:32 AM   #1
Nicculi

Need a new truck

Hey all,

I'm in need of a new tow vehicle for my 2019 Sprinter 297fwrls. I currently have an 02 GMC 2500 duramax. I'm looking at a 2016 GMC Denali 3500 duramax with 68k miles, and a 2013 Silverado 3500 duramax with 60k miles. I can get the 2013 for about $8k less. My wife and I like all that the Denali has to offer, and prefer it over the Silverado. That being said, I understand my payload capacity should be higher with the lower trim package on the Silverado. Is there any reason why I should spend more money on the Denali aside from comfort and trim level? Any known mechanical issues between the 2? I know all the service history of the 2013, and know the owner. The Denali is at a dealership..

Thanks for any input
Nicculi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2019, 09:45 AM   #2
chuckster57
Site Team

These kind of threads are hard to give a good answer. There is more to consider than just the price and trim level. If its been "rode hard and put away wet" then it may not be worth the price at all. Maintenance records are a wealth of knowledge. I personally would want the higher payload, you never know when you might decide you want a newer and bigger trailer.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2019, 09:48 AM   #3
travelin texans

The Denali is 3 years newer with about every bell/whistle standard so naturally more money. The '16 will also have a bit more hp/torque than the '13 plus much quieter ride.
Honestly you can't go wrong with either, the Duramax/Allison is tough to beat, but ultimately your decision.
Replacement undetermined
travelin texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2019, 10:31 AM   #4
ChuckS

Both have the LML engine ... I believe and of course the Allison 1000 transmission. Either is a power house.

I would like the HID projection headlights that were new for 2016 model. A few other additions as well for 2016 over the 2013.

You’d be happy with either I believe. I own a 2007 Suramax SLT 4x4... awesome truck over last 11 years.

2007 GMC Classic club cab 4x4 Duramax LBZ
2014 Alpine 3010 RE. 34 foot fifth wheel
ChuckS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2019, 10:35 AM   #5
ChuckS

Which ever you choose do your self a favor and service the transmission and spin on filter. No need nor does Allison recommend replacing internal filter. And DO NOT let anyone power flush your Allison.

What I recommend ....

https://dmaxstore.com/products/?rout...&product_id=61

Also drain and refill the rear differential with Amsol severe duty synthetic gear lube.

The above items will give you a good peace of mind regarding the drivetrain package.

2007 GMC Classic club cab 4x4 Duramax LBZ
2014 Alpine 3010 RE. 34 foot fifth wheel
ChuckS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2019, 10:58 AM   #6
terrythetech

I was looking at a few trucks last year online as the 5th wheel camper we bought was on a seasonal lot in Wisconsin and we plan on becoming snowbirds this year. When I was looking at various trucks I looked at GMC and I read that the Denali needed a gooseneck adapter in order to pull the 5th wheel. I also read that some 5th wheel manufacturers will not honor a warranty if it is pulled with a gooseneck adapter. I will be looking again soon but I was disheartened by that 1 issue. I would much rather not use a gooseneck adapter. the other models do not need that adapter. Must be higher sidewalls in the box or a deeper box in the Denali.
terrythetech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2019, 11:45 AM   #7
Nicculi

I'm leaning towards the Silverado due to price and service history. We'll see what my wife says when I take it home for a test drive this week. Thank you for all of your input. As far as the gooseneck situation goes, I believe that is due to the factory option of a gooseneck prep. There are a few ways to get around that. Andersen is an option. (With varying opinions)

Thank you
Old 03-03-2019, 11:55 AM   #8
travelin texans

Quote:
Originally Posted by terrythetech View Post
I was looking at a few trucks last year online as the 5th wheel camper we bought was on a seasonal lot in Wisconsin and we plan on becoming snowbirds this year. When I was looking at various trucks I looked at GMC and I read that the Denali needed a gooseneck adapter in order to pull the 5th wheel. I also read that some 5th wheel manufacturers will not honor a warranty if it is pulled with a gooseneck adapter. I will be looking again soon but I was disheartened by that 1 issue. I would much rather not use a gooseneck adapter. the other models do not need that adapter. Must be higher sidewalls in the box or a deeper box in the Denali.
There are numerous 5th wheel hitch options for any brand of truck other than gooseneck & the Silverado nor the Denali are no exception.
If either truck has the gooseneck turnover ball then the B&W Companion hitch is a great hitch, towed 60k+ miles with mine. I've never used the Anderson hitch & still on the fence as to whether I ever would, they appear a bit lightweight for a 16k+ 5th wheel. Just my .02 cents!
As far as bed side heights I think Ford's & Ram's have more of an issue with this than the GM s, at least that's the way most forums read.
Replacement undetermined
Old 03-03-2019, 01:55 PM   #9
Northofu1

Parts for a Denali will be more expensive when it comes to future repairs, after you look at service records, cost, options, etc., what it also comes down to is how much is it going to be driven. Are the Denali seats upgraded to heated buckets whereas the Silverado might have a bench? Depends on what options you feel you would really benefit from. Good luck with your choice.

2019 GMC SIERRA 2500 HD SLE
2015 Cougar X-Lite 29 RET
Northofu1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2019, 02:58 PM   #10
Nicculi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northofu1 View Post
Parts for a Denali will be more expensive when it comes to future repairs, after you look at service records, cost, options, etc., what it also comes down to is how much is it going to be driven. Are the Denali seats upgraded to heated buckets whereas the Silverado might have a bench? Depends on what options you feel you would really benefit from. Good luck with your choice.
Silverado is a highline LT, leather, heated seats etc... Denali has heated and cooled, with heated steering wheel(I have cold hands). Denali has larger rear view screen. I prefer GMC styling. A friend at work has the Silverado since new, I do the maintenance on it. Denali appears to have been garaged and only used as a freeway flyer(bed and body show almost no wear). Neither have 5er hitches or rails.
Old 03-03-2019, 04:48 PM   #11
Northofu1

Cool, didn't know it was a high country. I prefer GMC as well, less tinny. If that makes sense. You might just have to rock paper scissor it. lol

2019 GMC SIERRA 2500 HD SLE
2015 Cougar X-Lite 29 RET
Northofu1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2019, 07:24 PM   #12
rhagfo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nicculi View Post
Silverado is a highline LT, leather, heated seats etc... Denali has heated and cooled, with heated steering wheel(I have cold hands). Denali has larger rear view screen. I prefer GMC styling. A friend at work has the Silverado since new, I do the maintenance on it. Denali appears to have been garaged and only used as a freeway flyer(bed and body show almost no wear). Neither have 5er hitches or rails.
Love the heated steering wheel on our Laramie. No hitches, but does either have the factory puck system?
Visit and enjoy Oregon State Parks
rhagfo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2019, 07:26 PM   #13
Nicculi

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhagfo View Post
Love the heated steering wheel on our Laramie. No hitches, but does either have the factory puck system?
No, no pucks either, will have to install something. I currently run a b&w turnover, and an Andersen
Old 03-04-2019, 12:25 AM   #14
notanlines

Nick, I would recommend installing the factory puck system yourself if that is the type hitch you choose. Plenty of info on youtube.
2021 40' Jayco Eagle
2001 Road king w/matching Harley sidecar
2021 Yamaha X2 Wolverine 1000
notanlines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2019, 03:43 AM   #15
rhagfo

Quote:
Originally Posted by notanlines View Post
Nick, I would recommend installing the factory puck system yourself if that is the type hitch you choose. Plenty of info on youtube.
X2
I would have done the same it if that was the only missing option on an otherwise perfect truck.
Old 03-04-2019, 07:45 AM   #16
travelin texans

Quote:
No, no pucks either, will have to install something. I currently run a b&w turnover, and an Andersen
Personally I'd do the same again, then if you ever wanted/needed to tow a gooseneck you're ready.
Replacement undetermined
Old 03-04-2019, 07:56 AM   #17
rhagfo

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by travelin texans View Post
Personally I'd do the same again, then if you ever wanted/needed to tow a gooseneck you're ready.
Even more reason to install the factory puck system, totally flexible the Andersen will attach to the GN ball and at resale you have the pucks.
Old 03-04-2019, 08:21 AM   #18
Nicculi

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhagfo View Post
Even more reason to install the factory puck system, totally flexible the Andersen will attach to the GN ball and at resale you have the pucks.
Ok, so now, pros and cons of b&w vs factory pucks?
Old 03-05-2019, 07:53 AM   #19
KYFamily

i don't think you can go wrong with either. Same motor so same HP and Torque. The GMC is nice and is newer plus it will still have the Powertrain warranty. However, you know the history on the Chevy. This is a tough one. I probably would go with the GMC.
Old 03-05-2019, 08:56 AM   #20
cookinwitdiesel

Personally, I test drove both a 2018 High Country as well as my 2018 Denali, I preferred the Denali styling a lot more. My understanding, the the Denali has about 330# less payload than a lesser trimmed vehicle. Matters more at the 3/4 ton size than a 1 ton most likely.

For 5ers, a SRW 1 Ton is still going to be limited to the smaller trailers, the big ones all need a DRW.

Folks have mentioned adding the factory puck system after the purchase, for the life of me I have been unable to locate anything but the Reese offering that is only compatible with their hitches. Where can I obtain the OEM puck system for aftermarket install? One of the only things I wish my 2500 had.
(OLD) 2018 Keystone Hideout 28RKS Travel Trailer
cookinwitdiesel is offline   Reply With Quote