Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Technical Corner
Click Here to Login

Old 08-03-2018, 08:17 AM   #1
Bisjoe

Dual Tank LP Gas Valve

The automatic changeover valve on my LP tanks is supposed to display red in the glass window and change over to the other tank when empty. We're headed out next weekend so I checked my tanks and found the red showing, so moved the switch to the other and took the "empty" one out. I can tell by the weight and the "slosh" that it still has about 1/3 left in it. Is the red display actually showing that it has switched to the other tank, and I can't use the rest of that first tank?

Bisjoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2018, 05:18 PM   #2
Frank G

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bisjoe View Post
The automatic changeover valve on my LP tanks is supposed to display red in the glass window and change over to the other tank when empty. We're headed out next weekend so I checked my tanks and found the red showing, so moved the switch to the other and took the "empty" one out. I can tell by the weight and the "slosh" that it still has about 1/3 left in it. Is the red display actually showing that it has switched to the other tank, and I can't use the rest of that first tank?

Is it the regulator with the white cover? Mine had a white cover and did the same thing, more than once. Last winter we ran out of propane in the middle of the night, when I went to refill I had almost a full bottle. I replaced mine with another brand, the jury is still out. Guess I will not know until January or so if the new regulator works. I will update tomorrow with a picture of the new regulator.
www.travelersrestresort.com
Frank G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2018, 05:34 PM   #3
Bisjoe

Yes, white cover. So far no problem getting gas. We’ll see how it goes next weekend, though I don’t expect to need the heater, we will use the stove and water heater.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	F67FC7B5-F6C4-493A-871B-68D030879E64.jpg
Views:	190
Size:	196.9 KB
ID:	17842  

Bisjoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2018, 04:24 AM   #4
Dave W

If that regulator is a Fairview, it's suspect. We have separated tanks on our 5er with a step down on the curbside and an auto changeover reg on the road side - and both went to regulator heaven last fall. Additionally, I replaced both gas lines as they were as stiff as a board. The new regulators are Marsh Excel and are the usual 'standard' of the propane line
Dave W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2018, 06:02 AM   #5
hankaye

Howdy All;

Marshall went through a change over a few years back and their valves and
regulators where nowhere to be found for a time. Most likely, Keystone and
perhaps a few other RV makers bought a train car load of an off brand and want
to run through them before using the "New" Marsh Excel (re-named/branded),
regulators and other stuff Marshall made. Just my thoughts.

hank

Home: 2008 Cougar 278 RKS
T.V.: 2004 F-250 4X4, Level III BulletProofed , Detroit Tru-Track Differential (915A550)
Dog: 2006 Border Collie (Rascal) aka Maximum fur dispersal unit. (08/04/2006 - 12/16/2017) RIP.
hankaye is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
gas, tank