Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Fifth Wheels
Click Here to Login

Closed Thread

Old 08-10-2017, 08:40 AM   #21
kfxgreenie

Instead of these how does it work threads that turn into issues that don't exist there should just be on thread that Andersen users can go to and post the damage that the Andersen hitch has either caused to their fifth wheel, or truck. Only problem with that idea is the thread would have no activity based on real world Andersen users.
Old 08-10-2017, 09:39 AM   #22
Desert185

Quote:
Originally Posted by kfxgreenie View Post
Instead of these how does it work threads that turn into issues that don't exist there should just be on thread that Andersen users can go to and post the damage that the Andersen hitch has either caused to their fifth wheel, or truck. Only problem with that idea is the thread would have no activity based on real world Andersen users.
Ten characters of
-2014 Cougar 326SRX, Maxxis tires w/TPMS, wet bolts, two 6v batts.
-Four Wheel 8' Popup Camper.
Old 08-10-2017, 09:59 AM   #23
Outback 325BH
Gone Traveling

Quote:

Nothing wrong with discussing issues that some of us have with it. These issues are real and not made up.

It isn't rocket science to see how it works and forces in play.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 08-10-2017, 12:21 PM   #24
kfxgreenie

Nope nothing wrong with discussing "potential" problems that don't exist for most users yet today.

From Andersen's Facebook Page. This is a response to a safety chain comment.

"We understand your concern, but our product is actually completely legal- and extremely safe. We receive this question often and there is some grey area involved in the mandatory use of safety chains with our Ultimate 5th Wheel Hitch.

Our Ultimate Connection was tested, designed and passed the certification to be classified as a 5th wheel hitch – for which the vast majority of the laws in the United States only require the break-away switch to be used as the safety system needed. The only state that we are aware of with more specific laws is Indiana, which has written the law to state that any trailer coupled via a tow ball is required to use safety chains. We offer the safety chain set as part # 3230 to satisfy the cautious towing individuals and to appease the laws of Indiana and any other state that may have the same law that we are not aware of.

We have close to 40,000 of these units out on the road today. We understand it can be deceiving due to the design. Please let us know if you have any questions, we'd love to answer them!"
Old 08-10-2017, 02:02 PM   #25
Outback 325BH
Gone Traveling

Quote:
Nope nothing wrong with discussing "potential" problems that don't exist for most users yet today.

From Andersen's Facebook Page. This is a response to a safety chain comment.

"We understand your concern, but our product is actually completely legal- and extremely safe. We receive this question often and there is some grey area involved in the mandatory use of safety chains with our Ultimate 5th Wheel Hitch.

Our Ultimate Connection was tested, designed and passed the certification to be classified as a 5th wheel hitch – for which the vast majority of the laws in the United States only require the break-away switch to be used as the safety system needed. The only state that we are aware of with more specific laws is Indiana, which has written the law to state that any trailer coupled via a tow ball is required to use safety chains. We offer the safety chain set as part # 3230 to satisfy the cautious towing individuals and to appease the laws of Indiana and any other state that may have the same law that we are not aware of.

We have close to 40,000 of these units out on the road today. We understand it can be deceiving due to the design. Please let us know if you have any questions, we'd love to answer them!"

I'm not telling anyone what to do. I have just explained the issues I have with the design. No engineer has refuted anything I have said because everything I have said is true. Whether the issues I have raised would manifest into a real problem or not only time will tell, however I simply choose to not buy or use one. The issues I have raised are pretty obvious once you think about it. The design isn't deceiving it is pretty simple. Just because I (and others) have issues with the design doesn't mean we don't understand it.

Posting a boilerplate "we are legal" message from the company (who would never say anything different) means nothing to me.

YMMV.

Old 08-10-2017, 03:03 PM   #26
Desert185

Quote:
Originally Posted by Outback 325BH View Post
I'm not telling anyone what to do. I have just explained the issues I have with the design. No engineer has refuted anything I have said because everything I have said is true. Whether the issues I have raised would manifest into a real problem or not only time will tell, however I simply choose to not buy or use one. The issues I have raised are pretty obvious once you think about it. The design isn't deceiving it is pretty simple. Just because I (and others) have issues with the design doesn't mean we don't understand it.

Posting a boilerplate "we are legal" message from the company (who would never say anything different) means nothing to me.

YMMV.

Perhaps you (or anyone on this forum) should call Jason @ Andersen and ask him to explain the process and engineering behind the hitch. I'm sure he will answer your questions.

If you are concerned about Andersen pushing the company line, all I can say is that you wouldn't call Ford concerning questions on Chevy's. Perhaps they will address your concerns to your satisfaction. I have found them to be very willing to answer questions on their product. Jason even invited me to stop by for a tour if I were in Idaho Falls and offered to take me to lunch.
Old 08-10-2017, 04:05 PM   #27
Outback 325BH
Gone Traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by Desert185 View Post
Perhaps you (or anyone on this forum) should call Jason @ Andersen and ask him to explain the process and engineering behind the hitch. I'm sure he will answer your questions.

If you are concerned about Andersen pushing the company line, all I can say is that you wouldn't call Ford concerning questions on Chevy's. Perhaps they will address your concerns to your satisfaction. I have found them to be very willing to answer questions on their product. Jason even invited me to stop by for a tour if I were in Idaho Falls and offered to take me to lunch.

I have no concerns...

Old 08-10-2017, 05:20 PM   #28
Canonman

I've been following this thread for some time and I have no concerns either. Andersen is the real deal. Their products work, their engineering is sound and they have enough product out there to prove their advertising.
They will answer their phone, live, and cover any concerns about any of their products.
I like these guys! They're real honest folks who RV and use their own products.
Anyone not sure about the viability of the Andersen Ultimate hitch can buy any other product they feel is best for them.
We've been using the Andersen Ultimate for 2 seasons now and I only wish our Cougar was as well put together.
OK, Rant Ended.
Apologizes for any offenses.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	_MG_4052 - Version 2.jpg
Views:	224
Size:	245.7 KB
ID:	13644  
I think the little voices in my head have started a chat group.
Old 08-10-2017, 05:23 PM   #29
John&Genny

I'm kinda surprised John (JRTJH) got into this because he closed a similar Andersen thread a couple of days ago because it was becoming argumentative. Really the way I look at it this way. We all chose the hitch we have for different reasons. You might not care for it, but that's your opinion. You are not going to convince me that your hitch is better, nor am I going to convince you that my hitch is better unless we have facts, proof, and a structual analysis of each hitch design. I don't think none of us can provide that, so what's the point? Let's just leave it at that, and keep in mind what we are really here for, to enjoy RV'ing.
Old 08-10-2017, 07:20 PM   #30
Desert185

Quote:
Originally Posted by John&Genny View Post
I'm kinda surprised John (JRTJH) got into this because he closed a similar Andersen thread a couple of days ago because it was becoming argumentative. Really the way I look at it this way. We all chose the hitch we have for different reasons. You might not care for it, but that's your opinion. You are not going to convince me that your hitch is better, nor am I going to convince you that my hitch is better unless we have facts, proof, and a structual analysis of each hitch design. I don't think none of us can provide that, so what's the point? Let's just leave it at that, and keep in mind what we are really here for, to enjoy RV'ing.
...and to assist folks in understanding misconceptions with facts over opinion. At least that's what I look for.
Old 08-10-2017, 08:43 PM   #31
Alpine

Quote:
...and to assist folks in understanding misconceptions with facts over opinion. At least that's what I look for.

Jeff & Jan - Retired & Full-timing since 2013
2019 Ram Big Horn 3500 Aisin 4x4
2012 Alpine 3450-RL
Double Coin 235/75R-17.5/16 J rated 125lb
Old 08-14-2017, 04:50 AM   #32
NealBlue

Quote:
"It's a 200+ pound super solid beast."

And yet, the 200#, 18K "beast" has bent the rail, while there is still no evidence of issues with the Andersen 24K hitch (aluminum or steel, ball or rail version). Plenty opinion...no evidence. I'm sure, when and if evidence appears, there will be a plethora of I told you so's.

Bingo! What he said.
Old 03-31-2018, 01:24 AM   #33
tech740

I have a question for those that have an Andersen ultimate hitch. When not hooked up does the ball extend above the bed rails? When not towing I like to extend my tonneau cover to keep the bed covered. Will the ball interfere with this?
Thanks

2019 Ram 3500 6.7 HO, Aisin Trans 3:73
Reese Goosebox
2019 Sandpiper 379FLOK
Old 03-31-2018, 01:59 AM   #34
John&Genny

Quote:
Originally Posted by tech740 View Post
I have a question for those that have an Andersen ultimate hitch. When not hooked up does the ball extend above the bed rails? When not towing I like to extend my tonneau cover to keep the bed covered. Will the ball interfere with this?
Thanks
No, at least not on my Duramax diesel. And even if it did slightly, the ball is completely removable.
Old 03-31-2018, 02:49 AM   #35
tech740

Quote:
Originally Posted by John&Genny View Post
No, at least not on my Duramax diesel. And even if it did slightly, the ball is completely removable.
Thank you for the reply. That is what I needed to know.
Old 03-31-2018, 05:27 AM   #36
jsmith948

Don't know what else to add.........Click image for larger version

Name:	HitchFail (1).jpg
Views:	429
Size:	53.1 KB
ID:	15829

Jack & Marty
2018 Laredo 298 SRL
2011 F-250 SB Crew Cab 4x4 6.7L
Old 03-31-2018, 05:48 AM   #37
KOZKO

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsmith948 View Post
Don't know what else to add.........Attachment 15829
That is THE ONLY FAILURE EVER and there is much speculation about what happened but no proof it was a real failure of the Andersen Ultimate vs the owners failed use of it! To support the real answer of this thread is still to say my brother uses a B&W Companion and it STILL just connects to the ball in the bed! Also I guess all airplanes are bending and failing all around us because they are made of lightweight aluminum!

2018 Laredo 340FL
2017 Ram 3500 4x4 6.7L Cummins Diesel (6’4” bed)
Andersen Ultimate 5th Wheel Connection
B&W Turnoverball
JT's Strong Arm Jack Stabilizers
Old 03-31-2018, 05:55 AM   #38
kfxgreenie

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsmith948 View Post
Don't know what else to add.........Attachment 15829
How about you add how this happened since you have first hand experience of a failed Andersen hitch. Also please add the companies response and how they handled the situation. Please let me know if your Rotoflex was locked out per the Andersen instructions. It sure will ease my mind knowing these facts from someone that personally has had a failed Andersen hitch.

To the newest question, yes the ball sits below the rails and a tonneau cover clears when rolled.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	And.jpg
Views:	211
Size:	148.4 KB
ID:	15830  
Old 03-31-2018, 06:31 AM   #39
jsmith948

Quote:
How about you add how this happened since you have first hand experience of a failed Andersen hitch. Also please add the companies response and how they handled the situation. Please let me know if your Rotoflex was locked out per the Andersen instructions. It sure will ease my mind knowing these facts from someone that personally has had a failed Andersen hitch.

To the newest question, yes the ball sits below the rails and a tonneau cover clears when rolled.
Wow...pretty defensive. BTW, I did not imply in any way that the picture I posted was of MY failed Andersen hitch. The picture I posted IS a picture of A failed Andersen hitch.
The thread is about how these hitches are secured to the truck bed and the discussion seemed to be about how secure these hitches are. So, I thought that the photo was relevant.
You can choose to ignore the photograph...it's up to you.
Personally, the kinked framework and the twisted, distorted base of the hitch tells me all I need to know.
Added: In regards to whether or not the driver turned too sharp-stopped to quick-hit a bump-passed wind while driving, etc...the hitch is either capable of carrying the weight of the camper or not. The hitch can either withstand the forces exerted on it by the trailer...or not.

Jack & Marty
2018 Laredo 298 SRL
2011 F-250 SB Crew Cab 4x4 6.7L
Old 03-31-2018, 06:44 AM   #40
chuckster57
Site Team

Well, maybe it’s spring fever or cabin fever, it looks like the OP has the answer to his question. Before anybody gets off track I think it’s best to close this thread.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
Closed Thread

Tags
hitch