Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Travel Trailers
Click Here to Login

Old 01-26-2018, 03:38 PM   #1
BCIslander

water pump fuse

Hi all,

Getting to know my 2014 Cougar 212RBSWE...

Does anyone know where to find the fuse for the water pump? I test fired it a couple of 10 seconds bursts to find it. Found it OK. Now the water pump is dead. It's not making any noise at all, so it would seem likely it's not getting 12v. any more.

Thanks
BCIslander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2018, 04:40 PM   #2
JRTJH
Site Team

Mine is the #1 fuse in the power distribution panel. It's a 10 amp fuse.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2018, 05:37 PM   #3
BCIslander

thanks I'll have a look there. It wasn't marked on the panel, but I'll get the tester out and give it a check.
Old 01-26-2018, 08:11 PM   #4
Bostongone

Maybe dumb question but did you turn a water faucet on or was that how you were doing the 10 second tests? If system is pressurized pump will not run.
Bostongone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2018, 06:52 AM   #5
Lee

Bostongone makes an excellent point ;-)

1970 F250 Highboy 4x4
2013 Cougar 21RBSWE
Lee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2018, 08:25 AM   #6
BCIslander

Thanks for your thoughts. we just purchased the trailer last November. So we took it to an RV resort for a couple of days to test things and get familiar with things. There was no water in the tank as the trailer had been sitting for over a year. We dry test the pump to see where it was located. It ran for the couple of short (10 sec) bursts we used to find it...then no more. No hum, no clicks. I looked on the panel and nothing identifies the water pump which led to my question of an inline fuse perhaps. It's been very rainy here so haven't been out with a meter yet to check fuses. There is a Keystone dealer on Vancouver Island relatively near to us so i will phone and ask what they know.
Old 01-28-2018, 06:58 PM   #7
Bostongone

I guess the system was never going to pressurize due to lack of water. And while these pumps will run dry for awhile there is usually residual water in the pump to help form a seal which helps draw the water out of the tank and also provide some lubrication. In your case the pump may have actually dried out and the lack of lubrication caused a overload which did blow a fuse.

I'm pretty sure that when you find the fuse the pump will start but I would urge you to take the pump inlet and outlet fittings off and pour some RV antifreeze into the pump and then maybe put a couple of gallons of RV antifreeze in the fresh water tank for the pump to draw.

Also on my power distribution box on my 2008 each DC fuse has a led idiot light which will tell me which fuse I just popped!
Bostongone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2018, 09:29 AM   #8
BCIslander

Thanks again for the extra info. Good thought as well. On the "Wet Coast" we usually get going in early March. As I have to put water in the tank anyway, would that do the trick rather than antifreeze or does the AF work as a lubricant?
Old 01-29-2018, 11:50 AM   #9
Bostongone

Sure, water is fine, just suggested antifreeze not knowing your freeze conditions. Got a ways to wait out here before I can start thinking water.
Old 01-29-2018, 06:23 PM   #10
ctbruce
Site Team | Emeritus

I'd not put antifreeze into my fresh water tank to pull into the system. It takes more antifreeze and in the spring it is hard to wash it all out. Just something to think through.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Tapatalk

Chip Bruce, RPh
Kansas City, MO
2016 Impact 312
2017 Silverado 3500HD SRW
ctbruce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2018, 08:28 PM   #11
Bostongone

Quote:
Originally Posted by ctbruce View Post
I'd not put antifreeze into my fresh water tank to pull into the system. It takes more antifreeze and in the spring it is hard to wash it all out. Just something to think through.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Tapatalk
I use the minimal amount to get antifreeze into the pump innards and to also get some into the lines even though I do blow the lines out. Some day I will buy or make the cheater hose that allows you to suck the antifreeze directly from the container by disconnecting the pump inlet. I have not had much difficulty in flushing what is in the bottom of the fresh water tank and flushing the lines. Do a full bleaching after anyway.

Tags
fuse, water, water pump