Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Fifth Wheels
Click Here to Login

Old 08-12-2018, 04:58 PM   #1
gmoore

Battery Question

So last camping trip we decided to leave the TT in storage, it was raining and left without discounting the battery and taking it with me. I'm wondering when we get back, other than knowing the battery will be dead, will I be able to use the auto jacks by connect it to my truck. Will connecting the trailer be enough to power the jacks?
gmoore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2018, 05:11 PM   #2
Frank G

To be safe I would take a set of jumper cables and let your truck charge the camper battery for 15 minuets or so. Then Plug in the camper to the truck, this also provides current to the camper battery, let the truck run. Then hook-up. You need battery power to run the jacks. The camper converter alone will not supply enough power.
www.travelersrestresort.com
Frank G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2018, 05:12 PM   #3
Canonman

You don't mention what TT you have, but yes, you should be able to power your jacks and be able to get the TT ready to tow with the truck battery. I'd suggest keeping the truck running just in case the truck battery is on the weak side.
Have you thought about how you plan to recharge the TT battery?
I think the little voices in my head have started a chat group.
Canonman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2018, 06:06 PM   #4
JRTJH
Site Team

Also keep in mind that a completely discharged battery can "kill" itself in as few as 3 or 4 discharge cycles. Depending on the age and condition of your battery, if you allow it to completely discharge you will be shortening its useful life and possibly, this is the time that, when you return to go camping next, it won't hold a charge. So, if possible, if you can return to the trailer to disconnect the battery and/or take it home to put on a trickle charger/maintainer, you'll likely save yourself some money in replacement battery purchases....

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2018, 06:28 PM   #5
gmoore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canonman View Post
You don't mention what TT you have, but yes, you should be able to power your jacks and be able to get the TT ready to tow with the truck battery. I'd suggest keeping the truck running just in case the truck battery is on the weak side.
Have you thought about how you plan to recharge the TT battery?
I have a 2015 Cougar. My plan was to let the camp site charge the battery while camping that weekend. I also thought about bringing my NOCO Genius to charge it instead hoping it would "repair" my neglect.
Old 08-12-2018, 06:39 PM   #6
Canonman

If you are charging with your on board converter and shore power for a couple of days, that should be sufficient without the boost charger. Make sure your battery has enough water in the cells as charging like this can cause the battery to boil and you'll lose water/acid.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	_MG_0842.jpg
Views:	123
Size:	306.4 KB
ID:	18029  
I think the little voices in my head have started a chat group.
Canonman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2018, 06:40 PM   #7
gmoore

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRTJH View Post
Also keep in mind that a completely discharged battery can "kill" itself in as few as 3 or 4 discharge cycles. Depending on the age and condition of your battery, if you allow it to completely discharge you will be shortening its useful life and possibly, this is the time that, when you return to go camping next, it won't hold a charge. So, if possible, if you can return to the trailer to disconnect the battery and/or take it home to put on a trickle charger/maintainer, you'll likely save yourself some money in replacement battery purchases....
Yeah I knew better than to leave the battery but it was raining and didn't mean to leave it. Unfortunately, the storage site is 230 miles away from the house so bringing it home to charge first is not an option. The battery is about a year old. Would using my NOCO Genius charger be a better option than charging it at the camp site with the TT charger?
Old 08-12-2018, 06:56 PM   #8
JRTJH
Site Team

If it were me, I'd plug the 7 way connector into the tow vehicle, let it run for 10-15 minutes, then raise the jacks, connect the trailer and tow to the campground. Don't use a "battery booster" as it may damage a dead battery. Once you get to the campground, leave the trailer connected to the truck or plug in shore power as soon as you park (before you unhitch). The WFCO converter is designed to properly charge your battery and will do a better job than a "battery booster" or even your truck. I've got a hunch that this will probably be the last time you forget the battery..... Hopefully it won't be damaged beyond recovering this time. Good Luck.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2018, 03:37 AM   #9
Frederick

My alpine would discharge and not raise the jacks did 2 things bought a cheap battery kept it on a battery tender for emergency also installed a cut out switch on postive line from battery this solved the problem now don:t need the spare battery
Frederick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2018, 05:20 AM   #10
RoscoeV

How long has it been since your last camping trip and did you use the battery disconnect switch? Depending on those answers you may or may not have a dead battery. If you are really concerned you can buy a second battery and take it with you. Keep it on a trickle charger at home and take it off when you go to the camper. When you swap out the battery make sure you are careful not to reverse the polarity.

I have a second battery I use for my 12v air compressor, I keep it on a battery tender and put it in my truck toolbox when I go camping just in case.
2018 Ram 2500 Laramie
Pathway X2 with DISH Wally
RoscoeV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2018, 02:08 PM   #11
GHen

I have one of those jumpboxes with the air compressor built in. I keep in the RV. In the case of a dead battery I can use it to run the jacks or the slides until I can get the main batteries charged. I see Dealers use the same device when needed. Cheap backup, plus I can use it on the Tow vehicle also.
GHen is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
battery