Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Technical Corner
Click Here to Login

Old 08-05-2018, 05:16 PM   #1
Frank G

What to do? With the Battery.

In a few short weeks we will be heading to Florida. The intent is to leave it permanently in Florida on site. We will live in it 6 month of the year. What do I do with the battery? Pull It? If I leave it, at some point it will fail, then what? The intent is to leave the unit plugged in in our absence, put a dehumidifier in the shower and open the drain. We will also have a permanent resident do a weekly check.
www.travelersrestresort.com
Frank G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2018, 05:21 PM   #2
chuckster57
Site Team

If your permanent resident is going to do a weekly check, just have him/her check the water level in the battery cells.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2018, 05:39 PM   #3
Frank G

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckster57 View Post
If your permanent resident is going to do a weekly check, just have him/her check the water level in the battery cells.
The unit came with a maintenance free battery.
Old 08-05-2018, 06:00 PM   #4
sourdough
Site Team

Mtce. free deep cycle? Does it have caps? Is it deep cycle...or AGM etc.?
sourdough is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2018, 07:55 PM   #5
flybouy
Site Team

Many "maint free" batteries actually have two caps that fit flush with the top of the case. Use a thin flat blade screwdriver to pry up.
flybouy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2018, 04:41 AM   #6
Frank G

Quote:
Originally Posted by sourdough View Post
Mtce. free deep cycle? Does it have caps? Is it deep cycle...or AGM etc.?
There are no caps, without tools and prying the lids won't open. Typical of all the other MF batteries I have, except the golf cart batteries that I check and water several times a year.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Deka Battery.jpg
Views:	205
Size:	190.0 KB
ID:	17894  
Old 08-06-2018, 04:42 AM   #7
Frank G

Quote:
Originally Posted by flybouy View Post
Many "maint free" batteries actually have two caps that fit flush with the top of the case. Use a thin flat blade screwdriver to pry up.
Why would I want to do that?
Old 08-06-2018, 04:47 AM   #8
Javi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank G View Post
There are no caps, without tools and prying the lids won't open. Typical of all the other MF batteries I have, except the golf cart batteries that I check and water several times a year.
Sorry... those look like caps to me... there are 3 cells under each one...

Also... it says to keep the vent caps tight and level...
Old 08-06-2018, 04:51 AM   #9
Canonman

If your trailer is going to be plugged in, why not remove or disconnect the batteries and just put them on a "Battery Tender"? Ours are on a battery tender from about November through April.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	_MG_1547.jpg
Views:	144
Size:	393.1 KB
ID:	17896  
I think the little voices in my head have started a chat group.
Canonman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2018, 04:20 PM   #10
Frank G

Quote:
Originally Posted by Javi View Post
Sorry... those look like caps to me... there are 3 cells under each one...

Also... it says to keep the vent caps tight and level...
Yes, those are caps, took a screw driver and removed them, Acid level slightly below the full line. Not bad for 18 months. BTW why are you sorry? Didn't you learn something today? You should feel good about helping someone out.
Old 08-06-2018, 04:41 PM   #11
Frank G

Quote:
In a few short weeks we will be heading to Florida. The intent is to leave it permanently in Florida on site. We will live in it 6 month of the year. What do I do with the battery? Pull It? If I leave it, at some point it will fail, then what? The intent is to leave the unit plugged in in our absence, put a dehumidifier in the shower and open the drain. We will also have a permanent resident do a weekly check.
Let me restate this in a different way. On or about September 20 we will be permanently parking this unit in Florida until death do us part or we trade it for a park model. We will live in it 6 month a year or more. Should we keep the battery in it or remove it? Does the converter work well without a battery on board?

Thank You to all that respond.
Old 08-07-2018, 09:16 AM   #12
bill-e

The converter works without a battery. Leaving the battery installed is a risk if no one is checking it. Removing it and storing it in a cool place like a basement without a battery tender will result in an average of 3% discharge a month (according to google). So even 6 months would result in the battery only discharging 18-20% which is safe. Putting it on a tender for 6 months would require checking it at least once in my opinion and then you run the risk of the tender malfunctioning and causing a fire if unattended.

I put mine on a tender during the winter where the average temp in my shop is 36°. I usually check them once during the winter though I've never needed to add water.

2015 Ram 1500 Ecodiesel
2015 Cougar 26RBI
bill-e is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2018, 09:36 AM   #13
B-O-B'03

Quote:
Let me restate this in a different way. On or about September 20 we will be permanently parking this unit in Florida until death do us part or we trade it for a park model. We will live in it 6 month a year or more. Should we keep the battery in it or remove it? Does the converter work well without a battery on board?

Thank You to all that respond.
The converter will work fine without a battery and will run everything but the slides, you can leave the battery disconnected, but it will be required to operate the slides, when you come back and if it has been disconnected for any length of time will need to be charged up.

Also, note the battery you have is not a true deep cycle, it is a hybrid start/run battery, so letting the charge state drop too low will damage it.

Good luck, some day I will be able to go camping for long periods of time too.

-Brian
Old 08-12-2018, 07:18 AM   #14
coop341

If your trailer doesn’t have a battery cutoff switch, put one on and just disconnect the battery from the rest of the rig. Then clip a battery tender on it that is connected to the 120 ac. Simple, don’t have to move battery.
coop341 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2018, 11:47 AM   #15
packnrat

pull the battery. as it will not be needed. but also disconnect the wires from the eletronics leading to said battery.
give it away to someone as a core charge unit.
packnrat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2018, 01:25 PM   #16
hankpage
Site Team

If all you will be running is a dehumidifier, I would run a GOOD extension cord to it from the 20amp outlet on the pedestal. You will find that this is what many Snow birds do with their golf carts. No need to have your converter running for six months. A good battery tender (not a charger) should not cook off the battery and whoever is checking the trailer will have lights if needed. Leaving on a permanent site that battery should be fine ...... if you plan to travel, replace it with a true deep cycle. JM2˘, Hank
hankpage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2018, 02:34 PM   #17
BadmanRick

Hi frank I have a maintenance free Optima D31M and I keep the camper connected to ac all the time. The battery stayed charged by the onboard ac-dc converter. I have had this battery for 4 years running this way.
I run my Airconditioner all the time but if you run a dehumidifier in the tub make sure the gray tank valve is open so water can exit the tank. Hope this helps
BadmanRick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2018, 03:05 PM   #18
Frank G

Quote:
Originally Posted by BadmanRick View Post
Hi frank I have a maintenance free Optima D31M and I keep the camper connected to ac all the time. The battery stayed charged by the onboard ac-dc converter. I have had this battery for 4 years running this way.
I run my Airconditioner all the time but if you run a dehumidifier in the tub make sure the gray tank valve is open so water can exit the tank. Hope this helps
What do you set the AC at when you are gone? I have had thoughts of setting the front 13K AC to 85 and see what happens. I would think the interior would be much happier at 85 and dry.

Yes, I found out I need a battery to run the slides so I will keep one in place and connected to the onboard converter as it is doing a good job maintaining the current battery.

Thank you,and the others,have given some good ideas, they are apricated.
Old 08-12-2018, 06:01 PM   #19
jbeliera

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canonman View Post
If your trailer is going to be plugged in, why not remove or disconnect the batteries and just put them on a "Battery Tender"? Ours are on a battery tender from about November through April.
It is nice to hear some one with the same idea as I have about using a battery tender instead of leaving it plugged into my converter all winter. That way I can keep an eye on water levels when on my tender because. I have a 5er and my batteries are covered and vented in the basement, so taking them out makes sense to me. I store my 2008 Laredo 29RL in Boise Idaho from Nov.1 through April 1
jbeliera is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
battery