Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Technical Corner
Click Here to Login

Old 08-05-2018, 07:58 AM   #1
Ruffus

Smile Battery Disconnect while Plugged In

I had a 12 volt battery go bad after one year. I regularly check the water level and it was low a couple times so assuming that it may have been over charged. My question is: Is it okay to use the battery disconnect while I am plugged into shore power, will everything still work? From just my basic electrical knowledge I think it will but wanted to ask someone with a little more experience. I just installed 2 six volt deep cycle golf cart batteries and do not want them to be over charged if my converter is not working properly.
Thanks
Curt Q24 hitch for in bed puck system
Fulltimng.
Ruffus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2018, 06:01 AM   #2
SC Dreamer

I would just turn off the breaker for converter when you do not need to charge the batteries. That way everything 12v can work. If you use disconnect, several things will not work and converter may still be working..
SC Dreamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2018, 06:32 AM   #3
chuckster57
Site Team

Battery disconnect should basically disable the charge circuit. Turning off the converter breaker will disable its ability to provide 12VDC to the distribution panel

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2018, 06:56 AM   #4
Frank G

I have a Marine and RV Deep cycle Group 25 battery, maintenance free, and the converter and battery get along just fine. As of now it is plugged in 24/7 all year long except during transport and during set-up doing the AutoLevel procedure.

I am not a charger guru, but I do know the different styles of batteries require different charging protocol.

Our 48V golf cart charging instructions ask that it be charged after any use to prevent plate damage, a charged battery is a happy battery. The charger we have indicates that you can leave it plugged in year round and it will maintain the batteries. No, it is not always on, but it periodically looks at the battery condition and acts accordingly. A point of interest, when we put new batteries in the cart last year we were told that it will take up tp 50 cycles before the batteries reach there full potential.

I would research the converter and battery requirements and see if they are compatible.
www.travelersrestresort.com
Frank G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2018, 09:10 AM   #5
travelin texans

If they were the original batteries, you're probably lucky you got a year out of them. Normally the OEM are the cheapest crap on the market & unless you had a very good dealer that upgraded them you still had the crap.
Replacement undetermined
travelin texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2018, 08:17 PM   #6
flybouy
Site Team

The battery disconnect should isolate battery from convert HOWEVER do not operate slides or any other high amperage device on the converter alone. The converter alone cannot supply sufficient amperage for heavy loads and can be damaged if used for such .
flybouy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2018, 08:59 PM   #7
bobbecky

The Alpine should have a smart charge converter and if it does, just leave the batteries connected with the battery bypass closed. Your batteries will be maintained properly and you likely will get much more than one year from your batteries. We full time, so except when we are on the road, the rig is always plugged in.
bobbecky is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
battery