Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Travel Trailers
Click Here to Login

Old 07-07-2018, 07:34 PM   #21
larry337

My wheel base is 176 and its noticeably smoother. At least to me it is.

2017 Ford F350
2015 Cougar 337FLS
larry337 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2018, 07:35 PM   #22
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by larry337 View Post
Correct, but if you read closer you'll notice I said long "wb" not "bed". Meaning of course wheel base.
Correct, but if you read the title of the thread, you'll notice.........

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2018, 07:39 PM   #23
larry337

For comparison I'm assuming were talking about the same size cab. Either way, I think we all get the idea right?!?!

2017 Ford F350
2015 Cougar 337FLS
Old 07-07-2018, 07:53 PM   #24
sourdough
Site Team

For ride difference, I think that is a very subjective term. I've never, and I've been in hundreds of different trucks, seen much difference between a LB or SB truck of the same kind. You just don't notice it that much. Reg cab, LB vs reg cab sb...not much. Reg cab long bed vs sb cc....no difference. The only appreciable difference in wheelbase difference comes is if you want to take a CC LB truck and compare it to something smaller; and then, yes, the huge wheelbase does make a noticeable difference. When you talk about 145? to a 160?" difference....it's not appreciable....IMO. It makes the truck much less easy to handle (think "tight" handling).
sourdough is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2018, 08:15 PM   #25
larry337

Quote:
Originally Posted by sourdough View Post
For ride difference, I think that is a very subjective term. I've never, and I've been in hundreds of different trucks, seen much difference between a LB or SB truck of the same kind. You just don't notice it that much. Reg cab, LB vs reg cab sb...not much. Reg cab long bed vs sb cc....no difference. The only appreciable difference in wheelbase difference comes is if you want to take a CC LB truck and compare it to something smaller; and then, yes, the huge wheelbase does make a noticeable difference. When you talk about 145? to a 160?" difference....it's not appreciable....IMO. It makes the truck much less easy to handle (think "tight" handling).
I realize you always have to have the last word but believe it or dont, everything else being equal, a 176" long bed crew cab versus a 158" short bed crew cab does in fact ride smoother. Its really simple physics. And it will handle a travel trailer better, which is what the OP asked about. He and I already conceded it wont be as maneuverable. I guess thats why they make both. Buy what you like I always say.

2017 Ford F350
2015 Cougar 337FLS
Old 07-12-2018, 07:27 AM   #26
dsttexas

Be careful if pulling a 5th wheel

A short bed truck will almost always require a special bed hitch that allows the hitch point to move backwards when turning so the front of the trailer does not hit the back of the cab. Some 5th wheel adapters allow you to use a standard hitch platform by extending out further in front giving the extra distance.

In my case, I make use of bed toolbox a lot, so went long bed to help with that access as well. Yup, it's a pain in today's parking lots for sure. And in maneuvering with trailer in tight places. Not for the in-experienced.
Old 07-12-2018, 07:33 AM   #27
Fuzion 369

2012 f350 Long bed crew cab. Preferred with 5th wheel. I won’t ever own another short bed. As far as parking. I can put it any spot any body else can fit in. The secret is to back into the space!
Fuzion 369 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2018, 07:41 AM   #28
boxcar

Just a few more comments, having gone from a 2001 F-250 Crew SB to a 2016 F-350 Crew LB . . .

I wanted a long bed after the short bed so that I could tow my Arctic Fox and carry my Harley Road Glide in the bed with the tailgate up, and that worked famously. What I didn't like was maneuverability when backing the trailer into a campsite. I say "didn't" because now I'm using the Keystone Sprinter 5r and I love the maneuverability. However, I obviously lost my ability to haul the Harley.

I liked the short bed for parking in the garage. I have dents in the sheetrock but it would go in without a hitch in the receiver. I lost access to the garage anyway, so that doesn't matter now and I can get it in my horse shed or barn.

I don't like the ride on the 2016, but I'm sure that's because it's an F-350 instead of F-250. I need to add airbags, I guess. When I hit resonant frequency of the highway cement seams in Colorado the long bed jumps worse that the short bed, and the short bed was bad. I think the problem is the highway cement laying machines they use here and insufficient expansion space in the seams.

I love the long bed for all the space reasons people mention, and it doubles as a farm truck so I need the long bed. With the B&W companion hitch I get use of the full bed and need it frequently. I had a cap on my F-250 and used the back far less because I had to crawl in to use the front of the bed. I have a tonneau cover on the F-350 and love that combination.
B&W Turnover Ball & Companion Hitch
Torklift Stableload Rear Suspension & Revolution Steps
Handi Lift Elevator (not yet installed)
boxcar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2018, 08:10 AM   #29
johnlewis

I agree with the greater room in the back seat of a lwb truck. I have used a swb truck, and knee room seems significantly less. However, the biggest benefit we have found with our lwb Ram is that we can put our bikes in the bed of the truck in front of the hitch. We tried hanging the bikes off the back, but it was a lot of work, and two bikes puts too much load on the ladder. We don't have a rear bumper on the 5th wheel, so no other way to mount on the back.
We are able to get both bikes, our 2 ladders, and two coolers in the bed of the truck, without any of it interfering with towing. Since we travel for 3 or so months at a time, this extra space is really helpful. Not a lot of extra weight, either.
johnlewis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2018, 08:10 AM   #30
NevadaRich

Just one last thing, everyone has said they will stay with the camper they just picked up, well 90% of the campers that I have met, have changed to a bigger camper, I started with a Truck Camper, then Trailer, then 5th wheel, then Toy Hauler, now a 43ft Toy Hauler, but I also still have my Lance Truck Camper that we use in the winter.....Started with a gas 2500, 2500D, 3500 SRW now have a 3500 CC DRW.....so really thing about your next Tow Vehicle
NevadaRich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2018, 08:20 AM   #31
travelin texans

It all depends on each individual as to what THEY are hauling. I have a CC DRW long bed that rides good empty & loaded, but is not a lot of fun in parking lots. The advantage is when it's hooked to my heavy 5er, barely squats it, have a tool box in the bed & still room for a ladder & other needed stuff required for fulltiming. If I could've found the Ram dually with the short box at the time I traded last, that's what I'd of gotten.
As for ride quality, I've driven all the big 3 trucks for 100k+ miles each at work & 1 brand beats them all for worst ride/handling/fuel mileage, whether long or short, crew cab or regular & will let you guess which one is the winner, or loser in this case.
Replacement undetermined
travelin texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2018, 08:49 AM   #32
Jerry S

We have a Dodge crew cab 2500 short bed with a Andersen hitch and love it. I can't compare to any other 5er hitch because Andersen is all I have ever used since switching to a 5th wheel. That 35lb hitch weight makes it easy to load and unload. We pull a Denali 262RLX.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dwood95503 View Post
Currently we have a 96 2500 Standard cab with a long bed. We plan to buy a 2500 Crew cab. Our current trailer is a 21RBSWE. Plan to keep it for many years. We have an Andersen hitch and love it so far.
Jerry S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2018, 08:57 AM   #33
Jerry S

Respectfully disagree, it will not handle a travel trailer better. Saying so does not make it so.

Quote:
Originally Posted by larry337 View Post
I realize you always have to have the last word but believe it or dont, everything else being equal, a 176" long bed crew cab versus a 158" short bed crew cab does in fact ride smoother. Its really simple physics. And it will handle a travel trailer better, which is what the OP asked about. He and I already conceded it wont be as maneuverable. I guess thats why they make both. Buy what you like I always say.
Jerry S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2018, 05:48 AM   #34
Glenda Clark

Talking Short Box

I have a 2016 Chevy Silverado 1500. (4X4) short box 6.5

And it has a 5.3 ◆ V-8 engine.

It pulls my 2018 keystone bullet premier -19 FBPR.

Pulls it like it's not even back there.
I have No problems with my personal set up.

2016 Chevy Silverado , 1500.
5.3 liter V8
Glenda Clark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2018, 06:02 AM   #35
Javi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerry S View Post
Respectfully disagree, it will not handle a travel trailer better. Saying so does not make it so.
Depends on the TT... it will most definitely handle a longer trailer, especially a 30ft+ trailer better.... it's physics..
Old 07-13-2018, 06:13 AM   #36
Glenda Clark

Again , for my 19 foot trailer , my 6.5. Single cab /short box pulls it like it's not even back there.
Stopped by Chevy dealer to inquire about that issue.
My 5.3 / V8 makes a huge difference.
NO Problems. ( For me )

2016 Chevy Silverado , 1500.
5.3 liter V8
Glenda Clark is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bed, tow, towing