Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Fifth Wheels
Click Here to Login

Old 11-28-2019, 02:29 PM   #1
dsttexas

Leather chair peeling

Primarily in just one section of leather chair seatback, the thin leather (?) surface is peeling from it's cloth under layer.
Numerous other small cracks about to peel also.

2015 Montana high country.

Anyone else seen this? What might cause it? What to do about it?

No animals. No leaks. RV stored in RV covered RV port.

See photo. Thanks for any input.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20191128_110531.jpg
Views:	368
Size:	272.3 KB
ID:	24480  
dsttexas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2019, 02:47 PM   #2
travelin texans

Very doubtful it's real leather, most likely "pleather", plastic leather, along with most rv furniture.
If your RV is still under warranty contact your dealer, otherwise a visit to local upholstery shop or furniture store is in your future.
Sorry, just noticed it's a 2015, enjoy shopping!!
Replacement undetermined
travelin texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2019, 02:59 PM   #3
wiredgeorge

All the furniture will be covered with that same pleather stuff and will eventually look just as bad. Get onto Craigslist and find some quality stuff; we have a Lazy-B-Boy love seat recliner and it is real leather. The backs come off for easily getting through a 23" rv door.
2006 GL1800 Roadsmith Trike
wiredgeorge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2019, 03:41 PM   #4
sourdough
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsttexas View Post
Primarily in just one section of leather chair seatback, the thin leather (?) surface is peeling from it's cloth under layer.

Yep, pleather. "Pleather" trademark? The vinyl film on the front peels from the cloth backing....in almost all situations. Resolution? I've not seen anything online or in real life that looked worth a flip after a "repair" was attempted. We have the same issue on both recliners and the couch. What we have done temporarily is ordered arm covers for the couch, which look decent, and cloth covers for the recliners that work OK. At least all the blotchy, peeling material is not in sight.

The ultimate resolution will be replacement of all of it with a couch (no sleeper) and theater seating. Our issue is the recliners on the back wall that have to be turned sideways to retract the slides. Trying to find something that will fit that depth has been unfruitful and we may be looking at buying some sort of narrow recliners to go back in.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2019, 04:35 PM   #5
Customer1

Well known issue with Thomas Payne furniture of that era. The manufacturer will give a large discount on replacement pieces.
Old 11-28-2019, 05:42 PM   #6
Roscommon48

what to do?
just get it redone or like must people buy new furniture.
Roscommon48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2019, 08:12 PM   #7
wiredgeorge

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roscommon48 View Post
what to do?
just get it redone or like must people buy new furniture.
Have you eve had a couch professionally recovered? Ain't cheap; best to buy good used stuff I think. We had an almost new couch (microfiber) that one of our long lost pups found appetizing and she disembowled the thing. Stuffing ALL OVER and my wife literally cried when we came home. We got that thing recovered and to me wasn't worth it except the piece of furniture was almost new.
Old 11-29-2019, 04:45 AM   #8
Roscommon48

We had our chairs redone and they look fine. The reason we did the 'recover' was because we have a sofa with a draw on the bottom and you can't find these type of sofas anymore.
Roscommon48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2019, 07:10 AM   #9
gearhead

A guy told me he re-covered his. Like, he did it himself. Said it wasn't too hard. Picked out the new covering and bought hog ring pliers.
But I didn't know him. We were at the race track and sitting around drinking. So who knows.
2008 Bigfoot 25C9.4 LB Cabover
gearhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2019, 09:24 AM   #10
wiredgeorge

Quote:
Originally Posted by gearhead View Post
A guy told me he re-covered his. Like, he did it himself. Said it wasn't too hard. Picked out the new covering and bought hog ring pliers.
But I didn't know him. We were at the race track and sitting around drinking. So who knows.
Here is a video showing how to use hog rings to secure a custom made cover to a piece of furniture. Pretty well guarantee you won't find the OEM furniture company selling replacement covers but who knows?

Old 11-29-2019, 07:18 PM   #11
gearhead

My perception was that he didn't get the new material from the OEM.
2008 Bigfoot 25C9.4 LB Cabover
gearhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2019, 08:43 AM   #12
sonofcy

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsttexas View Post

Totally normal, simply put up with it until you can't then buy another chair. You didn't really believe they were leather did you? Fixing is likely more than new and with new you get new mechanicals.
In Canada (change site to .com) I am lookin at the following for one of the 3 pieces
https://www.amazon.ca/LIPPERT-COMP-7...5563997&sr=8-5
sonofcy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2019, 09:00 AM   #13
ChrisB

Mine is a 2017 and has not started to peel yet but I fully expect it too. My brother in law's has and he is very frustrated as well. Covers dont stay, peeling mater is everywhere. Recovering is super expensive and new is difficult to match. I heard Ashley has a lawsuit against a durablend leather like material provider. I dont know how far it has gotten or if it will affect this situation. But from what I have heard it is a common problem.

https://topclassactions.com/lawsuit-...ity-durablend/
Old 12-05-2019, 09:08 AM   #14
PDMarlowe

Had the same thing happen to an ottoman at home. "Bonded Leather" is what it was sold as. Did a little research and found out that it is made from ground up leather scraps with a resin to hold it together. Comes apart with age and the little ground up pieces start falling off looking like dirt on the floor. I found some high grade marine vinyl at Amazon that matched the color perfectly and had it reupholstered. It even feels better than the "Bonded Leather."
PDMarlowe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2019, 09:56 AM   #15
charlesjemeyson

We have 2014 Montana Mountaineer and after two years the SAME THING happened to our couch and both theater chairs. We threw them out (after we were told "no warranty" after one year.) and purchased Lazy Boy couch and chairs. We love them.
We do not have any animals, don't smoke, just myself and wife. Only used RV for a few months at coast of Texas. (Mustang Island State Park.) We are hosts at the state park.
charlesjemeyson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2019, 10:12 AM   #16
sonofcy

Quote:
Originally Posted by charlesjemeyson View Post
We have 2014 Montana Mountaineer and after two years the SAME THING happened to our couch and both theater chairs. We threw them out (after we were told "no warranty" after one year.) and purchased Lazy Boy couch and chairs. We love them.
We do not have any animals, don't smoke, just myself and wife. Only used RV for a few months at coast of Texas. (Mustang Island State Park.) We are hosts at the state park.
Do the Lazy Boy theater seats break down into 5 pieces so they can go through the door like the existing Montana POS?
sonofcy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2019, 01:16 PM   #17
CenTXMichellle

Be careful using heating pads on the leather like fabric, that definitely causes separation even though the seating may be heated.
CenTXMichellle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2019, 06:31 AM   #18
Bugz1985

We have a Lazy-B-Boy love seat recliner.
Bugz1985 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2019, 07:49 PM   #19
Gunny Mike

I'm crossing my fingers with my Outback. Had the problem with some couches we bought for our house. Was told it was cheap thin leather. We ended up with a reclining lazy boy couch and went with a fabric cover versus leather. We don't buy leather furniture anymore after getting burnt.
Gunny Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2019, 09:08 PM   #20
sourdough
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunny Mike View Post
I'm crossing my fingers with my Outback. Had the problem with some couches we bought for our house. Was told it was cheap thin leather. We ended up with a reclining lazy boy couch and went with a fabric cover versus leather. We don't buy leather furniture anymore after getting burnt.

You need to know what you are getting and KNOW that it is 100% leather. I try to use it on everything. It doesn't wear appreciably and when it does it just looks better. Unless you are just trying to ruin it it will last many decades. Was in a place 3-4 years ago that had a couch that John Wayne used to sit/sleep on (still in use) and it looked as good as anything that old could....great. Good leather wears well and looks better as time goes on IMO. Fabrics just aren't in the same league.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote