Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Fifth Wheels
Click Here to Login

Old 10-03-2018, 06:01 AM   #1
EDM

What kind of TPMS should I buy?

I would like to have real-time tire pressure monitoring so that I can verify the pressure in my fifth-wheel trailer tires while driving. Does anyone have a recommendation for what works well? I have two axles/four tires. Thanks!
EDM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2018, 06:23 AM   #2
Canonman

There several TPMS that folks here use and recommend. We use the TST 507 with the flow through valve stems. We have not needed the repeater and receive a clear signal from the tires to the truck cab without a failures. We're on our second season with the same batteries in the monitors. Cost for a 4 monitor system was around $200
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	_MG_4128.jpg
Views:	153
Size:	197.0 KB
ID:	18770  
I think the little voices in my head have started a chat group.
Canonman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2018, 06:28 AM   #3
concours

We purchased a TireMinder system 6 years ago and it works great they also have great service
Mor/Ryde XFactor and Wet Bolts
1982 BMW R100
concours is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2018, 06:44 AM   #4
DocP

I've used the EezTire T515 system for 2 years new, and overall it "seems" to work most of the time. I say "seems" because I have not yet had a tire failure since installing the system. There have been several occasions where the receiver lost contact with one of the tires for several minutes, but then restored itself. I did buy the "repeater", which extends the wireless signal, but have not yet installed it.

It's one of those things ... based on my research, this is the system I bought and am overall satisfied with the purchase. Others will no doubt say the same thing about the system they bought.
DocP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2018, 06:58 AM   #5
66joej

I have an OLD TireTraker TT-400. Gives pressures and temps for up to 10 tires (we use it for 4 tires). Has been working great for the last 2 years. Bought used for $50. Still a highly rated system with excellent customer service. Most all systems now are very reliable.

2018 Ram 3500 6.4 Harvest Edition
2018 Cougar 27RESWE
66joej is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2018, 07:09 AM   #6
travelin texans

X2 on the TST507. Have the non flow-thru on all 10 tires, no repeater, user replaceable batteries & has worked great for the last 5+ years.
The problem with any brand is they do not alert you of a blow til it pops, you can watch pressures & temps & hopefully notice a change prior.
If planning on using on a dually truck the flow-thru don't work very well on the rear duals.
Highly recommend using any brand you choose.
Replacement undetermined
travelin texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2018, 07:29 AM   #7
KSH

I have the tst non flow through. You can set an upper and lower alert. So it will alert you if your lose x lbs of pressure before it pops.
KSH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2018, 07:34 AM   #8
sorgeb2010

I installed the TST507. It works great on my 40 foot 5th wheel without a repeater. It cycles thru each wheel and tells you the tire pressure and temp. Highly recommend the TST507! It has saved me major blowout damage already.
sorgeb2010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2018, 10:21 AM   #9
Number 4

Are metal valve stems required or will the TPMS heads work on standard stems. Concerned about stressing standard stems over time.
Number 4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2018, 10:29 AM   #10
Javi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Number 4 View Post
Are metal valve stems required or will the TPMS heads work on standard stems. Concerned about stressing standard stems over time.
Yes, they are..
Old 10-03-2018, 10:30 AM   #11
Javi

Anybody use the The TireMinder Smart TPMS
Old 10-14-2018, 09:04 AM   #12
cliff

We use a Tire Minder that comes standard with the ability to monitor 22 tires. We monitor ten; four on the truck, four on the trailer, and the two spares. It even tells you the temperature at the valve stem.
cliff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2018, 11:49 AM   #13
glendar10

Ford

Any one used the ford TPMS that goes to the on dash screen? I think it would be nice to Beale to see pressure on the dash anytime you want to but how good are they?
glendar10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2018, 12:14 PM   #14
Tireman9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Number 4 View Post
"Standard" rubber valves as found on older passenger cars are low cost. BUT they are only rated for 65 psi.

Just like tires the rubber in valves will "age out" and I recommend that if you have rubber valves they be replaced when new tires are installed.

If you select Internal sensor TPMS you don't need to change to metal valves but once you dismount the tires why not spend a bit more to have bolt in valves installed so you don't have to worry about a valve failure, even without a TPMS.
Old 10-14-2018, 12:16 PM   #15
Tireman9

One thing to include when evaluating TPMS. Warranty.

Also I recommend you not buy from Amazon or ebayas there will be no one there to answer set-up or technical questions.
Old 10-14-2018, 02:13 PM   #16
DROMEO

The patrol

Hey EDM,

I subscribe to the magazine “Trailer Life” and towards the back of the October issue there was an add for Tire Patrol (tire patrol.com 800.815.2159). I’ve checked out the web site and they seem worth the investment. I’ve not purchase or done too much research, but worth the look.

R/

Mark
DROMEO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2018, 02:20 PM   #17
NHcamper

I strongly recommend the TST 507 flow thru system. I have a 36’ dual axle TT being towed by a crew cab F-250 with an 8’ bed. No repeater is necessary. It is easy to set the low pressure and high pressure limits and also the high temp limit.

This system actually saved us. First time was last year.

After pulling out of a fuel stop the alarm went off showing low pressure in one of my trailer tires. It went off as soon as the low pressure set limit went off showing a continuing decrease in a particular tire on the monitor. I immediately pulled of the road and found I picked up a nail in the fuel stop. Changed tire and went on my way. Without this warning I would have been riding along not knowing I was losing pressure until the tire went fully flat, possibly ruining the tire.

The second time was this year when traveling on an interstate the low pressure alarm went off showing 0 pressure on a tire. I immediately pulled off to the side of the road to find that one of my tires had experienced complete tread separation. There was no hearing the bang of the blown tire with the truck windows shut, the A/C on and the radio going. I don’t know what would have happened if I did not have the TPMS.

The TST 507 worked perfectly. One of the best investments I have made for my camping..
NHcamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2018, 05:13 PM   #18
Rick G

We bought the TireMinder system capable of monitoring 22 tires; 6 sensors on the truck and 5 on the camper which includes the spare. As far as I'm concerned, the system is junk because of the false alarms during our 1st and 3rd trips out with the new system. Of course, the alarms came during travels on July 4th weekend when interstate traffic was heavy and checking tires on the side of the interstate was an accident waiting to happen. We have the metal valve stems on the truck, camper, and repeater mounted in the basement at the front of the camper. I don't know about other systems, but the Minder system tells the user that their sensors are not perfect and the pressure readings during use may vary +/- 3 psi, which I find unacceptable.

Carol & Rick
Jack (Border Collie Mix)
Daffy "The Baby" (Lab Mix)
2016 Keystone Montana 3711FL
2019 Ram 3500 Laramie, Crew Cab, DRW, 8' Bed, 6.7L Cummins
Rick G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2018, 05:21 PM   #19
glendar10

Any one used the ford tpms system ?
glendar10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2018, 06:01 PM   #20
johnlewis

We have a Tire-SafeGuard system, which we installed almost 2 years ago. We know it works, because we've had 2 flats on dually (inside tire, of course), and it gave us time to find a place to pull off, so we could safely change tires.
Seems TST, Tire-SafegGuard, and Tire Minder are the most popular, and I've heard good things about them all. If you use the flow-thru sensors, you need metal valve stems. We have the Cap Sensors, which don't need metal stems. I don't think you can go wrong with any of the systems listed above. I chose the Tire-SafeGuard, because it had the largest display at the time.
johnlewis is offline   Reply With Quote