Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Lite Weight Trailers
Click Here to Login

Old 08-09-2018, 06:04 AM   #1
Wxman

Inside vs Outside Level

Curious question. Not something I am actually worried about. When leveling the TT front to back I get very good agreement between the floor, the kitchen counter and even the freezer. All very, very close. However, if I go outside and measure to the bottom of the frame I am about 1.5 inches lower in front than in the rear. I am measuring while on my concrete garage pad and when parked it is level 'front to back' with a slight runoff slope 'right to left'. Is this something anyone else has noticed?
2017 Silverado Z71 5.3L 3.42 gears(sold)
2021 Sierra 2500 4x4 CCSB SLT (gas)
E4 16k/1.6k hitch
Wxman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2018, 09:19 AM   #2
XTeacher

My level reads differently wherever I put it, especially front to back; side-to-side isn't so bad. It even measures differently on the floor in the back of the camper vs. the front of the camper. It measures differently on the tongue. I tend to use the level measurement in our bedroom, since that's where I don't want to be sleeping head down - lol.
XTeacher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2018, 11:30 AM   #3
hankpage
Site Team

The fridge will keep my beer cold even if it is a little off level but Mama won't cook if the stove is out of kilter, so that is my priority. ***** If Mama ain't happy, ain't nobody happy.
hankpage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2018, 01:50 PM   #4
Pull Toy

HAPPY WIFE... HAPPY LIFE! I'm with Hank on this one...

I check level on the door threshold. and the kitchen counter. Even though we have Lippert 6 way, I still like to double check.

Good Luck,

Pull Toy

Steve & Jan, Ava & Emma (Mini Schnauzers):
2016 F350 Lariat 4X4 Powerstroke CC/SB "PULLTOY V"
2013 Alpine 3535RE "MAGIC CARPET IV"
Proud Navy Vet!
Pull Toy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2018, 04:55 PM   #5
Jim & DJ

All I do is check the floor at the entry point. Usually works out...
Jim & DJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2018, 05:25 PM   #6
JRTJH
Site Team

I have a big semi circular level mounted to the pinbox. It has a 1/2" steel ball in it and is easily viewed from the driver's seat. When backing into a campsite, it's extremely easy to tell when we're level "side to side"... If I need to add blocks under a wheel, each mark on the level is 1", so, from the driver's seat I can tell how many blocks to place under a wheel and get the trailer level on the first pass.

Easy and no need to check any "levels inside" the trailer. If the pinbox is level, the rest of the trailer "has to follow" (unless we twisted the frame on the way to the campground)..... Front/rear leveling is just as easy, there's a level on that big one for measuring front/rear level as well.

Once the pinbox is "set" the rest of the trailer is as well....
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	HITCH MIRROR.jpg
Views:	168
Size:	208.4 KB
ID:	17967   Click image for larger version

Name:	REFLECTIVE TAPE (5).jpg
Views:	158
Size:	134.5 KB
ID:	17968  

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2018, 05:38 PM   #7
Wxman

Thanks all. I don’t have a real issue getting it level for use. The floor, counter and freezer all pretty much agree and that is what I have my exterior level set to. I was just curious if it was odd for the frame to be off that inch and half when those other three areas were level.
2017 Silverado Z71 5.3L 3.42 gears(sold)
2021 Sierra 2500 4x4 CCSB SLT (gas)
E4 16k/1.6k hitch
Wxman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2018, 05:50 PM   #8
fjr vfr

It's not odd. It would be odd if they all agreed. It is important to have the fridge at least close to level because of the way it operates. If it's too far out it won't work cool as efficiently.
fjr vfr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2018, 05:52 PM   #9
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wxman View Post
... I was just curious if it was odd for the frame to be off that inch and half when those other three areas were level.
Yes, many of the light weight, XLite and Ultra-lite trailers have tapered frames, many also have cutout holes to lighten the frame, so it's reasonable that you'll measure 1-2 inches higher in the rear than in the front of the trailer when measuring from the ground to the bottom of the frame.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
Old 08-09-2018, 06:27 PM   #10
Chrisk153

You might check out the RV Level Mate Pro. It’s a box that you mount somewhere in the camper that connects to your smartphone. You get the rv level and calibrate it, then prior to pulling into the campsite turn it on and watch the app on your phone. This device has made the difference in deciding not to look for a new rig with auto leveling. I can shade the unit left or right and usually find a spot where I’m level side to side before I’ve even unhitched. Around $140 on Amazon. Way cheaper than a new rig.
Chrisk153 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2018, 09:51 PM   #11
stolly23

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRTJH View Post
I have a big semi circular level mounted to the pinbox. It has a 1/2" steel ball in it and is easily viewed from the driver's seat. When backing into a campsite, it's extremely easy to tell when we're level "side to side"... If I need to add blocks under a wheel, each mark on the level is 1", so, from the driver's seat I can tell how many blocks to place under a wheel and get the trailer level on the first pass.

Easy and no need to check any "levels inside" the trailer. If the pinbox is level, the rest of the trailer "has to follow" (unless we twisted the frame on the way to the campground)..... Front/rear leveling is just as easy, there's a level on that big one for measuring front/rear level as well.

Once the pinbox is "set" the rest of the trailer is as well....
Might be a stupid question, but, I was looking to get this level. Just wondering the best way to make sure you are level before installing it. I mean, when attaching the level, how do you know you are installing correctly to give you a proper read. Does that make sense??
stolly23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2018, 02:18 AM   #12
chuckster57
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by stolly23 View Post
Might be a stupid question, but, I was looking to get this level. Just wondering the best way to make sure you are level before installing it. I mean, when attaching the level, how do you know you are installing correctly to give you a proper read. Does that make sense??

I used a 6’ carpenters level on my floor. Leveled the fiver and then installed on my pin box. It does allow for adjustment when installing so it was easy to set it.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2018, 04:33 AM   #13
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
First, there are no stupid questions. If you don't understand a concept, asking for clarification is always a valid question.

As chuckster57 indicated, get the trailer "as level as you can" then install the "big level". I used a 6' construction level. I placed it side to side on the trailer floor and leveled the trailer, then placed it lengthwise on the floor and leveled front to back. Once I had the trailer level, I changed the position of the level several times to make sure nothing had changed during the leveling.

After leveling and checking to be sure, I proceeded to install the level. Once it's installed, there are adjustments on the level mount to "fine tune" it to be "perfectly level". After adjustment, unless you bump it hard enough to bend it, it'll remain at the settings you adjusted to. Mine has been at the same settings (without readjustment) for almost 5 years and hasn't moved.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
Old 08-10-2018, 10:45 AM   #14
stolly23

I guess what I was trying to say was, how do I know I am actually level. I can level off my floor, counter and rear bumper and get three different readings. I usually use my rear bumper and floor to get a good idea. I just have never felt comfortable attaching a level to my 5er because I don't know if I am level to begin with.

2013 Chevy Silverado 3500 HD Duramax Dually 4x4
2019 Cougar 32BHS 1/2 Ton
Old 08-10-2018, 11:49 AM   #15
chuckster57
Site Team

Pick one. I would use the floor, near the refer.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2018, 11:51 AM   #16
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
I guess what I was trying to say was, how do I know I am actually level. I can level off my floor, counter and rear bumper and get three different readings. I usually use my rear bumper and floor to get a good idea. I just have never felt comfortable attaching a level to my 5er because I don't know if I am level to begin with.
Take your pick, choose the one that makes the most sense to you and level the trailer. After that, put the level away and open an adult beverage. If you keep "running from spot to spot trying to level things everywhere" you'll die an old man with a trailer that isn't level (and thirsty to boot)... Take a chill pill and sit down before you fall down or worse, trip over the level......

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
Old 08-10-2018, 12:00 PM   #17
stolly23

normally I do not spend a lot of time. But great advice LOL. I was just wondering because I’ve always wanted to put a big level on my tongue. But knowing me and my OCD I would have a level on my tongue sand still check my bumper and floor. Lol

Old 08-10-2018, 12:09 PM   #18
JRTJH
Site Team

Who is to say that the rear bumper was welded to the frame level? Who is to say that there wasn't a loose screw or a wire laid under the floor that "jacks up" one side of the floor in one location. Who is to say that the tongue is "perfectly level with the frame 20' back from the point of measure or that the refrigerator was set in the cabinet "perfectly level with the rear bumper or tongue....

You're "assuming" (look that up if you need to) that the trailer was constructed on a jig where every component is aligned and level with every other component... Do you really believe that could happen, even if it was intentional???? Heck, most subsonic airplanes aren't built to that kind of "exacting standard"....

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
Old 08-10-2018, 12:26 PM   #19
MarcS

I level on the rear bumper (side to side) and inside floor (front to back). Its not rocket science to me. So I call it close enough to put the slides out and grab an adult beverage!
Old 08-10-2018, 03:13 PM   #20
stolly23

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRTJH View Post
Who is to say that the rear bumper was welded to the frame level? Who is to say that there wasn't a loose screw or a wire laid under the floor that "jacks up" one side of the floor in one location. Who is to say that the tongue is "perfectly level with the frame 20' back from the point of measure or that the refrigerator was set in the cabinet "perfectly level with the rear bumper or tongue....

You're "assuming" (look that up if you need to) that the trailer was constructed on a jig where every component is aligned and level with every other component... Do you really believe that could happen, even if it was intentional???? Heck, most subsonic airplanes aren't built to that kind of "exacting standard"....
Actually, you got it all wrong. I am assuming, but I an assuming none of those locations are perfectly square. That has been my point this whole thread. How can I install a permanent level when I don't know where to judge it from to begin with. Thanks for helping me be more clear. Adult beverages it is