Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Toy Haulers
Click Here to Login

Old 05-13-2019, 03:18 PM   #21
Tbos

Quote:
Originally Posted by cookinwitdiesel View Post
What do you all use to scrub your roof? I started out with Blue Dawn and an auto style soft brush, didn't do much. Moved to a hard bristled brush for scrubbing floors and that worked better and faster (still using Dawn). Not terribly fun work! The roof looks better than when I started but is not what I would call pristine. Is that the norm?

I also had clear lines of mildew where (I assume) the seams in the roof decking plywood were - is that normal/expected?

Thanks!

My roof has the same lines. I’ve used roof cleaners and a power washer and it helped but it will never be pristine again. What seems to help the most is sunlight. If you’ve scrubbed it and checked all the seals most say you are good to go.
Tbos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2019, 03:24 PM   #22
JRTJH
Site Team

I just had my Cougar washed by a "Mobile RV Wash Service" here in Las Vegas. The campground (RV resort) we're staying in doesn't allow occupants to wash or service RV's on the sites, but somehow it's OK for me to pay someone $75 to wash it for me, and they connect their hose to the same faucet I'd connect mine to.... Makes a "LOT OF SENSE" to me: NOT !!!!!

Anyway, my point is that I didn't pay the extra $50 to have the roof washed. I don't know how dirty it is, but I do know that it's not $50 worth of dirty..... Besides, I checked it last fall before I put it in the pole barn and I'll check it again when we get back home, so I'll deal with cleaning it then, if it needs it.

As for whether blue dawn (what I use) and a hard nylon bristle brush produces better results than the $15 a bottle product that DICOR uses ??? I suppose I'll never find out.

Besides, I walk around the "bottom of the trailer" and have not yet seen the roof (from the ground) so even if it is a little dirty or has some smudges on it, unless they're leaving black marks on the siding when it rains (in Vegas ???) then I'd not worry about it.

Your question about the dark stripes on the roof membrane at the areas where the plywood decking is joined (under the membrane). Both DICOR and Alpha Systems say their membrane will not support mold growth and that the dark stripes are a "reaction to the underlying surface"... (whatever that means)....

But, no, the TPO or EPDM roofing membrane will not support mold growth and any mold that's growing on it, according to the manufacturer, is from "organic substances that are allowed to remain on the surface"....

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2019, 03:59 PM   #23
cookinwitdiesel

Mold is an organic substance, so that is rich
(OLD) 2018 Keystone Hideout 28RKS Travel Trailer
cookinwitdiesel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2019, 04:09 PM   #24
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by cookinwitdiesel View Post
Mold is an organic substance, so that is rich
I think what they mean is that there is nothing in the chemical makeup of the TPO or EPDM membrane that will "feed the mold" to support its growth, so any mold that "sets up housekeeping on the roof" will die without "bird droppings, tree sap or other "organic" food that is deposited on their "inorganic membrane".

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
roof