Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Repairs & Maintenance
Click Here to Login

Old 04-09-2023, 06:04 PM   #21
markdol1

Quote:
Originally Posted by CedarCreekWoody View Post
Sorry bro, no Keystone reps around here.
Oh they slink around this sight time to time, do you think they would engage unhappy customers?
markdol1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2023, 06:08 PM   #22
markdol1

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRTJH View Post
There's something other than the 7 pin umbilical connector on the truck or the umbilical cable from that connector to the junction box on the pinbox.

There is only ONE wire from the 7 pin connector, through that umbilical cable, where it connects to ONE wire in the junction box and then ONE wire from that junction box to the "first brake connection at the axles". That is where it "splits to the opposite side of that axle and also to the rear axle"... On the rear axle, the wire "splits to the opposite side of the rear axle"....

So, if you hear "only one brake magnet humming" the issue is somewhere in the connections "AT THE AXLES"....

If "any brake magnet" is receiving power, then the electrical connections at the truck 7 pin umbilical are intact. Also, if "any brake magnet" is receiving power, then the umbilical cable and the junction box are functional. In other words, if there is power to one brake magnet, then all of those "one wire connections" are intact. Otherwise, there would be NO POWER to any magnet.

I'd suspect, if you have only one magnet humming, then you either "aren't hearing the other magnets" or there's corrosion and wiring problems where that "one wire" splits to go to the opposite side and to the rear axle.....
Hmmm.my front right magnet was wiped and i had no power to the other 3.
Old 04-09-2023, 06:38 PM   #23
LERD

I will say this about trailer cords. When I was leaving Ohio late December, it was only 19°. My trailer disconnected light came on with every bump or every 10 minutes. And it stayed off until I pulled over and re-seated the plug in the socket. I finally got wise and put the proper twist in the cord that kept it from loosening up in the socket. Basically I needed to work with the frozen bends in the cord. That stopped most of my problem. At least I could get an hour or so before it returned. By day 2, the temperature was in the 50-60's and the problem went away. And both my plug and my socket was in good shape and not worn down.
LERD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2023, 06:42 PM   #24
sourdough
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by markdol1 View Post
Oh they slink around this sight time to time, do you think they would engage unhappy customers?

No Keystone reps here. Do they "slink" around? I doubt it. The question would be why would they do that and to what purpose? This is a forum for Keystone enthusiasts that share good, bad, problems and fixes for a multitude of Keystone product lines.

Do they engage unhappy customers? Without a doubt they do and I say that from multiple personal experiences. The customer, YOU, need to make them aware of an issue. It is beyond unreasonable to think that factory reps are cruising all the RV forums looking for problems they can address on an open forum/website.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2023, 08:36 PM   #25
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
Internet legend !!!!! I have access to every member's profile, IP and email address. There are none (nada) that originate in Goshen or that are affiliated with Keystone's internet presence....

I do wish we did have someone to "unload the frustration on" but alas, the only "slinking" going on around here is members who wish for something that "ain't"..... As for the "quality and attention to every detail during the assembly" if you consider the way they push the workers to get the job done and the trailer out the other end of the line, there's not enough time to "fret over whether Dexter or Lippert "did their job of properly wiring the axle beams or whether that pile of axles over by the fence got run into by a forklift last week"... If the axle wiring "ain't right" it's not going to be checked or repaired by the chassis team that's more worried about the other 16 or so frames they have to invert and get axles mounted before they change to a different model trailer to start working on right after lunch.....

As for your "front right magnet wiped out and no power to the other three", that's pretty much what I said in the last sentence in my post that you quoted: "I'd suspect, if you have only one magnet humming, then you either "aren't hearing the other magnets" or there's corrosion and wiring problems where that "one wire" splits to go to the opposite side and to the rear axle....."

It might "be of interest to you" to understand how the axles are sent to Keystone and exactly what Keystone does with the axles.... The line workers pull 6 or 8 "fully assembled axles, springs and all" from the big pile (literally a PILE of axles) and as each chassis frame comes into the line, it is inverted, the axles bolted on, wire run and connected to the left front and left rear wires and the chassis is "set on its tires" to continue the build.

The axles come from Lippert or Dexter fully assembled with the "right brake electrical connections already made "at the factory" (not at Keystone)....

Here's photos of the "pile of axles" and a photo of the axles "awaiting installation on the frame".... Oh, and the tire/wheel assemblies come "20 to a pallet, the entire pallet wrapped in plastic to keep it from falling apart. If you notice in this photo, there's the aluminum wheel/tires for the axles and there's steel wheels on another pallet for the spare..... All of those components are sitting outside, in the rain and snow. You'll also notice the "insulation bubble wrap" in rolls just down from the tires and wheels....
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF0296.jpg
Views:	74
Size:	254.2 KB
ID:	43491   Click image for larger version

Name:	LIPPERT AXLES.jpg
Views:	62
Size:	128.4 KB
ID:	43492   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF0295.jpg
Views:	55
Size:	249.6 KB
ID:	43493  

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2023, 11:51 PM   #26
markdol1

Guess i have been put in my place eh.
Old 04-10-2023, 06:02 AM   #27
flybouy
Site Team

I'll just add one more thing, not piling on, just the truth. The overwhelming majority of "slinking around" is done from "bots, hackers, and spam artists". The site team reads EVERY post, looks at EVERY new member and looks into any and all member reports. This is why you will see periodic notices about not inserting info like phone numbers in posts.
flybouy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2023, 07:26 AM   #28
travelin texans

Quote:
Guess i have been put in my place eh.
Nope, he was just stating facts!
These things are thrown together quickly with only one agenda, get their daily quota out the door as fast as possible...........then we can go home.
If you'd like a real education into why rvs are as they are take a factory tour, any brand anywhere, it will be an eye opener.
The rv industry in no way compares to the auto industry, never has never will.
Replacement undetermined
travelin texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2023, 08:04 AM   #29
raptor0818

Good news, received a new magnet from etrailer, cut the old magnet out, installed new magnet, reinstall hub and tire. Asked the wife to hit the brakes and the wheel stopped. Happy now and will leaving in the morning and going 200 miles, hoping that was the only problem. Thank you all for your time and advice, it is, as usual very much appreciated.
raptor0818 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
5th wheel, brakes