Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Fifth Wheels
Click Here to Login

Old 06-19-2023, 04:03 PM   #41
firestation12

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRTJH View Post
I "mis-spoke" when I said the Soleus I have uses the condensate to cool the evaporator coils. I think it says something along the lines of using that condensate to cool the compressor and the condenser coils which evaporate the condensation for discharge through the vent system. I was speaking from memory and can't find the owner's manual right now to see exactly how it was worded....

Anyway, whatever it does to "evaporate and remove the excess moisture", the majority of it ends up in the bottom of the unit, in a pan that when full, causes the unit to shut down. So, it's pretty much not reliable to cool a bedroom or a garage workshop for very long before it stops working... When it works, it cools great, but when the pan is full, it stops working. That's why I sat it up on blocks with a gallon milk jug under it to get extended run times...

It sounds like the Midea unit has solved that issue or at least extended it enough that the unit will run longer than a few hours in humid weather. That's good to know for future reference if we start looking at another free standing unit. Thanks for the info.
My advice to anyone running a single tube free standing ac unit is give it to someone you don’t like and upgrade sooner than later. That 300 to 400 cubic feet per minute that gets ejected outside, creates a negative pressure which draws 300-400 cfm ingress of outside humidified air from places like past the slide out seals, furnace vents in the belly that lead to the furnace intake, door and window seals etc., hence the constant non stop accumulation hour by hour in the freestanding a/c. Were that not so, the condensate being collected would begin to diminish as the air inside dries out. While the portable ac ejects cool air immediately in front of it, other parts of the camper served by the roof top units, are saddled with the job of handling the job of the ingress.
Retired Fire Capt/paramedic 34 yrs
Current owner 2 HVAC companies
Past owner Res/Com electrical
firestation12 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
5th wheel, cougar, keystone