Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Fifth Wheels
Click Here to Login

Old 08-01-2023, 04:01 PM   #41
wiredgeorge

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeadHam View Post
Your situation is similar to mine. The wife sleeps in till 11 or noon sometimes, while I'm up around 6. The two pups love it as they get to go for long walks.
We always take one or two of the ankle biters/yappers who sleep as long as my wife does. I think they have done some sort of mind-meld.
2006 GL1800 Roadsmith Trike
wiredgeorge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2023, 06:42 PM   #42
travelin texans

Quote:
Originally Posted by crowbar View Post
Had an f350 and a fifth wheel for years. It was easy to pull and maneuver and was comfortable. But I wanted to bring my motorcycle with me so I sold the whole thing as a unit and bought a new f150 and a bumper pull so I could haul my Harley in the truck. It's been great for me. By the way, your cougar model is my "dream" trailer.
A 28.5' 7500+lb TT with a 975+/-lb tongue weight with a Harley in the bed of a F150????? Tractor weights on the front bumper?
Replacement undetermined
travelin texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2023, 03:43 AM   #43
spicercars

5th wheel all the way. Night and day towing difference to me. Had a couple of bumper pulls before getting into a 5th wheel and will never go back. Welcome from northern MN.
Old 08-03-2023, 08:57 AM   #44
Squanto

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bamabox View Post
Kind of an odd reason, but legitimate I can assure you. I knew most of the advantages of a fifth wheel when we bought our first camper in 2017. We ended up with a bumper pull for a very simple reason. DW is a tad claustrophobic. The the bedrooms in 5er’s are up over the nose and unless you go huge, very, very cavelike and tight. That was the end of that. So our 21rbs was perfect. Wide open, very roomy inside for the two of us. Immediately removed the curtain between the bed and the rest of the interior. And I know the 5er’s have quite a bit of storage, but when we go on a longer trip, or especially boondocking, the bed of the truck is completely full.
There are layouts where the bedroom isn't in the front. Also, be careful with loading the bed. Anything in the bed counts 100% against the TV payload while weight in the trailer only about 20%.
Old 08-03-2023, 09:29 AM   #45
wiredgeorge

Quote:
Originally Posted by Squanto View Post
There are layouts where the bedroom isn't in the front. Also, be careful with loading the bed. Anything in the bed counts 100% against the TV payload while weight in the trailer only about 20%.
This has left me confused. What would be loaded in the bed? Sheets and pillows? And how would stuff loaded in the bed count against a tow vehicle's payload any differently than anything else in trailer/5th wheel?
2006 GL1800 Roadsmith Trike
wiredgeorge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2023, 10:27 AM   #46
Max23

Lol, well, I assume he's talking about the storage "under" the bed and in cabinets around it. While his math is a bit flawed ar 120% total. He's not all wrong. My fresh tank is towards the front basically under my bed. I cat scaled it empty and full. It added 320 total pounds. 100 went on the trailer. 220 went to the rear axle/ payload of the truck. So yes. Stuff in the front does load a considerable more amount on the truck than the standard 13% math average would dictate.
Max23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2023, 10:54 AM   #47
Squanto

Quote:
Originally Posted by wiredgeorge View Post
This has left me confused. What would be loaded in the bed? Sheets and pillows? And how would stuff loaded in the bed count against a tow vehicle's payload any differently than anything else in trailer/5th wheel?
If you read the last of the post I replied to by Bamabox, you'll see they solve their TT limited storage options by loading their gear in the TV bed. That weight adds 100% to the TV payload. Whereas, properly loaded in a trailer, it would only add about 20% to the pin weight.

Clearer I hope?
Squanto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2023, 11:55 AM   #48
Max23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Squanto View Post
If you read the last of the post I replied to by Bamabox, you'll see they solve their TT limited storage options by loading their gear in the TV bed. That weight adds 100% to the TV payload. Whereas, properly loaded in a trailer, it would only add about 20% to the pin weight.

Clearer I hope?
I guess I misunderstood how it was meant as well. In my post you'll see I assumed underbed storage in the TT. Actually how you worded it was clear just misread. However, you will see in my example that the 20% rule as well does not apply. I can't "properly load" my fresh water and while it's not 100% on the TV it's well more than 20%. More like 68%. Just another example of how each unit is different and unique so whatever you have you have to know what your doing, how your loading and how it effects every aspect. TT or 5er.
Max23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2023, 12:24 PM   #49
Squanto

Quote:
Originally Posted by Max23 View Post
I guess I misunderstood how it was meant as well. In my post you'll see I assumed underbed storage in the TT. Actually how you worded it was clear just misread. However, you will see in my example that the 20% rule as well does not apply. I can't "properly load" my fresh water and while it's not 100% on the TV it's well more than 20%. More like 68%. Just another example of how each unit is different and unique so whatever you have you have to know what your doing, how your loading and how it effects every aspect. TT or 5er.
I agree, it would be difficult to alter the water tank location, however, the trailer could be loaded with other things behind the axel(s) to offset some of the tank weight. I believe ~20% of the 5er weight should be on the pin and probably for a TT about the same on the hitch. That's what I mean by properly loaded.
Old 08-03-2023, 05:40 PM   #50
rhagfo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Firegod View Post
I currently have a Cougar 24SABWE, 28.5 feet about 7800 max weight. I tow with a 6.4 gas Ram 2500 4.10 gears, 15k max towing.

I am thinking about going to a 5th wheel. I'm looking at 30' or less, max of 10,000 pounds.

What are the pros and cons from people that have gone from tow trailer to 5th. wheel? Or even 5th. wheel to tow behind?

Thanks
Well 5th wheel pros;
Very stable towing, no push/pull from passing trucks.
More storage
Roomier/ taller ceilings
Many report mileage improvement when moving from a TT
Tows shorter about 5’ to 6’

Cons;
Heaver for length
Requires larger TV
More steps
Visit and enjoy Oregon State Parks
rhagfo is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
5th wheel, tow