Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Fifth Wheels
Click Here to Login

Old 06-22-2023, 06:36 AM   #1
dwdlt

RV Travels Apps

Good morning All,

At the end of July, I'll be doing my first long trip with the 5th wheel. Leaving St Louis area down to Weatherford Texas for a week.

Wanted to see if anybody has any suggestions on the different RV travel apps for Iphone that are out there? I've googled them and it seems there are many different options.

Leaning toward Copilot GPS or RV Trip Wizard. I did a search on the forum, but I must not have done it right as I didn't get much of a return. I guess what I am looking for is an app that will provide suggestions for RV friendly gas stops and best route for easier drive while towing the rig.

Any suggestions/reviews anybody can provide would be much appreciated.

Thanks
2022 Cougar 27 SGS
dwdlt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2023, 08:20 AM   #2
travelin texans

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwdlt View Post
Good morning All,

At the end of July, I'll be doing my first long trip with the 5th wheel. Leaving St Louis area down to Weatherford Texas for a week.

Wanted to see if anybody has any suggestions on the different RV travel apps for Iphone that are out there? I've googled them and it seems there are many different options.

Leaning toward Copilot GPS or RV Trip Wizard. I did a search on the forum, but I must not have done it right as I didn't get much of a return. I guess what I am looking for is an app that will provide suggestions for RV friendly gas stops and best route for easier drive while towing the rig.

Any suggestions/reviews anybody can provide would be much appreciated.

Thanks
Is your F250 gas or diesel?
If diesel towing a big 5th wheel the truck lanes at truck stops are the easiest fuel stops. Just be sure to fill up & pull forward out of the stall so you're not blocking the truck behind waiting.
If gas Pilot & Flying J typically have RV lanes, but some can be tricky to get into & out of. If you see a Bucee's on your trip in Texas, stop, they usually are rv friendly with LOTS of pumps & LOTS of goodies inside as well.
Otherwise wait til unhooked for the night & go wherever you like to fill up.
Traveled 10+ years fulltime using only Google maps on my phone, the GPS in the truck & a Motor Carriers Atlas. The atlas is designed for trucks with all clearances or other hazards listed by state in the front & all roads highlighted for safe truck travel, if they can go so can you.
Replacement undetermined
travelin texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2023, 08:29 AM   #3
jxnbbl

For planning vs actual travel I use two different things....

I usually have used the good sam travel planner. It isn't bad in just trying to provide a basic route/places to stay, etc. I am now using the RV Trip Planner for planning our next big trip. I somewhat like this better as it has better planning for fueling stops. We usually travel for uptown 6 hours in a leg which means that we will have to stop for fuel on each leg.

We will see how that goes.

As for the actual driving, I've been using the Garmin gps system for RVs. What I like about that is that I've noted different areas that I do NOT want to go through...for instance Washington DC or GW bridge/NYC. These are stored in a profile so that it will map around these areas.
2023 Ram 3500 6.7L diesel, 3.73 ratio
jxnbbl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2023, 10:04 AM   #4
Roper46

I also have the Motor Carriers Atlas and use the Garmin RV 785 GPS. As stated, you can set up two profiles in the GPS, one for every day use and another for RV towing. I chose the 785 for the dash cam and the screen is smaller with the dash cam.

In the pic is my set up when towing. The GPS is in the center with the Halo back up monitor on the left. My TireMinder monitor is on the right. When not towing I only have the GPS up there.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20230521_114930.jpg
Views:	24
Size:	181.3 KB
ID:	44351  
6.7L I6 CTD with Air Suspension
6 Speed Automatic 68RFE Transmission
Roper46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2023, 06:50 PM   #5
cynnich

We use Sygic Truck & RV Navigation app on an iPad. You configure your vehicle and it gives you a route.
cynnich is offline   Reply With Quote