Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Fifth Wheels
Click Here to Login

Old 09-12-2019, 04:04 PM   #21
ctbruce
Site Team | Emeritus

Great job. Great pictures. Outcome: PRICELESS

Chip Bruce, RPh
Kansas City, MO
2016 Impact 312
2017 Silverado 3500HD SRW
ctbruce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2019, 05:58 PM   #22
Tbos

Nice job. Thanks for all the pictures.
Tbos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2019, 07:56 AM   #23
Firehawkdoug

I have the same issue and removed my tank. My tank is bladder like on topside and bottom. The Rv spec says it’s a 55 gal. The stamped on tank size is 42gal. I suspect the company is ok with stretching the tank size to sell you. It appears your tank like mine is stretched beyond the tank manufacturer size causing our similar issue. I simply bent everything back and reinstalled. You could buy a replacement tank on line which is not going to do the same thing. Hope this explains a little
Firehawkdoug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2019, 08:36 AM   #24
brodad

Looks familiar...

I have a 2018 Cougar 369 bhs. My 80 gallon fresh water tank basically fell out of my trailer 13 months after I bought it. The braces were not bolted (15 of 16 bolts were missing) to the frame and shifted around over time, eventually bowing so much half of the tank fell through the curtain underneath. I have been amazed at just how many incomplete and incompetent items I’ve had to fix due to crap manufacturing. Between having Extended Service and a great local RV Repair Company I had it repaired, had a smaller capacity tank put it, and custom framing done. If you have a BAL slide system, check those pulleys, wires, and brackets for correct alignment too! I have two BAL slides and after having two wires fray my repairman found 7 of the 8 weren’t installed correctly to allow for proper alignment... I love my 5th wheel but think I’ll have to completely rebuild it before long.
brodad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2019, 08:42 AM   #25
Firehawkdoug

My original problem was when I filled my tank sometime ago there were no warnings (overflow) signaling full. The end result is the topside of my tank lifted by living room floor bulging it actually. I think it snapped the 2x2 floor joists.
Old 09-15-2019, 09:20 AM   #26
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Firehawkdoug View Post
I have the same issue and removed my tank. My tank is bladder like on topside and bottom. The Rv spec says it’s a 55 gal. The stamped on tank size is 42gal. I suspect the company is ok with stretching the tank size to sell you. It appears your tank like mine is stretched beyond the tank manufacturer size causing our similar issue. I simply bent everything back and reinstalled. You could buy a replacement tank on line which is not going to do the same thing. Hope this explains a little
The "Laredo 316RL water capacity is 55 gallons. The fresh water tank capacity is 43 gallons and the water heater capacity is 12 gallons" https://www.keystonerv.com/media/2454/laredo-2010.pdf

The way all RV manufacturers calculate "water capacity" is to include all water in the trailer. The fresh water tank in your trailer is 43 gallons, the water heater is 12 gallons which totals 55 gallons. This is done to meet federal requirements for the GVW/payload/cargo capacity calculations.

There's no "stretching the tank size to sell" involved. If you check any Keystone trailer, you'll find that the water capacity is greater than the fresh water tank size...

Hopefully this will help clarify your understanding of "water capacity" vs "tank size".

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2019, 09:27 AM   #27
Firehawkdoug

Thanks it has but my problem is upon getting full the fresh water tank bulges and lifts my floor. I suspect from the sound I heard was that it broke the floor joists. The bladder has to have limits. I now can’t fill completely and that’s how I avoid issues.
Old 09-15-2019, 09:53 AM   #28
travelin texans

Quote:
Originally Posted by Firehawkdoug View Post
Thanks it has but my problem is upon getting full the fresh water tank bulges and lifts my floor. I suspect from the sound I heard was that it broke the floor joists. The bladder has to have limits. I now can’t fill completely and that’s how I avoid issues.
Sounds like the vent is either plugged or has a closed valve installed, possibly just filling too quickly & overcoming the vents ability to keep up.
Replacement undetermined
travelin texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2019, 11:19 AM   #29
tmason

vent tube

Quote:
Originally Posted by travelin texans View Post
Sounds like the vent is either plugged or has a closed valve installed, possibly just filling too quickly & overcoming the vents ability to keep up.
I found that the vent from my water tank was about 2 ft. too long so it was just folded which caused a crimp making filling the tank an incredible pain.The manufacture gives the installer 6 ft. ,6 ft is what is placed even if it doesn't fit.
tmason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2019, 12:09 PM   #30
rwmurphy15

I have a 2013 Fuzion 301 with a 106 Gal water tank and mine are straight
Old 09-15-2019, 12:17 PM   #31
Firehawkdoug

When I had the tank out, I blew threw the overflow and it was free of debris and air flow was good
Old 09-16-2019, 10:04 AM   #32
cenders

Angle of drain

@BobMC Thanks for taking the time of photograph the repairs.

In this case, one of the photos clearly showed the 20 or 30 degree angle the fresh water drain was at... when it should have been straight down. That'd be (in this case) a clear indication of a bulge in the tank.

One other question, in picture 4 (which shows the new new C-channel braces under the installed tank), did you use new angle iron to mount the c-channel braces? In that photo, it almost looks like the angle iron was bent (compared to the axle shown in the same photo). Or did you upgrade that angle as well to be thicker?
cenders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2019, 10:22 AM   #33
BobMc

Exactly now we know what to look for. ����
Old 09-16-2019, 12:29 PM   #34
jimbob

I own a 2010 Fuzion 302. After just one trip the bracing was bowed down like yours. I have a 112 gallon tank and I don't think it would have stayed up there for long. I removed the undersized u-channel braces, straightened them and added a 3" aluminum I-beam under them. The u-channels ran front to back, and the I-beam I installed supports them and both ends of the I-beam are attached to the main frame. The tank will not fall out now. I had photos but can't find them now. I actually spent about a month rebuilding my brand new Toy Hauler. Many issues, quality was awful. Heating ducting crushed, rear ac unit ducted incorrectly..a recall was issued after I did my repairs. The Black and Grey water valves were incorrectly marked. The shower leaked onto the bedroom floor carpet. Many pex fitting leaks. The d-ring hold downs in the garage were loose. 5 of the 9 had rusted off bolt heads that got sucked up into my shop-vac. I removed all and installed all stainless bolts and screws, then sealed all with silicon to prevent any water from getting under the cup or through or around the screws or bolts. Water heater 115 volt wiring was not connected. The main sheetmetal duct was full of sawdust, pieces of sheetmetal and some bottle caps. The 4 speakers in the ceiling were falling out, they were being held in with just the finish trim cover screws. There were many other issues, but I think you get the message. The factory quality control is awful, and I used to run a very large stereo speaker assembly plant. Also owned a radiant floor heating business since 1976, and installed thousands of feet of pex tubing. I can't believe Keystone had not improved the water tank supports. I had a conversation with the factory back in 2010.
jimbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2019, 06:20 PM   #35
BobMc

Sounds like a nightmare. I agree the design, workmanship and quality control is terrible on these units. They aren’t cheap either.
Old 09-16-2019, 06:34 PM   #36
BobMc

Quote:
Originally Posted by cenders View Post
@BobMC Thanks for taking the time of photograph the repairs.

In this case, one of the photos clearly showed the 20 or 30 degree angle the fresh water drain was at... when it should have been straight down. That'd be (in this case) a clear indication of a bulge in the tank.

One other question, in picture 4 (which shows the new new C-channel braces under the installed tank), did you use new angle iron to mount the c-channel braces? In that photo, it almost looks like the angle iron was bent (compared to the axle shown in the same photo). Or did you upgrade that angle as well to be thicker?
I used the original supports that the c-channel was attached to. I replaced the angle iron that runs from side to side that supports the tank. It was bent and buckled. New angle is heavy duty 2” X 2” X 3/16” and bolted to the frame.
Old 09-18-2019, 03:56 PM   #37
jimbob

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobMc View Post
Sounds like a nightmare. I agree the design, workmanship and quality control is terrible on these units. They aren’t cheap either.
You are correct. They aren't cheap, referring to cost, but they are built very cheaply. I can't believe the lack of any attempt to increase their quality. It is very disappointing to see the lack of quality...and like a friend of mine said, just think what owners of these units have to deal with, when they don't have the ability to correct the defects. Then try taking it to a dealer to have the screwed up mess fixed.....no thanks.
jimbob is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
fresh water tank, tank, water