Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Technical Corner
Click Here to Login

Old 05-27-2019, 08:03 AM   #1
KC10Chief

Do you actually like InCommand?

We have had our 2019 Cougar 29BHS for about four months now and use it almost every weekend. Our previous trailer, a Palomino Puma, just had a basic panel with switches. The trailer is great aside from the InCommand panel. I find the InCommand panel to be very irritating, finicky and time consuming. Anybody else? The app is pretty much useless. It works maybe 20% of the time. It's usually locked up though and won't work even when I'm inside the camper. Scrolling through menus to get to various lights or functions seems kind of ridiculous to me. I wish I could just have a regular panel with switches on it with light switches on the walls. Is anybody else having better luck with the app?
ProPride 3P-1400 hitch.
KC10Chief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2019, 01:45 PM   #2
Tbos

I like the app when it works. I would have been happy to have manual switches. Fortunately the main unit has been trouble free so far. We’ve had our rig for a year and lived in it for 4 months.
Tbos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2019, 02:52 PM   #3
DocP

Same as KC10CHIEF - I can take it or leave it. I've had to reset the system twice in the 2 months I've had it; the app often locks up; and I'm worried about what will happen when and if it just stops working. That being said, it's nice to be outside and bring the awnings and slides in and out, and to manage the HVAC system and lights from my phone using the app. Given my druthers, I'd rather have the "old school" panel with rocker switches.
DocP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2019, 03:40 PM   #4
Reedhoppa

Judy is still out for me. I’ve had my Cougar for only two days. So far so good although I keep getting a message on my iPhone that I’m using the wrong version of In-Command. Haven’t had to do any resets and so far the system is running well. I have In-Command loaded on my I-Pad AND I-Phone. Much easier to use those touch screens than the control center on the wall. Thanks for bringing this up. I’m crossing my fingers that my Cougar won’t have the furnace issues that some have when temps dip below 40.
Reedhoppa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2019, 04:11 PM   #5
Fishsizzle

App: SUCKS I took it off my phone in first few days.

I like the In-command for the water heater and slides, take or leave on the lights. The lights still have switches, so I turn them on in the in command, then off with the switch so we can turn back on in the night without running to the panel.
2020 F350 Crew DRW 6.7, 4x4, 10 sod auto, 4:10 gears
Fishsizzle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2019, 04:22 PM   #6
Customer1

We are picking up a new 2018 next week, a major reason for us getting new old stock is because it does NOT have iN-Command.
Old 05-27-2019, 05:11 PM   #7
Fishsizzle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Customer1 View Post
We are picking up a new 2018 next week, a major reason for us getting new old stock is because it does NOT have iN-Command.
We went in the buy a 18 avalanche, it had all switches behind a cabinet door. The 17 Alpine just kinda fell in our lap with the in command. I don’t “hate” it, it’s would be easier if it was more icon like an iPad instead of scrolling through items
Old 05-27-2019, 06:55 PM   #8
wobly

When we got our 2019 29BHS last May and it arrived with InCommand, I was not happy. We went camping that night and I installed the app...or what I thought was the correct app. I was about ready to return the trailer the next day when nothing would work right. But, I looked at the Google Play store and installed the second version I found on the wife's phone and everything started working perfectly.

I can't say that I am a huge fan but, it does work pretty reliably now.

Here is the Android version we are using https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...ctronics.ncsp3
wobly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2019, 07:15 PM   #9
Old Mustanger

Hated it at first, it kept going to travel lockout on my iPhone 4s but when that phone died and I upgraded to an iPhone 8 that problem went away. Now I really like operating the slides and awning while standing outside to watch them but I would rather have switches for the lights, it's kind of a pain to put in the 4 digit password just to turn a light on. I am glad my HVAC is not part of the InCommand as I have the digital thermostat for that.
2019 Ford F350 SRW
Old Mustanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2019, 07:35 PM   #10
Fishsizzle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Mustanger View Post
Hated it at first, it kept going to travel lockout on my iPhone 4s but when that phone died and I upgraded to an iPhone 8 that problem went away. Now I really like operating the slides and awning while standing outside to watch them but I would rather have switches for the lights, it's kind of a pain to put in the 4 digit password just to turn a light on. I am glad my HVAC is not part of the InCommand as I have the digital thermostat for that.
You can get rid of the password
Old 05-28-2019, 02:10 AM   #11
xrated

The In Command is brought to you by ASA Electronics.....that's the same company that brings you the infamously crappy Jensen stereo/DVD player that is in a lot of RVs. So don't get your hopes up too high of getting a good working system....I'm just sayin!
Excessive payload capacity is a wonderful thing

"If it ain't Fast....It ain't Fun"
xrated is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2019, 04:14 AM   #12
OldMasterTech

My first mod was to remove all the lights from the In Command panel and install manual dimmer switches.
Otherwise it is convenient to have control of the slides and awnings right in your hand.
I'm not impressed with the very low quality of the LCD display and the low visibility of the app.
2017 Escape Titanium - 2007 Shelby GT500
2007 E350 Quigley 4wd 6.0 PS
2006 F550 Lariat 6.0 PS
OldMasterTech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2019, 05:03 AM   #13
curtthegreat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fishsizzle View Post
You can get rid of the password
How do you get rid of the password?
Old 05-28-2019, 05:05 AM   #14
wobly

Quote:
Originally Posted by curtthegreat View Post
I believe that you can go to the settings, then password section. It has really be done on the LCD screen, not through the app.
Old 05-28-2019, 12:01 PM   #15
Fishsizzle

Quote:
Originally Posted by curtthegreat View Post
Yes in settings, you’ll need the “master” 4 digit code if I remember right. Google it
Old 05-28-2019, 01:57 PM   #16
Happy Dad

I guess I am in the minority here. I LOVE it!!
At first I had the wrong app version and it sucked. Called customer support and talked to an American who spoke great English and got me all squared away with great customer service skills.

I love operating the slides and most importantly I love being able to operate the two awnings remotely. Saved my butt while I heard the wind in bed one night and realized I forgot to bring them in. Reached next to me and bingo, awnings in. Also nice to turn the outside lights off while sitting outside by the fire after the fam goes to bed.

Having the right app and also having the right map loaded is key.
Old 05-28-2019, 03:07 PM   #17
wobly

Quote:
Originally Posted by Happy Dad View Post

Having the right app and also having the right map loaded is key.
Good point. After installing the correct app, you should go to settings and sync your specific floor plan for your trailer. I know it changed the available settings for my phone app.
Old 05-28-2019, 04:03 PM   #18
LHaven

The touchscreen is way suboptimal, but the idea of the entire system is appealing. I've gotten used to the fact that if you launch the iPhone app and then come back to it 15 minutes later it won't work at all, and you have to remember to force quit the app and start it over again to get it to work – I've complained to ASA about it, and they say it's a known problem that they're working on.

Like a previous poster, I'm not fond of having to go through the red tape just to turn my lights on, but I do have manual switches (although at the other end of the coach).

It's clear they put some thought into the system -- for example, you can use the app to move the awnings and slides if you are on Bluetooth, but not if you are on Wi-Fi and possibly out of visual range of the rig. (However, I have asked them to consider being able to at least retract the awning over Wi-Fi, which would be very handy when windy conditions occur and you are away from your rig.) Also, I appreciate that you can control the water pump without having to put in the password, very handy for urgent loo stops on the road. I wish they would let you turn off the travel lock from the app, because as it is now, the travel lock is the only reason I have to enter the rig at all before it's entirely set up.

But I don't like some of the choices Keystone made. For example, in my rig there are three sets of lights: bedroom, main room, and slide. The slide ones are dimmable, and we like to watch TV with only those on. But the slide lights are the only set that are not wired into inCommand, and the only switch is on the dinette side instead of the recliner side. Maybe it's because inCommand can't handle dimming, I don't know, but it sure spoils the remote control convenience.

It also tends to lose its Wi-Fi connection arbitrarily, and it shouldn't, because the Wi-Fi unit that it is supposed to stay attached to is immediately on the other side of the pantry wall from it.

But as for an overall rating, I think I like it, and I expect it will get better as the manufacturer gets some more experience under their belt.
Old 05-28-2019, 05:25 PM   #19
Fishsizzle

Who has the newer version “Global Connect”?
Old 05-28-2019, 05:30 PM   #20
GeekSquadOfUn

Picking up our Cougar 315RLS next week.

Can the app control the Auto Levelling too? Lippert wants a ridiculous amount for their remote ��

Worth noting that getting the correct app should not be that complicated, not sure why they leave the older versions on Google Play... Very confusing.

I have the Global Connect version , it has the logo on the bottom right.
GeekSquadOfUn is offline   Reply With Quote