Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Technical Corner
Click Here to Login

Old 01-31-2019, 08:50 AM   #1
geeman

TPMS and valve stems

I searched for ideas on best TPMS and only found one back to 2012.

What are your current thoughts on a good TPMS system and why?

Also in other searches have found were people have issues with rubber valve stem leaking or breaking issues with the added weight of the heavy sensor cap. What are you seeing, do I need to have them switched to the steel type?

Then with this added heavy cap, will this throw off my tire balance and cause wear issues??

Thanks
geeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2019, 09:26 AM   #2
sourdough
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by geeman View Post
I searched for ideas on best TPMS and only found one back to 2012.

What are your current thoughts on a good TPMS system and why?

Also in other searches have found were people have issues with rubber valve stem leaking or breaking issues with the added weight of the heavy sensor cap. What are you seeing, do I need to have them switched to the steel type?

Then with this added heavy cap, will this throw off my tire balance and cause wear issues??

Thanks

Here's a pretty recent thread about TPMS systems;
http://www.keystoneforums.com/forums...highlight=tpms

Just hit the search button at the top of the page, enter tpms and lots of stuff will come up for you to look over.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2019, 10:09 AM   #3
NevadaRich

geeman, On my Toy Hauler I changed to steel because of the weight, They work great, but don't leave them out in the snow
NevadaRich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2019, 12:10 PM   #4
FlyingAroundRV

We have the TST503 system on a 272UFL Outback. I haven't had to use the range extender that came with it. We had rubber valve stems with no problems over 10,000 miles of travel.
But you've given me an idea about having the wheels balanced with the sensors on. Next camping season, our TT is going to be treated to a new set of boots and I'll defintely be asking the tire people for metal stems and balance with the sensors on.
2018 Outback 272UFL

https://www.youtube.com/user/TheCscotthendry
FlyingAroundRV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2019, 09:44 AM   #5
CWtheMan

Valve stem example --- 130 PSI.

http://www.trailerandtruckparts.com/...l#.XFSEpPZFx9A
CWtheMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2019, 09:59 AM   #6
daveinaz

I'm also looking into a TPMS system. Most on the forum seem to use the TST-507. However, I am considering the Bellacorp system. It comes pre-programmed for a dually pulling a trailer which is what I have. You just put the numbered caps on their assigned wheel.

I don't really want the pass-through type of cap because of their larger size and potential to leak. And I don't need the ability to add multiple trailers to the system like TST and other higher priced systems do. I am thinking that the Bellacorp system will do what I need for considerably less and not pay for features that I don't need.
daveinaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2019, 11:55 AM   #7
FlyingAroundRV

Dave:
Whether you have the pass thru or cap type sensors, they all have the potential to leak. Like you, I at first thought the pass through units looked larger and more cumbersome. But then I got to thinking about what you have to do to put air in the tires. Every time you put the sensors on, a little air comes out. I doesn't change the pressure all that much, but it bothered me that I wouldn't get an accurate setup. Also, the sensors all have some kind of locking device and that has to be dealt with every time you need to take them off / put them on.
I went with the pass thrus ... 'Nuff said.
2018 Outback 272UFL

Old 02-01-2019, 02:21 PM   #8
travelin texans

The pass thru models on the rears of a dually make it next to impossible to use due to the closeness between the wheels, just FYI from my experience. The anti theft feature is also a PITA on duals.
Replacement undetermined
travelin texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2019, 02:30 PM   #9
daveinaz

Quote:
Originally Posted by travelin texans View Post
The pass thru models on the rears of a dually make it next to impossible to use due to the closeness between the wheels, just FYI from my experience. The anti theft feature is also a PITA on duals.
Yes, I imagine so.

I had the regular style cap TPMS on a previous vehicle and prefer it. It's not much of a big deal to me to remove the cap to add air and the little bit of work involved in doing that is a fair trade for the less complication and less weight. Besides, the Bellacorp system only has the regular screw on caps anyway.

As for the anti-theft stuff, I didn't use that previously either since it adds to the weight and complexity -- although, I suppose if I ever get one stolen I will start using that part of it.
Old 02-01-2019, 03:31 PM   #10
SummitPond

When I initially talked with TireMinder when I was having installation issues after they sent me a replacement montioring unit, they recommended to NOT use the anti-theft devices unless we were in an area that we were concerned about. At present I'm running without them on, but they're handy in the TV when needed.

Now: 2019 Winnebago 2500FL w/e2 WDH;Sold: 2015 Bullet Premier 19FBPR (shown)
2012 Ford F-250 Lariat Super Duty Crew Cab (gas 6.2 L, 3.73 gear ratio 2WD, 172" WB)
SummitPond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2019, 05:27 PM   #11
Theoldroaddog

I use a TST 507 for my Impact 361. I use it on all 5 tires (the spare) and on the spare on my 2018 Ram. The Ram already has a TPMS on it. The 507 have the pass through valves and have worked great. No issues with the system.
Theoldroaddog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2019, 09:05 PM   #12
bobbecky

If your tow vehicle does not have built in TPMS, and you have dual rear wheels, you can get the sensors that go inside the tire, they are installed to the wheel prior to mounting the tire. TST has these sensors that work with the 507 system so you could have one system monitoring the TV and trailer. https://tsttruck.com/507-series-4-in...or-system.html
bobbecky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2019, 08:23 AM   #13
daveinaz

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbecky View Post
If your tow vehicle does not have built in TPMS, and you have dual rear wheels, you can get the sensors that go inside the tire, they stalled to the wheel prior to mounting the tire. TST has these sensors that work with the 507 system so you could have one system monitoring the TV and trailer. https://tsttruck.com/507-series-4-in...or-system.html
That's an option worth checking into. Do you know how the battery life of the internal TPMS compares to external ones. I think external is recommended to replace once a year.
Old 02-04-2019, 10:40 AM   #14
FlyingAroundRV

Quote:
Originally Posted by daveinaz View Post
... Do you know how the battery life of the internal TPMS compares to external ones. I think external is recommended to replace once a year.
That's a very interesting question!
My F250 was 3 years old when I bought it and AFAIK, the batteries in the internal tire sensors hadn't been changed. The original owner had had third parties do his servicing (ie not Ford dealers) and they didn't record what they had done. As of Sept last year, the tire sensors seemed to still be working, so ... I wonder how long they do last.
2018 Outback 272UFL

Old 02-04-2019, 11:25 AM   #15
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyingAroundRV View Post
That's a very interesting question!
My F250 was 3 years old when I bought it and AFAIK, the batteries in the internal tire sensors hadn't been changed. The original owner had had third parties do his servicing (ie not Ford dealers) and they didn't record what they had done. As of Sept last year, the tire sensors seemed to still be working, so ... I wonder how long they do last.
The sensors on my DW's 2008 Escape are still the OEM batteries. They are the "band type" not the "valve stem type". That's almost 11 years and still working.... Yes, I did let the "summer air" out of the tires last year to be sure the TPMS light on the dash came on when the tire hit a low pressure point. All of her tires activated the system at 20 PSI.

My 2010 F150 and both the 2013 and 2015 F250's never had a problem with battery failure or battery output. I do know that when mounting new tires, Ford recommends checking the battery/TPMS wheel sensor and replacing if defective.... No definition of what "defective" means, even from the service advisor. So......

According to one "Tire expert" the batteries in OEM TPMS sensors last 5-11 years with 7 years being the mean. https://www.tirereview.com/changing-...sor-batteries/

I guess my DW's Escape is "living on borrowed TPMS battery time"....

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2019, 09:25 AM   #16
goodellj

I've had a TST 510 system for 7 years on our 5th wheel, and it has saved me several times. I highly recommend a good TPMS. I got a system for all 4 trailer and 4 truck tires, but I think if I was doing it again I might NOT get the truck tire sensors, which of course push the price up a lot. I have a repeater installed in the belly of the 5th wheel.

I would look for 2 features on a new system: replaceable batteries and flow through sensors. Since there are now systems that might use your smartphone for the display, I guess I would also add a dedicated display unit as a desirable feature. I've had my system so long that the sensor batteries have started to fail, and new sensors are not cheap and since the 510 system is no longer made I will eventually have to replace the whole system. Flow though sensors allow you to add or remove air without removing the sensor from the valve stem, which I think is a major convenience.

I have had many slow leaks and 1 puncture over the years. MAYBE I would have noticed the puncture right away (it happened on the I-610 in Houston), and the slow leaks I definitely would not have noticed till I checked the pressure manually or seen a tire that was visibly low in pressure. The problem is that when a trailer tire loses some of it's pressure, the belts inside start to flex, and then fail. The failure of the belts causes more flexing and eventually the tread separates from the tire, often causing major damage to the surrounding trailer body, brake wires, and even neighboring tires. This is the highly visible damage you occasionally see when someone says they "had a blowout".

Since it has been 7 years, I can only tell you that I am happy with my TST 510 system. If I was buying a new system, I would do my homework and check with other users.
6.7L V-8 diesel, 6-sp automatic, 3.55 axle ratio
goodellj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2019, 10:19 AM   #17
TJTx

After much research, I purchased the TireMinder Smart TPMS. It proved to be the best value in terms of performance and price. I had it now for over a year and it has worked great. I like using my iPhone as the monitor device as the unit has a Bluetooth transmitter that has an audible alarm. If the alarm sounds, my navigator (DW) picks up my phone and reports the issue.

I have not had any stem or balance issues. Please be aware that there are 2 types of transmitters: brass and aluminum if you have aluminum valve stems. It is also a good idea to get a good portable 12v compressor and a 12v extension cord in case the cord of the compressor is not long enough.
Old 02-10-2019, 09:32 PM   #18
ES4R

Hi! I am new to this forum and was just looking around and saw this tread (and read the other thread mentioned earlier in this thread). I have been looking around for a TPMS for awhile but have not pulled the trigger. It seems like most like the TST 507/510.

I ws wondering if anyone has anyone tried these...

https://www.tirerack.com/tpms/detail...market+Systems

I don't want to hijack the thread... if inappropriate, let me know and I will start another one

Thanks!
Allan
ES4R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2019, 09:40 PM   #19
trucker LOU

Hey Goodllj, I have had the 510 system for about 5 or 6 years. when a sender batt. goes bad TST will re batt. them for about 1/2 the price of new ones.I just had 3 done last week. sure are nice folks to deal with, a real person answers the phone when you call.---Lou---
trucker LOU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2019, 09:56 PM   #20
HitFactor
Gone Traveling

Link is 404, can you fix or give product name and model?
HitFactor is offline   Reply With Quote