Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Travel Trailers
Click Here to Login

Old 09-25-2018, 08:48 PM   #1
anarchia

LOST KEYS!!! Cougar 2013 Trailer

Urgent situation, so me and my partner are moving into a new trailer park in a few days. Alas they haven't been able to find the keys! We figured out we can unscrew the emergency exit window to get in but we can't keep doing this once we are moved into the park. We've been trying to figure out how to replace our keys, if anyone has advice. We don't care to replace all the locks unless if necessary, we just want to get a new set of keys. Is it possible that Keystone would help us then refer us to a dealership that would provide keys or?
anarchia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2018, 02:27 AM   #2
chuckster57
Site Team

Welcome to the forum!!

Keystone won’t know what key number was used when your coach was built. You can take the inside plate off the entry door lock and the key number should be on sticker.

If your trailer came as “one key” fits all then using that number, just ask any locksmith/key cutting place to make a new one. If the compartment locks are round silver locks then most likely they are CH751 and that key is available just about everywhere. If they aren’t then a picture would help.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2018, 08:00 AM   #3
travelin texans

If your compartments are the CH751 then 1/2 or more of the people in the park will have a key for you. The entry door is usually a different key.
Replacement undetermined
travelin texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2018, 10:35 AM   #4
Thomasbeau

I know this a little bit of hindsight but we just picked up our new 5th wheel in July and one of the first things we did was locate the number on the key and purchased a 1/2 dozen spare keys for the entry door. We found a locksmith company selling on eBay and I was able to buy 6 keys for about $20. These were the purple entry keys, not the CH751 key.

We also very quickly replaced all of the cylinder locks on the cargo doors to replace those universal CH751 lock sets. You can pick up new keyed alike locks for cheap and they only take about 10 minutes each to replace. Of course if a thief wants to get in there no lock is gonna stop them but at least it'll keep kids and the curious out. Gives me a little piece of mind when I am at a busy rest area and we leave the unit for a few minutes.
2015 F350 SD Lariat Platinum Crew Cab, 6.7 Diesel
Thomasbeau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2018, 10:38 AM   #5
wiredgeorge

If you are not locked out, it takes about 5 minutes to replace the old lock on your trailer with a new one (4 screws) plus a couple for the strike plate. The new locks generally come with the lock plus the deadbolt and are keyed the same so essentially get four keys. I wouldn't bother with a locksmith. The storage doors, well you have already gotten suggestions but they are pretty easy to replace as well and I think a screwdriver could get them open pretty quickly. They will just twist till they are not catching on the frame edge.
2006 GL1800 Roadsmith Trike
wiredgeorge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2018, 09:45 PM   #6
B-O-B'03

Our trailer came with 2 sets of keys, one set lives in the glove-box of the pickup and the other set stays in the key dish in the mudroom at home.

I try to remember to grab that set when we go camping and if they are not in my pocket, they are on the shelf under the TV, with the truck keys.

The keys are always returned to their respective places and have yet to become lost

-Brian
Old 10-02-2018, 02:56 AM   #7
mazboy

This is a GREAT example of why we all need a couple of extra sets of keys.
keep an extra entry key somewhere OUTSIDE on your trailer
keep an extra set in the trailer
And, keep an extra set in your truck/car

It is funny watching people trying to get into their locked trailer.
mazboy is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cougar, keystone cougar 2013, lost keys