Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Technical Corner
Click Here to Login

Old 09-23-2018, 04:53 PM   #1
Local150

Mice through landing gear ?

Have a question maybe some of you can answer. Have had 2 5vers and other ones I have seen are the same,, they all have a hole in the under belly that the landing gear go through,, the hole is way bigger than the landing gear,, looks like a place for mice to enter to me. Has anyone tried to close that ? And if so with what,, was thinking of using some thin rubber like a piece of inner tube,, your thoughts on this ?
Local150 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2018, 05:54 PM   #2
Tallboy

I have always used Downey brand dryer sheets some years ago I read something about this in trailer life. I can tell you that that there is suppose to be some chemical in there that mice don't like. All I know is that I have not hade any mice in any of our campers when we open them up and generally smell good too !
Tallboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2018, 06:20 PM   #3
Local150

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallboy View Post
I have always used Downey brand dryer sheets some years ago I read something about this in trailer life. I can tell you that that there is suppose to be some chemical in there that mice don't like. All I know is that I have not hade any mice in any of our campers when we open them up and generally smell good too !
I have used them before also,, seemed to work,, just wondering if anyone has figured a way to fill those holes,, or if they think they should be. Thanks for the reply
Old 09-23-2018, 08:08 PM   #4
JRTJH
Site Team

I crawled under our trailer and used spray foam to fill the areas around the landing gear. While under there, I went over the entire belly and used 3 cans of foam "sealing things up"..... There's far more holes than just the places where the landing gear are mounted.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2018, 02:55 AM   #5
Pull Toy

I can't think of any reason not to seal access points. Wads of Aluminum Foil works great for small openings. You already have it on hand, and it doesn't ever rust. I used to use Downey sheets, but they become excellent bedding to line a mouse house, once the smell is gone. LOL

Good Luck,

Pull Toy

Steve & Jan, Ava & Emma (Mini Schnauzers):
2016 F350 Lariat 4X4 Powerstroke CC/SB "PULLTOY V"
2013 Alpine 3535RE "MAGIC CARPET IV"
Proud Navy Vet!
Pull Toy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2018, 03:48 AM   #6
liv42day777

I purchased some metal flashing material from HD, made a cardboard template and cut the metal big enough to cover the hole and lay up against the jack housing.
liv42day777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2018, 03:54 AM   #7
jkohler70

Dryer sheets is a myth. I worked as an exterminator many years ago. It wasn't unusual to find that mice had chewed up dryer sheets and used them for bedding.
They server two purposes - your RV will smell better and maybe the mice will use the dryer sheets for bedding instead of chewing up a cushion.
Old 09-24-2018, 05:09 AM   #8
flybouy
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Local150 View Post
Have a question maybe some of you can answer. Have had 2 5vers and other ones I have seen are the same,, they all have a hole in the under belly that the landing gear go through,, the hole is way bigger than the landing gear,, looks like a place for mice to enter to me. Has anyone tried to close that ? And if so with what,, was thinking of using some thin rubber like a piece of inner tube,, your thoughts on this ?
Mice infiltration has been discussed adnouseum on this forum. As for closing up the hole it's amazing how small of a hole a mouse can transit thru. I would defer to the numerous posts on these issues that can be referenced via the search feature.
flybouy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2018, 03:13 PM   #9
Local150

I was bored today so I went to a Camping World today,, asked to look at some used 5vers. Almost everyone I looked at had steel wool stuffed in the holes
Old 09-25-2018, 05:14 PM   #10
bg71361

I used gutter mesh, on mine the backside was closed off and tight, I essentially needed to seal 3 sides so I cut an oversized “U” and used clear silicone adhesive caulk to adhere to surrounding metal. No issues 6 years in. I used the mesh to retain some airflow for my 12v frig when hatches are closed.
Good luck!

Mesh
https://www.homedepot.com/p/Amerimax...FREHDAod_uEHew
bg71361 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2018, 07:43 AM   #11
MSB1766

I also use the cans of foam and caulk to seal up the bottom of the camper, I also use steel wool to fill any holes that I did not want to fill with foam or caulk, say between the bottom of the camper and where the water lines come through to the pump area.
MSB1766 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2018, 03:17 AM   #12
sugarhillctd

Steel wool will rust. Better hardware store will carry copper or bronze wool that won't rust.

Also check this stuff out. Recently used it to seal around multiple mouse pathways.

sugarhillctd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2018, 10:14 AM   #13
Thoremilly

Quote:
Originally Posted by Local150 View Post
They sell an expandable foam with a formula that has a deterrent for mice. That’s it mice Shild
Thoremilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2018, 10:40 AM   #14
jertour

landing gear

I used some flat sheet metal, made patterns then cut the metal to fit snug.
then I used some flex-seal to seal it up and it works great.
Old 10-04-2018, 11:01 AM   #15
Thoremilly

Mice

Quote:
Originally Posted by MSB1766 View Post
I also use the cans of foam and caulk to seal up the bottom of the camper, I also use steel wool to fill any holes that I did not want to fill with foam or caulk, say between the bottom of the camper and where the water lines come through to the pump area.
I sealed up the landing gear with that foam and also under the kitchen sink sewer and water lines so far so good
Thoremilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2018, 04:10 PM   #16
vern650

I did the spray foam as mentioned earlier, and steel wool in holes that I may need to access in the future.
vern650 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2018, 04:43 PM   #17
bob91yj

I'm not so sure I'd use steel wool, at least the finer stuff will burn pretty good with just a spark.
bob91yj is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
landing gear