Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Community Forums > Odds 'n Ends
Click Here to Login

Old 12-22-2019, 02:29 PM   #61
bsmith0404

Gentlemen, you can all believe what you want, but I’m telling you that the law for RVs in NM is fine for any state. There is a reason it is very specific. For example, you cannot register an RV in NM if you already own it and live in another state. You cannot purchase an RV in NM, have it shipped to another state and still register in NM. In order to comply with the law (and NM had to get approval from other states to do it) you must purchase a new RV in NM, take possession of it in NM, pay NM sales tax and register it in NM with your home address in whatever state you live in. You can then take it home and NM will mail your registration renewal to you for as long as you own the RV. Again, the law is very specific and ONLY applies to RVs. Car dealers in NM cannot do this and the NM law specifically states you must have a NM address to register an automobile in NM. If the state of NM was only trying to get your revenue and you had to re-register once you got back home, they’d do it with cars as well. You CANNOT register a car in NM without a NM address. Again, there is a reason the law is specific to RVs. Anyone who wishes to pay the sales tax and registration fees that states such as AZ. CO, and CA make them pay is simply throwing their money away IMO. It’s your choice, but many have taken advantage of this and it is 100% legal. I’ll just leave it at that.

Those who Read this and wish to take advantage of it are free to do so, those who wish to remain skeptical and pay the higher taxes and registration fees in their home state are also free to do so.

Additionally, anyone who wants to say that NM does this without any regard to laws of other states, please provide some type of explanation why you think they would only do it with RV registration. Why would they say, we don’t care about the laws of other states for RVs, but we will comply with other states for autos? Using the words of Spock, that’s not logical. Lol.

If the link I provided earlier doesn’t work for you and you wish to read the actual NM law, google New Mexico Snowbird law, it’ll come up.
bsmith0404 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2019, 02:33 PM   #62
beeje

Quote:
Originally Posted by firestation12 View Post
Arizona...2019 Alpine 3700FL 42' length $1870 for 1 year. I bought used from an individual in Kalispel Montana January 2019. Had I purchased new from a dealer in Phoenix area, sales tax for city and state would have been added. Each year, the annual renewal decreases by about 7% from the $1870 (still a chunk of change).
Holly Hell. LOL no way would own a trailer there.
We are in central MD
Truck tags are $81 a year
Montana tags are $124 a year
Both are done every 2 years so double those figures.

However, everything else is WAY expensive here around the Baltimore/Washington area.

Our property taxes are close to 4k a year for an assessed value around $330k
beeje is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2019, 03:27 PM   #63
PinTwister

Michigan: $250.00 life of the trailer.
Timbren Rear Suspension
PinTwister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2019, 04:48 PM   #64
sourdough
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by bsmith0404 View Post
Gentlemen, you can all believe what you want, but I’m telling you that the law for RVs in NM is fine for any state. There is a reason it is very specific. For example, you cannot register an RV in NM if you already own it and live in another state. You cannot purchase an RV in NM, have it shipped to another state and still register in NM. In order to comply with the law (and NM had to get approval from other states to do it) you must purchase a new RV in NM, take possession of it in NM, pay NM sales tax and register it in NM with your home address in whatever state you live in. You can then take it home and NM will mail your registration renewal to you for as long as you own the RV. Again, the law is very specific and ONLY applies to RVs. Car dealers in NM cannot do this and the NM law specifically states you must have a NM address to register an automobile in NM. If the state of NM was only trying to get your revenue and you had to re-register once you got back home, they’d do it with cars as well. You CANNOT register a car in NM without a NM address. Again, there is a reason the law is specific to RVs. Anyone who wishes to pay the sales tax and registration fees that states such as AZ. CO, and CA make them pay is simply throwing their money away IMO. It’s your choice, but many have taken advantage of this and it is 100% legal. I’ll just leave it at that.

Those who Read this and wish to take advantage of it are free to do so, those who wish to remain skeptical and pay the higher taxes and registration fees in their home state are also free to do so.

Additionally, anyone who wants to say that NM does this without any regard to laws of other states, please provide some type of explanation why you think they would only do it with RV registration. Why would they say, we don’t care about the laws of other states for RVs, but we will comply with other states for autos? Using the words of Spock, that’s not logical. Lol.

If the link I provided earlier doesn’t work for you and you wish to read the actual NM law, google New Mexico Snowbird law, it’ll come up.

This topic has been interesting and should probably be thought provoking to some. As John pointed out most states have specific rules on the length of time you have to register a vehicle. RVs can get a little muddy.

I have a home in NM and one in TX. I have a TX DL so it can be claimed it is my primary residence. I spend no more than 4 months there as we travel around. I register my vehicles either in TX or NM depending on how much irritation the dealer gives me (at times they don't like messing with out of state registrations) about registering it out of state or the difficulty I will face trying to get the tags. I sometimes register in NM simply due to a 3% sales tax vs 6.25% in TX.

I am considered a "bonafide resident" of NM per NM law. Own a home, pay utilities year round etc. I used to stay there about 4 mos. a year but now it's less. NM said it was fine to register my vehicles there but I was concerned about the TX law that says your vehicles must be registered within 30 days if you are a resident. I spoke to the chief of police about it. He advised that, yes, I am required to register any vehicle I own in my county within 30 days.
I asked about being considered a NM resident and he asked "what does you DL say"?. But, as we discussed it further he admitted it would probably be difficult to press that point and they wouldn't to make me re-register a vehicle. Now in a disaster I'm not sure how a judge, jury or lawyers or going to interpret what I do. That's why, when I hopefully ever buy this new truck, it will be moved to TX and leave only my CJ7 that lives at our NM house registered there.

The issue with RVs seems to be much more convoluted. Brent pointed out the NM snowbird law; I have not pulled that and read it. But I did find it interesting as I was doing a cursory overview of TX law that I can't find anything specific mandating registration within your county "or else". I did find however, unknow to me, that TX has a "snowbird" rule as well. Skimming through the DMV laws it seems to me there is enough ambiguity and conflicting statements to make enforcement a nightmare. But, for grins, here is an excerpt from the TX DMV about RVs which makes me wonder if Brent's comments might be hinged on these types of rules in other states:

"• “Winter Texans” are part-time residents who have dual residency in Texas for part of the year and another jurisdiction for the remainder of the year. They may not be employed or enter into business in Texas. Based on an opinion of the Office of Attorney General JM-611, applicants may title and register a vehicle in Texas provided they have a Texas address. Visitors to Texas without a Texas address may not title and register a vehicle in Texas. All other county residency requirement procedures remain in place for leased vehicles, military personnel, out-of-state corporations, bonded title applicants, college students, and reciprocity agreements between other jurisdictions."

I highlighted the word "may" because they are not mandating that it is registered, more giving you an option it sounds like. Fun and games!!

Oh! I think my registration on the trailer is around $133 a year plus annual inspection. The new truck I hope we get ordered will be 6.25% sales tax, 28 title and 77.25 registration if I recall. If anyone would like I can attach a link to the TX DMV laws....
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2019, 05:00 PM   #65
bsmith0404

Just to add a bit to that, we have sold RVs to many police officers from TX. One stayed he specifically come to us because of the snowbird law.
Old 12-22-2019, 05:14 PM   #66
Logan X

One of the reasons California has high registration fees is because the California Highway Patrol is funded by them. The CHP does a fantastic job and I feel better knowing some of my money is going the CHP officers salaries.
Logan X is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2019, 06:06 PM   #67
vampress_me

Quote:
Originally Posted by bsmith0404 View Post
Well, MN must be one of those states that doesn’t allow registration in NM for campers. From dps.mn.gov - “Welcome to Minnesota! ​A certificate of title is proof of vehicle ownership. New residents have a 60-day grace period in which to register their cars, passenger vans, 3/4 ton or less pickups, motorcycles, utility trailers or house trailers as long as the displayed license plates are current.”

John, I’m curious about what you wrote as an example in one of your posts - “As an example, don't have a Michigan driver's license and be operating a snowmobile registered in your name in Wisconsin without the proper Michigan permits/registrations being completed....”. Which state has the issue, MI or WI?

2019 F-350 diesel 4x4 CC LB DRW, not the mom taxi anymore...
2021 Alliance Paradigm 340RL
2016 F-350 diesel 4x4 CC LB SRW, mom taxi - sold
2014 Cougar XLite 28RDB - sold
vampress_me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2019, 06:10 PM   #68
mullhaupt

just paid 450 for a 22rbs 2020 Loveland Co.
mullhaupt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2019, 06:11 PM   #69
bsmith0404

Quote:
Originally Posted by vampress_me View Post
Well, MN must be one of those states that doesn’t allow registration in NM for campers. From dps.mn.gov - “Welcome to Minnesota! ​A certificate of title is proof of vehicle ownership. New residents have a 60-day grace period in which to register their cars, passenger vans, 3/4 ton or less pickups, motorcycles, utility trailers or house trailers as long as the displayed license plates are current.”

John, I’m curious about what you wrote as an example in one of your posts - “As an example, don't have a Michigan driver's license and be operating a snowmobile registered in your name in Wisconsin without the proper Michigan permits/registrations being completed....”. Which state has the issue, MI or WI?
Don’t see RVs mentioned in the MN law. Utility trailers are not RVs, that’s would be like a flatbed or ATV trailer. A house trailer is a mobile home. Yes, mobile homes get plates and registrations. I do find the 3/4 ton or less for trucks interesting. If you have a 1 ton, does MN allow you to keep it registered in another state? Never seen anything like that before. Guess there are all kinds of exceptions out there.
Old 12-22-2019, 06:33 PM   #70
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by vampress_me View Post

Lynette,

In Michigan, snowmobiles are registered to the owner using "registration numbers" (like boat registration). Each 3 years that registration number expires and the owner must renew his registration. If you "import" a snowmobile that is not registered (new or used) or that is registered in another state, you have 60 days to complete the Michigan registration to reflect your ownership.

If you are from Wisconsin, have a Wisconsin driver's license and a Wisconsin registered snowmobile, then you can operate your snowmobile on Michigan trails as long as you purchase a Michigan snowmobile trail permit.

In addition to the registration, for Michigan residents, in order to operate the snowmobile on "public roads or snowmobile trails" you must also purchase a trail permit, which is required annually and expires in March of the following year. The trail permit is assigned to the owner (not the snowmobile) and the documentation reflects that it is not transferrable and is affixed to only one machine.

DNR does regular "snowmobile safety inspection checkpoints" during high use times. If you have a Michigan driver's license and a snowmobile that's registered "out of state", you'd best have proof that it's not your snowmobile (rental agreement, permission slip from the owner, etc) or you're subject to getting a ticket for an improperly registered snowmobile.... The "kicker" is if you have a trail permit, purchased more than 60 days previously, in your name and attached to the snowmobile, then it's pretty hard to say it's not your machine or that you "just bought it and are going to register it before the 60 day expiration".... Many have tried, few have talked DNR out of giving them a ticket which usually costs more than the 3 year registration and the trail permit.... So, gamble on saving a few bucks and if you get caught, you'll be paying 2 or 3 times the cost to register it and being done with it....

Does that answer your questions? Essentially, if you visit Michigan and bring your snowmobiles to ride, if they're legally registered where your driver's license says you're from and you buy a Michigan trail permit, you're legal on any public snowmobile trail in the state.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2019, 07:35 PM   #71
Ken / Claudia

I just double checked the OR proportional vehicle license law 826.007. RVs not not covered here as I thought. It's for fleet vehicles, think U-haul they all have AZ plates.
803.325 requires OR residents when buying an "out of state vehicle" must have a OR license plate within 30 days.
I wrote many of those on passengers vehicles and boats (marine law), never an RV.
The cites are written "Void foreign vehicle license."
Above is only Oregon laws.
As of 05-2020, I am all done with 39 years total police work. No more uniforms for me.
Ken / Claudia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2019, 08:07 PM   #72
Northern Lights

For those registering in Florida, Auto, truck & RV's can be registered for two years instead of one.
No discount, but a nice convenience.
Northern Lights is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2019, 08:13 PM   #73
bsmith0404

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northern Lights View Post
For those registering in Florida, Auto, truck & RV's can be registered for two years instead of one.
No discount, but a nice convenience.
NM does the same thing, but gives a $2 discount. If you want to, you can renew on mine, they charge a $2 convenience fee for that.
Old 12-22-2019, 08:33 PM   #74
vampress_me

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRTJH View Post
Lynette,

In Michigan, snowmobiles are registered to the owner using "registration numbers" (like boat registration). Each 3 years that registration number expires and the owner must renew his registration. If you "import" a snowmobile that is not registered (new or used) or that is registered in another state, you have 60 days to complete the Michigan registration to reflect your ownership.

If you are from Wisconsin, have a Wisconsin driver's license and a Wisconsin registered snowmobile, then you can operate your snowmobile on Michigan trails as long as you purchase a Michigan snowmobile trail permit.

In addition to the registration, for Michigan residents, in order to operate the snowmobile on "public roads or snowmobile trails" you must also purchase a trail permit, which is required annually and expires in March of the following year. The trail permit is assigned to the owner (not the snowmobile) and the documentation reflects that it is not transferrable and is affixed to only one machine.

DNR does regular "snowmobile safety inspection checkpoints" during high use times. If you have a Michigan driver's license and a snowmobile that's registered "out of state", you'd best have proof that it's not your snowmobile (rental agreement, permission slip from the owner, etc) or you're subject to getting a ticket for an improperly registered snowmobile.... The "kicker" is if you have a trail permit, purchased more than 60 days previously, in your name and attached to the snowmobile, then it's pretty hard to say it's not your machine or that you "just bought it and are going to register it before the 60 day expiration".... Many have tried, few have talked DNR out of giving them a ticket which usually costs more than the 3 year registration and the trail permit.... So, gamble on saving a few bucks and if you get caught, you'll be paying 2 or 3 times the cost to register it and being done with it....

Does that answer your questions? Essentially, if you visit Michigan and bring your snowmobiles to ride, if they're legally registered where your driver's license says you're from and you buy a Michigan trail permit, you're legal on any public snowmobile trail in the state.
Yep, I think so. Never knew another state would care on registration of an out-of-state snowmobile if the out-of-stater would come snowmobile in that state as long as they had the proper state’s trail permit (and my drivers license and insurance on it). I used to have a snowmobile that moved here with us from MT. Didn’t register it in MN because I didn’t want the registration numbers on it like a boat. (This is the same state that requires a “license plate” to ride horseback on its trails too - idiots, but that’s another story). Never had to do that in MT, didn’t feel like it here. Plus, would not ride it in this state, period. If I rode it in another state, I would always buy that state’s trail sticker. I guess I always figured if I was legal for whatever state I was riding in, I was good. I also did have insurance on it also, so was covered there.

2019 F-350 diesel 4x4 CC LB DRW, not the mom taxi anymore...
2021 Alliance Paradigm 340RL
2016 F-350 diesel 4x4 CC LB SRW, mom taxi - sold
2014 Cougar XLite 28RDB - sold
vampress_me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2019, 03:39 AM   #75
atkinsb3

We live in Prince William County VA. When we bought our first trailer about 12 yrs ago we had to put tags on the plates every year that cost us around $50. There is no luxury tax in this county.

I noticed other RVs had "Permanent" plates on them but never found out why I didn't get them.

When we bought our new trailer, they came with permanent plates from the dealer.

The only thing we have to do every year is get the State safety inspection. ~ $35.

Don't everyone rush to move here, we're heavily taxed on other things .

Bill and Kathy
2018 Passport 2670BH "Bubbles"
2017 Titan Crew Cab "Thirsty Lady"
atkinsb3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2019, 04:04 AM   #76
Nitehawk

Wow... Quebec is one time permanent plate.. I think it was 45$ when we did it last year . But the Tow Vehicle almost gave me a heart attack. We have a charge for engine size then we have a no fault contribution. Then we have a transportation charge last we have What they called a Luxury tax
My TV is 2019 Yukon Denali 6.2 litre 4x4 plated last yr for 1100$ this yr was 1000$ , now insurance is a whole other ball game.
Nitehawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2019, 10:16 AM   #77
crowbar

In B.C. lic./ins. for my 2012 26' Springdale - $71 and for my 2013 F-150 - $889. That is on an annual basis.
crowbar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2019, 04:49 PM   #78
AlaskaJeff

Alaska

Juneau, Alaska
$144 for two years for pickup
$34 for two years for fifth wheel

No inspections whatsoever.

https://online.dmv.alaska.gov/MVRTCost/
AlaskaJeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2019, 08:13 PM   #79
wiredgeorge

Interesting article on cost of RV registration across the country. Cheapest (according to this source):

#1 Montana #Texas
2006 GL1800 Roadsmith Trike
wiredgeorge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2019, 09:09 AM   #80
CT Wanderer

In CT registration for my trailer is around $25/yr. Annual taxes is $768 this year. TV registration is $150/yr and taxes are $1075 this year. Total to stay on the road is $2018 without moving out of my driveway. I try not to think about it and just figure it is what it is.
CT Wanderer is offline   Reply With Quote