Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Toy Haulers
Click Here to Login

Old 05-19-2019, 03:17 PM   #1
denren

Double tow with a bumper pull TH

Anyone double tow with their TH
denren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2019, 03:33 PM   #2
notanlines

Start here and go from there:
https://rv-roadtrips.thefuntimesguid...triple_towing/
http://www.trucktrend.com/features/t...ions-in-canada
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3408.jpg
Views:	274
Size:	240.9 KB
ID:	21876  
2021 40' Jayco Eagle
2001 Road king w/matching Harley sidecar
2021 Yamaha X2 Wolverine 1000
notanlines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2019, 03:33 PM   #3
roadglide

I seen it done with a big fusion and 14 ft in closed trailer at quartzsite with 2500 duramax .
2018 Milwaukee 8 FLRTU roadglide glide ultra
2018 800 Z force spot BUGGY.
500 watts of solar enough power for boon docking.
roadglide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2019, 03:55 PM   #4
Big Boy w/ Big Toys

Quote:
Originally Posted by notanlines View Post
Do not take that link as a good reference....it's only legal in Alaska if your tow vehicle is over 15k and has air brakes for the TV and the trailers. Many many folks get NAILED coming to Alaska pulling doubles and the state you are coming from does not make a difference.

I looked thru some of the references from that link and even they are not accurate....link states Alaska requires brakes at 3k and above. Link from article says 5k and above. Correct answer is 3k and above requires brakes.

Somebody really needs to write out the correct information for all of the States and Providences when it comes to this stuff. Article must also include licensing requirements. Heck lets make it a book and sell it to fund the forum. I love/hate the web when it comes to information...

Don't take a gamble on what you find on the web. Go directly to the state laws and or the troopers and ask. Tickets suck, impounds cost and peace of mind is priceless.
Big Boy w/ Big Toys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2019, 04:17 PM   #5
denren

Thanks

Been researching get a lot of opposing info thanks for replys
Old 05-20-2019, 04:21 AM   #6
JRTJH
Site Team

Double trailer towing with fifth wheels and double trailer towing with "bumper hitch" travel trailers are two entirely different types of towing. Many states west of the "east coast" allow towing two trailers with a fifth wheel. Only a few states, typically in the "Rocky Mountain states" allow towing with a travel trailer. We saw several in Montana and Idaho on our last trip.

I'd suggest you contact the states in which you plan to tow to get the "real story" and not rely on some "not regularly updated" internet site as a source of reliable information.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	tripletowing.jpg
Views:	247
Size:	197.5 KB
ID:	21877   Click image for larger version

Name:	tripletowing1.jpg
Views:	213
Size:	201.7 KB
ID:	21878   Click image for larger version

Name:	tripletowing2.jpg
Views:	206
Size:	197.2 KB
ID:	21879  

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2019, 04:12 PM   #7
Theoldroaddog

Most states will require a license upgrade to a class A commercial or non commercial with endorsement for double trailers. Check the requirements for your state.
Theoldroaddog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2019, 04:18 PM   #8
notanlines

Road dog, I think Michigan does, anybody else you know of?
Old 05-21-2019, 04:25 PM   #9
Theoldroaddog

I live is Ca and they require the class A with enforcement and all axles shall have brakes.
Theoldroaddog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2019, 04:59 PM   #10
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Theoldroaddog View Post
Most states will require a license upgrade to a class A commercial or non commercial with endorsement for double trailers. Check the requirements for your state.
Quote:
Originally Posted by notanlines View Post
Road dog, I think Michigan does, anybody else you know of?
Michigan requires an endorsement. It's a "knowledge test only" and after successfully passing the test, pay your money for a new license and they'll add the endorsement. With the endorsement, you can tow a trailer behind a fifth wheel, total combined length of tow vehicle, fifth wheel and additional trailer is a maximum of 75'. There is a "wonkey requirement" with the second trailer safety chains. They must be crossed under the tongue AND secured to the extreme outer edge of the fifth wheel. In other words, the safety chains must be secured to the outside edge of the "towing fifth wheel" not to the receiver centerline.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
Old 05-21-2019, 05:39 PM   #11
notanlines

Quote:
Originally Posted by Theoldroaddog View Post
I live is Ca and they require the class A with enforcement and all axles shall have brakes.
I don't believe triple towing is an entirely common activity in California.
"Brakes
All trailers exceeding 1,500 lbs. must have their own brakes. Any vehicle towing a trailer weighing more than 1,500 lbs. must be fitted such that the brake system can be connected appropriately."

Not many utility trailers hauling toys have brakes. Just hard to comply with that.
2021 40' Jayco Eagle
2001 Road king w/matching Harley sidecar
2021 Yamaha X2 Wolverine 1000
Old 05-21-2019, 06:05 PM   #12
JRTJH
Site Team

Jim,

We just returned from a 6000 mile trip that found us in Las Vegas for 2 weeks. We did make a trip (without the fifth wheel) to Edwards AFB, in Lancaster, CA. I wouldn't have even considered towing the Cougar and the Slingshot beyond the Nevada state line. While California does provide for towing two trailers, some of the "agenda items" they tack onto the requirements make it difficult to tow a rig that's legal in most states west of the eastern seaboard into California without violating some form of "their requirements"... So, for us, we just took the Slingshot for an overnight trip to visit NASA and some of my old co-workers from the skunk works in Palmdale.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
Old 05-22-2019, 05:26 AM   #13
Laredo Tugger

Double pull with a bumper pull TH?
Why do you need to double pull with any TH,isn't that the reason you bought a "toy hauler"?
Something doesn't add up here.
RMc
Laredo Tugger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2019, 05:42 AM   #14
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laredo Tugger View Post
Double pull with a bumper pull TH?
Why do you need to double pull with any TH,isn't that the reason you bought a "toy hauler"?
Something doesn't add up here.
RMc
Maybe one reason would be, "Buy a bumper pull TH when the kids are 3, 5 years later, they're 8 and want their own ATV or dirt bike?" Another might be: "we are a big family and the garage isn't big enough for one toy for each of us." Another might be: "We like to ride on dirt and water, but lifting jet skis out of the toy hauler is difficult, so we put the dirt bikes and ATV's in the TH and tow the jet ski's behind the TH.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
Old 05-22-2019, 05:48 AM   #15
denren

Wanting to pull a boat and take the quads?
Old 05-22-2019, 06:26 AM   #16
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by denren View Post
Wanting to pull a boat and take the quads?
That's not much different than wanting 3 TV's, a "home quality stereo, satellite reception and "Amazon Fire TV" while "dry camping"... I see that and multiple toys all the time during the summer "jet ski season". There are two state forest campgrounds on a lake about a mile from our house. There are ATV's in the garage and jet skis on a trailer behind the TH on most weekends. So, yup, it's a common occurrence around here. In fact, I've seen people unhitch the boat, unload the UTV/ATV and use that to tow the boat to the ramp and launch it.

ADDED: There's one family (I think about 8 or 9 kids) that come up every summer for the past 10 years. They set up an "outdoor theater" complete with a popcorn cart (powered by their generator) and have "outdoor movies every night" at the campground. The kids started out with battery powered toy cars, moved through "kid sized ATV's" and are now sitting on their ATV's while watching "home movies" on the inflatable screen with mom and dad every night. They're the "focal point" of the campground while they're "dry camping". I'd guess, some nights, there's 30 or 40 people watching movies and eating popcorn. They fill the TH with ATV's and tow 4 jet skis on a trailer behind the TH.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
Old 05-22-2019, 06:32 AM   #17
Laredo Tugger

I guess it comes down to decisions. You'll have to decide what you are capable of loading into and towing safely behind the box you are pulling down the highway. And by the responses in this thread it appears that decision has been made for you by way of various state government regulations.
It is called a "toy hauler". Have yet to see a "toy's hauler" on the RV sales lot.
"You can't take it with you when you go" comes to mind here. Knowing that statement has a different application in mind, you are left with the option in this matter of getting a 53 ft. tractor-trailer rig,create living space inside and load up the above mentioned items.
RMc
Old 05-22-2019, 06:51 AM   #18
Laredo Tugger

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRTJH View Post
That's not much different than wanting 3 TV's, a "home quality stereo, satellite reception and "Amazon Fire TV" while "dry camping"... I see that and multiple toys all the time during the summer "jet ski season". There are two state forest campgrounds on a lake about a mile from our house. There are ATV's in the garage and jet skis on a trailer behind the TH on most weekends. So, yup, it's a common occurrence around here. In fact, I've seen people unhitch the boat, unload the UTV/ATV and use that to tow the boat to the ramp and launch it.

ADDED: There's one family (I think about 8 or 9 kids) that come up every summer for the past 10 years. They set up an "outdoor theater" complete with a popcorn cart (powered by their generator) and have "outdoor movies every night" at the campground. The kids started out with battery powered toy cars, moved through "kid sized ATV's" and are now sitting on their ATV's while watching "home movies" on the inflatable screen with mom and dad every night. They're the "focal point" of the campground while they're "dry camping". I'd guess, some nights, there's 30 or 40 people watching movies and eating popcorn. They fill the TH with ATV's and tow 4 jet skis on a trailer behind the TH.
Hey if it's legal for these folks then good for them. If they can get the "inventory" on site and enjoy it then the overall objective has been met.
I have no problem with this. I guess the engineers in Elkhart better start penciling out the next generation of tow-able RV, the "multiple toy hauler".
Curious to see what that will look like.
RMc
Old 05-22-2019, 08:27 AM   #19
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laredo Tugger View Post
Hey if it's legal for these folks then good for them. If they can get the "inventory" on site and enjoy it then the overall objective has been met.
I have no problem with this. I guess the engineers in Elkhart better start penciling out the next generation of tow-able RV, the "multiple toy hauler".
Curious to see what that will look like.
RMc
I agree !!! This thread has turned into a "criticism" of what some people want to do to enjoy their time away and use their RV. We've got posts suggesting "I can't believe people would want to ride ATV's and use a boat on the same trip"... To me, that's no different than someone wanting to put an extensive solar system on their RV, back that up with a generator for cloudy days and sit "inside their RV to watch TV and listen to their stereo" while dry camping.... One could say, "Why leave home if that's your objective".... So I suppose it's fitting to say, "Why would you want to tow two or three different types of "toys" to a recreational site?????

It's all about, "do what makes you happy" rather than, "I can't imagine doing that".....

I've watched the "evolution of RVing" go from "dig a small pit to empty your toilet waste and cover it with plywood so you won't step in it" (Airstream owner's manual from the 50's and 60's) to "how much garage space do we need for all our toys".....

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
Old 05-26-2019, 08:00 AM   #20
BadmanRick

Most states do not allow double pull so check with the states you will be traveling in to see if it’s allowed.
BadmanRick is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
tow