Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Community Forums > Full-timers & Snowbirds
Click Here to Login

Old 02-24-2019, 10:42 PM   #1
AmandaDavenport

Hot water tank

We are new to travel trailers AND are going to be full timers.

We moved into the travel trailer 2 days ago and can’t figure out the hot water. The switch in the hot water panel is on, the tank is full, the switch on the inside panel is on, but we have NO hot water.

I have been trying to google but having no luck finding the unit we have.
AmandaDavenport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2019, 11:11 PM   #2
Alpine

When you say "the tank is full" are you referring to the hot water tank or the propane tank? Have you check to assure the propane tank(s) are turned to the "open" position. When out side by the water heater access door do you hear the burner noise and see a flame...when the door is open? Are you getting propane to the stove/oven?

There is also a winterization valve that may need to be turned to the... lack of better word.... regular position. Not being familiar with your model, it could be right by the water heater itself or in the outside compartment with the other water features usually called the "convenience center."

Others should be along shortly with other suggestions.

Jeff & Jan - Retired & Full-timing since 2013
2019 Ram Big Horn 3500 Aisin 4x4
2012 Alpine 3450-RL
Double Coin 235/75R-17.5/16 J rated 125lb
Alpine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2019, 11:17 PM   #3
AmandaDavenport

When I said it’s full I was referring to the hot water tank, I watched a couple YouTube videos and they showed pushing a lever to see if water squirts out.

The propane is full, the stove gets propane although it such a tiny flame took 1.5hours to cook chicken strips and took almost 45 mins to bring water to a boil and that’s on high.

I will listen by the water tank tomorrow, I had surgery the day we moved in and I haven’t been able to get outside to look myself, just pictures my husband and kid takes for me ����*♀️.
Old 02-25-2019, 02:18 AM   #4
14george

If your on electric check if breaker is on, outside take panel off for hot water tank off depends on what kind of tank you have there is a switch that could be off it will be hard to see hope this helps
Old 02-25-2019, 05:06 AM   #5
HitFactor
Gone Traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by AmandaDavenport View Post

...The propane is full, the stove gets propane although it such a tiny flame took 1.5hours to cook chicken strips and took almost 45 mins to bring water to a boil and that’s on high...
This sounds like the problem. Check your propane connections for leaks (soapy water), verify propane tank is really full (weigh tank), it may have leaked to empty. Check regulator (swap with another).
HitFactor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2019, 05:48 AM   #6
AmandaDavenport

Quote:
Originally Posted by 14george View Post
If your on electric check if breaker is on, outside take panel off for hot water tank off depends on what kind of tank you have there is a switch that could be off it will be hard to see hope this helps
The switch that is inside the water panel in on, I also have the gas option on. Still nothing has produced hot water.
Old 02-25-2019, 05:50 AM   #7
AmandaDavenport

Quote:
Originally Posted by HitFactor View Post
This sounds like the problem. Check your propane connections for leaks (soapy water), verify propane tank is really full (weigh tank), it may have leaked to empty. Check regulator (swap with another).

My husband just cooked breakfast and the stove is working better now, not sure of the lp just took along time to go through the lines. But the lp is full as it was just filled yesterday and no leaks.
Old 02-25-2019, 06:20 AM   #8
HitFactor
Gone Traveling

Quote:
My husband just cooked breakfast and the stove is working better now, not sure of the lp just took along time to go through the lines. But the lp is full as it was just filled yesterday and no leaks.
If the water heater wasn't getting fuel it would eventually stop trying to ignite.

Turn off heater, wait a bit, turn back on. Hopefully it will start.

On my grill, I sometimes need to turn gas off, then back on (close, open valve). I think the regulator gets stuck.
Old 02-25-2019, 06:34 AM   #9
Steveo57

As someone above-mentioned have you checked the valves for the water heater and made sure it is not lined up for winterizing.
Old 02-25-2019, 06:54 AM   #10
AmandaDavenport

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steveo57 View Post
As someone above-mentioned have you checked the valves for the water heater and made sure it is not lined up for winterizing.
I have absolutely no clue how to do that so I will have to Google that later. But google hasn’t been my friend lately googling travel trailer things.
Old 02-25-2019, 07:28 AM   #11
Steveo57

Quote:
I have absolutely no clue how to do that so I will have to Google that later. But google hasn’t been my friend lately googling travel trailer things.
The valves are most likely behind the water heater. So just find the access to get behind the water heater. You'll see the valves that will look like one of these pictures.

If there's three valves you want to make sure the ones on the inlet and outlet are open and the bypass is closed like in the picture.

If there's only one valve with the little handle just make sure the handle is in line with the pipe going to the heater.Click image for larger version

Name:	img_120107_1_4c1da2b5b2b4f1d21be1ebff9800c5df.jpeg
Views:	437
Size:	25.9 KB
ID:	20462Click image for larger version

Name:	water-heater-bypass-in-progress-1.jpeg
Views:	441
Size:	27.2 KB
ID:	20463
Old 02-25-2019, 08:54 AM   #12
SummitPond

Does the furnace work?

There has been a great deal of forum discussion recently on propane "issues" when the temperatures are low. What is the outside temperature where you are at? Your comment on the small flame for the stove may indicate insufficient pressure of your LP due to ambient temperatures.

And by the way, welcome to the forum!

Now: 2019 Winnebago 2500FL w/e2 WDH;Sold: 2015 Bullet Premier 19FBPR (shown)
2012 Ford F-250 Lariat Super Duty Crew Cab (gas 6.2 L, 3.73 gear ratio 2WD, 172" WB)
SummitPond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2019, 09:04 AM   #13
AmandaDavenport

Quote:
Originally Posted by SummitPond View Post
Does the furnace work?

There has been a great deal of forum discussion recently on propane "issues" when the temperatures are low. What is the outside temperature where you are at? Your comment on the small flame for the stove may indicate insufficient pressure of your LP due to ambient temperatures.

And by the way, welcome to the forum!
It’s 30-40’s.

I think it just took awhile for the propane to go through the lines as this morning when my husband cooked the flame was a normal flame now.

I have been trying to go through the forums, but get so confused, just has surgery so on some heavy pain meds and my husband isn’t tech savvy to try to explain to him how to maneuver forums. Lol.
Old 02-25-2019, 09:05 AM   #14
AmandaDavenport

Quote:
The valves are most likely behind the water heater. So just find the access to get behind the water heater. You'll see the valves that will look like one of these pictures.

If there's three valves you want to make sure the ones on the inlet and outlet are open and the bypass is closed like in the picture.

If there's only one valve with the little handle just make sure the handle is in line with the pipe going to the heater.Attachment 20462Attachment 20463

Thank you, I will be having my husband help me outside when he gets back. Just had surgery and on heavy meds. It’s easier if I go look so I know for sure. Lol. Thank you.
Old 02-25-2019, 09:07 AM   #15
Steveo57

Quote:
Thank you, I will be having my husband help me outside when he gets back. Just had surgery and on heavy meds. It’s easier if I go look so I know for sure. Lol. Thank you.
The access to the valves will be on the inside of the trailer right behind the water heater.
Old 02-25-2019, 08:46 PM   #16
Old Mustanger

Quote:
The access to the valves will be on the inside of the trailer right behind the water heater.
Not necessarily... my hot water valve is in the outside convenience center
2019 Ford F350 SRW
Old Mustanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2019, 08:51 PM   #17
AmandaDavenport

I totally got the hot water working today, I’m so greatful for everyone’s help. I shut the pump and the switch off that is inside the trailer that is by the tanks monitor thingy, left it off for 5 hours then turned on for 2 hours without turning any water on and magically there was hot water. Some how the furnace started working at the same time. I think I have all the kinks out other then the internet and cable issues. lol.
Old 02-26-2019, 02:05 AM   #18
notanlines

Good on ya, Amanda. At least after surgery you can have a nice, hot shower even if you can't surf the 'net. Welcome to the forum. Lots of good info and people here to help you out.
2021 40' Jayco Eagle
2001 Road king w/matching Harley sidecar
2021 Yamaha X2 Wolverine 1000
notanlines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2019, 07:17 AM   #19
AmandaDavenport

Quote:
Originally Posted by notanlines View Post
Good on ya, Amanda. At least after surgery you can have a nice, hot shower even if you can't surf the 'net. Welcome to the forum. Lots of good info and people here to help you out.
Thanks, yes even if the hot water only lasted 3 mins. Lol.
Old 02-26-2019, 07:22 AM   #20
HitFactor
Gone Traveling

You probably have a 6 gallon water heater.

Hot is a relative term, for me it means not cold in my TT.

Tags
tank, water