Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Towing
Click Here to Login

Old 04-28-2018, 07:04 AM   #1
lesleyinky

What age did you begin towing?

Just curious....DH has mentioned he would like to start training our oldest son to tow a TT. A little more specifics is that he’s about to turn twenty and has some experience with small utility trailers with his part-time college job. The eventual goal is that he’d be able to haul his grandparent’s trailer for them about 25 miles away to their favorite weekend campground.

Normally when we camp with my parents, DH tows our own TT to this particular CG and then comes back and gets my parent’s 29’ TT (their health isn’t up to par for towing anymore). When trip is over that means two hauling trips for DH as well. He doesn’t mind much, but down the road when our son can help out it sure will be nice! Of course we’d tow them at the same time and he wouldn’t be left on his on for backing in and setting up.

We won’t rush anything as DH is the most cautious man I️ know. I️ was just curious if anyone else started hauling trailers comfortably at a young age?
lesleyinky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2018, 07:09 AM   #2
chuckster57
Site Team

I was 16 when my dad put me behind the wheel of a ‘72 Dodge 100. 318, 4 speed manual. Towed a ‘69 Ideal (19’) through Santa Cruz mountains. “Trial by fire” if you know highway 17.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2018, 07:25 AM   #3
lesleyinky

What age did you begin towing?

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckster57 View Post
I was 16 when my dad put me behind the wheel of a ‘72 Dodge 100. 318, 4 speed manual. Towed a ‘69 Ideal (19’) through Santa Cruz mountains. “Trial by fire” if you know highway 17.

Ha!! Yes, I️ know just what you mean by the trial by fire, lol. I expected there would be several of you that reassured me by saying you were young as well.

He’s a very capable, level-headed kid, but gosh darn it there is something to be said for experience. Unfortunately, the only way to get that for our kids is to give it to them.

Thanks ; )
Old 04-28-2018, 07:30 AM   #4
Hodgy

I started towing when I was 10. It was a John Deere "D" with a 14 foot cultivator. 12 hours a day on the summer fallow of Saskatchewan.

2016 Bullet 1800RB, UVW 3260, led by a 2005 Chev Silverado Z-71 1500, Crew Cab, 5.3L, 4WD, Tow & Off Road Package with 4.10 Rear Axle, GVR 7000 lbs, Front GWAR 3925 lbs & Rear GWAR 4000 lbs., Payload 1600 lbs., Hellwig 6012 Air Bags. 97' Honda Goldwing GL1500.
Home Base is the Alberta Foothills at 4300 ' ASL.
Hodgy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2018, 07:40 AM   #5
Canonman

Not to be inappropriate, or out of line in any way, but is there some reason you don't tow? Different question, I know, just curious.
My DW has said she has no desire to tow our Cougar and I can live with that. Even got additional insurance to cover having the outfit towed in case I became somehow incapacitated. Not everyone is comfortable with the added responsibility towing encompases.
For me, I started regularly towing our boat from Vegas to Lake Mead at 16. Dad never could figure out backing and I was the de facto driver since learning how to help my grand dad back equipment on the farm.
I agree with your husband. Everyone should have a backup driver just in case something happens and you need to get the rig home.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5251 - Version 2.jpg
Views:	188
Size:	1.19 MB
ID:	16195  
I think the little voices in my head have started a chat group.
Canonman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2018, 07:50 AM   #6
lesleyinky

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canonman View Post
Not to be inappropriate, or out of line in any way, but is there some reason you don't tow? Different question, I know, just curious.

My DW has said she has no desire to tow our Cougar and I can live with that. Even got additional insurance to cover having the outfit towed in case I became somehow incapacitated. Not everyone is comfortable with the added responsibility towing encompases.

For me, I started regularly towing our boat from Vegas to Lake Mead at 16. Dad never could figure out backing and I was the de facto driver since learning how to help my grand dad back equipment on the farm.

I agree with your husband. Everyone should have a backup driver just in case something happens and you need to get the rig home.

Thank you for your input and it’s a great question! Honestly, I’m not comfortable with it partly, but also this CG is on a lake and many times I️ tow our boat. All in all though I️ admit, I’m a bit of a chicken to even consider towing something that large. I️ admire the women that do it though!
Old 04-28-2018, 07:54 AM   #7
ctbruce
Site Team | Emeritus

A true man skill every man should have is both towing and backing a trailer. Its I. The book! I didn't learn how until in my 50s. I knew how to, just never had. I'm now teaching my son. It's never too early, given a big enough parking lot.

Chip Bruce, RPh
Kansas City, MO
2016 Impact 312
2017 Silverado 3500HD SRW
ctbruce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2018, 08:10 AM   #8
travelin texans

As soon as he got his license would've been a good time to start, if not sooner.
I was about 10 or 12 in my granddads '49 International 1 ton 4 speed & a steering as big around as the tires.
In my opinion these new vehicles that back trailers for you is a HUGE mistake, looks like an accident waiting to happen. If you don't want to learn to back it up don't get a trailer.
Replacement undetermined
travelin texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2018, 08:23 AM   #9
CaptnJohn

At 8 I was the smallest so pieces of 2x4 and electric tape on tractor pedals. The hay bales weighed more than me so I drove while the bigger guys did the lifting. At 15 I was towing my boat to the lake. At 16 I had a popup and at 20 a TT. What are you waiting on?

2022.Montana 3855 BR
2019 F350 6.7 4X4 DRW
CaptnJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2018, 08:25 AM   #10
Ken / Claudia

I was 15 with a driver permit. Dad told me to drive back from deer hunting. I drove 1/3 way across Oregon in 1973?. Land Cruiser pulling a pop up trailer. Around a curve and than straight away had several deer standing across the highway, with heads down smelling? the road. I was around 50 mph and braked hard as trailer started to fishtail. Dad yelled to get off the brakes and hit the deer. They stepped and I drove near them without hitting any. Back then the timber was near the road shoulders and the highway was 2 lane without shoulders. I learned how to back up later.
Towing is not real difficult, you must use mirrors a lot, learn how to make wider turns to be to keep trailer off a sidewalk. Do not tailgate. Backing takes practice and help.
As of 05-2020, I am all done with 39 years total police work. No more uniforms for me.
Ken / Claudia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2018, 08:35 AM   #11
lesleyinky

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptnJohn View Post
At 8 I was the smallest so pieces of 2x4 and electric tape on tractor pedals. The hay bales weighed more than me so I drove while the bigger guys did the lifting. At 15 I was towing my boat to the lake. At 16 I had a popup and at 20 a TT. What are you waiting on?

Wow. Just wow. That’s impressive!

You can tell that my question came from the “Mama” in me talking [emoji23] Guess I️ should relax a little🤣
Old 04-28-2018, 08:48 AM   #12
sourdough
Site Team

I began "towing" when I was about 12 or so on a farm pulling all kinds of various farm equipment; plowing, disking, large shredders,etc. Used the pickup to pull cotton trailers; as many as 3 or so tandem (that was a holy cow kind of thing for a 14 year old). From there it was pop ups, boats until about 20. Bought my first TT at 24. So, your son is plenty old enough to "tow"; he just needs to get the experience and guidance to get him up to speed.
sourdough is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2018, 08:56 AM   #13
madmaxmutt

Towing at 19. Licensed for a bus at 18. I made the mistake of answering when the drill sergeant asked who had a drivers license.
madmaxmutt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2018, 09:26 AM   #14
JRTJH
Site Team

About the only thing I'd ever towed (other than farm equipment) was a small boat trailer before joining the Air Force. After basic and tech school I was assigned to Perrin AFB, TX. My first job in the missile shop was "flight line delivery". I had a Coleman tug with 6 missile trailers behind it. No way to back that rig, so you'd better know where to start and end every turn. Planning the "escape route" at the end of the aircraft parking ramp became a "no brainer". Next was towing 5 million dollar jets around the flightline with a wing-walker to make sure nothing got "clipped".

So, when we returned from Turkey and bought our first travel trailer, even though it was a new experience, it wasn't anything "new". Our first trip, from the Airstream dealer in Cerritos, CA was at 5PM up Interstate 5 to the Lancaster/Palmdale exit. Towing 26' of "shiny aluminum tube" on that freeway during rush hour was, without a doubt, a "thrilling first tow" for this "noobie". I was 22 at the time and was "too inexperienced to know I should have been afraid of what I was doing".....

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2018, 11:27 AM   #15
xrated

My Dad had a small (15') semi-V boat and trailer and he would let me drive a bit when we got on some of the backroads. One morning, when we arrived at the lake, he asked if I wanted to try my hand at backing the boat in the water (looking back, he was pretty brave to offer that). Now, the description of the boat launch. This was a power plant lake and the road was about an 1/8 mile long with no turn-a-round at the bottom. So, the boat and car had to be backed down the entire 1/8 mile.....and it was on lane dirt/gravel/blacktop. He told me to take it very slow and KEEP my foot on the brake and to not touch the gas pedal. I ended up having to stop and pull up several times to get things straightened out, but I did it.......and didn't put the car in the lake either! That was the start. After I got my license at 16, he would let me drive, towing the boat and putting it in the water while he helped get it off the trailer, then I'd pull up and park the car/trailer and we'd go fishin'. A few years later I bought a motorcycle trailer and towed my drag bike to the racetrack every Wed. and Sat. night....so basically I've been towing since I was 15/16 years old. My current trailer is the biggest one I've ever towed though.... 34 1/2' tow behind Toy Hauler.
Excessive payload capacity is a wonderful thing

"If it ain't Fast....It ain't Fun"
xrated is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2018, 11:59 AM   #16
440justin

I got to drive at times on family vacation after I turned 16. Back then it was towing a small pop-up camper. Then in college I joined the schools solar car team and learn to drive the crew cab dually with 25' enclosured trailer. I also picked up my CDL and drove semi some in college. Teach him early, good life skill to have and better for him to be tough under some supervision than on his own.
Old 04-28-2018, 02:29 PM   #17
notanlines

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hodgy View Post

I started towing when I was 10. It was a John Deere "D" with a 14 foot cultivator. 12 hours a day on the summer fallow of Saskatchewan.

Hodgy, in looking back wouldn't you say you are a better man for it? I'm betting the answer is "yes."

Cannonman, my DW would say the exact thing you bring to this discussion. We under no circumstances subscribe to the notion that towing is for men only.
2021 40' Jayco Eagle
2001 Road king w/matching Harley sidecar
2021 Yamaha X2 Wolverine 1000
notanlines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2018, 05:25 PM   #18
Mikendebbie

Started towing at 16

At age 16 I pulled our 66 Holiday Travler with our olive green 69 Pontiac Catalina station wagon. Learned to drive when I was 10. My dad would let me drive the country roads out to grandmas house.
In the sticks near Austin TX
Aussie Gus+Texas Heeler Jimmy
Mikendebbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2018, 06:03 PM   #19
ken56

I was 55, a late bloomer I guess..lol. Didn't get a travel trailer until we both had retired and owned our own time. I will admit that I was apprehensive having never towed anything before in my life. Piece of cake. Backing up, no problem after a little bit of experience. Quit being over protective and let the young man tow the trailer as long as you think he is responsible and mature enough to be serious about being safe on the road.
ken56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2018, 02:34 AM   #20
tech740

I started with a 20 foot flat bed trailer when I was 16. Moved to a 32 foot TT at 26, and now a 37 foot fiver. I am 34. My oldest son will be 15 in June and just got his learner's permit. I plan to start him on the fiver next month. Just going down the road straight in the country and some slow corners to get used to it. My wife has no desire to learn a trailer of this size so I look forward to him learning the basics and being a relief driver for me. The younger they start the more experience they learn before they are set in bad habits. With driving that is. Teenage years are the hardest.

2019 Ram 3500 6.7 HO, Aisin Trans 3:73
Reese Goosebox
2019 Sandpiper 379FLOK
tech740 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
tow, towing