Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Travel Trailers
Click Here to Login

Old 10-02-2018, 03:34 PM   #21
Flynntom

Closets Harbor Frright is 55 miles away ...
Seems like I should make a trip to check this one out
Thanks
Flynntom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2018, 07:43 AM   #22
GrumpyG

I've been tickled with my Champion 3100. I didn't get the dual fuel model, but I did get electric start with remote. That right there is priceless.

GrumpyG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2018, 10:48 AM   #23
rinaldij

No one has mentioned the Westinghouse Igen 2200 or 2500's. I have two 2200's I run in parallel for AC as required. An expanded fuel tank gives worry free running all night. Quiet ~53 db. Oil change every 20 or so hours. Easily done with a hand pump.
rinaldij is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2018, 11:17 AM   #24
sourdough
Site Team

Energizer Generators?

Has anyone ever heard of the Energizer generators?? I know they make batteries but I saw an add in the last issue of Trailer Life (I think) for them but had never heard of them. Looked at their website and looks like they may be made by Midland power or electronics? Midland used to make CBs and other electronic stuff as I recall but never a generator.

https://energizergenerators.com/ezv3200p.html
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2018, 11:30 AM   #25
Brian PA

I just purchased the Champion Power Equipment 3500W / 4375W Dual-Fuel Generator from Sam's Club $299.00.
Works great.

Will only use on propane, only use on power outage.

Brian

Brian PA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2018, 11:36 AM   #26
Jacketsbum

I'm a fan of you get what you pay for. Usually stuff made in China is junk. There are exceptions and I've bought HF stuff and found that anything electronic or gas powered, you're taking a chance. I'll pay a little more and get American made. Champion and Generac are among those.
Jacketsbum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2018, 02:41 PM   #27
homer3

sounds like there is quite a variety of both generators and opinions on this subject. I don't usually stay where I'm in need of a generator. It has been on my mind though and every now and then I window shop. It seems as though at least in this string, more and more people are getting away from Honda's. I guess it a price thing. I've looked at Champion and just recently spoke to a friend that bought a Predator from local HF. In reading this string it seems that a lot of you are steering towards HF. They all seem comparable. Does anyone know if there are all comparison in weight. My back is already riddle with issues and I'm not getting any younger.

John
Now Retired (At Last) Long Time Coming
Soon to be retired after 41 years with DOD
2006 Duramax Silverado 2500HD
2013 327 RES Cougar
homer3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2018, 03:20 PM   #28
RobSwaney

yamaha

so I have had a champion generator my brother in law also had a champion about 6 years ago I went to a yamaha 3300i after 1 day my brother in law went and bought one as well. My cousin had a Honda so comparing them again this year another person had a new champion the difference between brand new champion and 6 year old yamaha and honda was so noticable. the champion was easily 4 or 5 times louder. imo you are better to spend the extra money and buy a Yamaha or Honda off the bat.
RobSwaney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2018, 03:22 PM   #29
KeithInUpstateNY

Quote:
Originally Posted by homer3 View Post
sounds like there is quite a variety of both generators and opinions on this subject. I don't usually stay where I'm in need of a generator. It has been on my mind though and every now and then I window shop. It seems as though at least in this string, more and more people are getting away from Honda's. I guess it a price thing. I've looked at Champion and just recently spoke to a friend that bought a Predator from local HF. In reading this string it seems that a lot of you are steering towards HF. They all seem comparable. Does anyone know if there are all comparison in weight. My back is already riddle with issues and I'm not getting any younger.
You're right, there are a lot of varied opinions/experiences. It's one of the things that makes a forum like this valuable. It helps to make an informed decision knowing your own needs.

As to the weight, inverter generators tend to be lighter than open frame generators of the same power class. The weight increases with the power class. A 2000 watt class inverter generator typically weighs in between 45 and 60 pounds. It is a single 15 amp circuit, so if you are careful it will run everything in your camper EXCEPT the air conditioning. It can run the microwave OR the electric element in your water heater, but not both at the same time. One way to have more power and keep the weight manageable is to buy two smaller units that can be run in parallel, as some of the previous posters have mentioned. For example, two Honda EU2000i generators run in parallel will supply enough power for a 30 amp service, but you only have to lift about 45 pounds at a time, compared to 145 pounds for the Honda EU3000is.

2015 Bullet 220RBI
2019 Chevy Colorado extended cab V6 3.6 liter
KeithInUpstateNY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2018, 02:34 AM   #30
Sunnysidebeach

We own the Honda EU3000iS.. What a remarkable generator.

Last year when tropical weather took out electric out for 8 days. This Honda saved the say running 8 hour days shift and then 10-11 hour night shift, without a hiccup. Used about 3 gallons at night and 3 gallons for day shift. (A/C runs more in daytime).

Since then I keep the Honda in the basement, and bring it out ever 3 months to run with a 2000 watt draw for 30 minutes. Starts right up, just like you would expect a Honda too.
Sunnysidebeach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2018, 07:29 AM   #31
Moneyslinger

Just picked up the Chapmion 3400/3100 continuous a few weeks back and did weekend trip and it was great running my A/C in my 30amp trailer and all...can stand right next to it and easily have a conversation. Auto start and dual fuel out of the box. About $950
Moneyslinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2018, 08:45 AM   #32
Gizmo2

I bought a Predator 3500 to go with my travel trailer. After about 8 hrs of use the spark plug fouled making it run rough. Per this forum, I replaced it with a Champion version that solved the problem.

A few weeks later after traveling from Florida to Colorado I went to use it and it would not start. It was still within the 90 day money back window so I drove the 20 miles to Harbor Freight and gave it back to them.

I've decided to get a portable 100 watt solar panel which should meet my limited boon docking needs without maintaining and lugging a 100 lb generator and gas can around.
Gizmo2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2018, 02:49 PM   #33
Flynntom

Thanks... good to know. How does the Solar panel work for you? Which brand did you purchase?
Flynntom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2018, 04:28 PM   #34
C.LeeNick

My wife works at a big box store and can get a discount, and I looked at their website today and saw a Generac GP3500io inverter generator.

http://www.generac.com/all-products/...eries/gp3500io

Seems priced right at $699, and I'm going on Generac's reputation for good stuff, although this one is made in China.

One drawback is Generac won't publish a DB level....their excuse being "There is no industry standard for noise levels". Sounds a bit hokey..but still, Generac reputation and all.

Anyone had any experience with one?

Thanks!
C.LeeNick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2018, 05:47 PM   #35
JRTJH
Site Team

The Generac 3500IO is an "open frame" inverter generator. That means it lacks the sound absorbing panels that make up the "suitcase" for most of the inverter generators used in RVing. It will, by the nature of being an inverter generator, make less noise than a conventional 3600RPM construction generator because it will run slower (less noise) when the demand is less than maximum output. How much quieter? That is what Generac won't tell you.

You might do a Google Search for "Generac 3500IO reviews" and see what other people think about it after they bought it.

As for pricing, it's available several places for $699 so that's not a "bargain price"...

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2018, 06:50 PM   #36
C.LeeNick

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRTJH View Post
The Generac 3500IO is an "open frame" inverter generator. That means it lacks the sound absorbing panels that make up the "suitcase" for most of the inverter generators used in RVing. It will, by the nature of being an inverter generator, make less noise than a conventional 3600RPM construction generator because it will run slower (less noise) when the demand is less than maximum output. How much quieter? That is what Generac won't tell you.

You might do a Google Search for "Generac 3500IO reviews" and see what other people think about it after they bought it.

As for pricing, it's available several places for $699 so that's not a "bargain price"...

Thank you for the reply! Apparently this particular Generac is a new model for this year. I found one YouTube review where some fellows ran a couple of 1500 watt heaters off it and it did fine. Didn't seem loud in the video, but that's tough to judge what it would sound like in real life. The Generac is several pounds less than other models with similar, or even less, output. That's a plus.

For an inverter generator with that kind of output, the price seems right. The "bargain" price comes in with my wife's employee discount.

I'm also looking at the dual fuel Champions. I have two standard open frame Champion generators already. One 3500 watt open frame model I've had for over 10 years now. We use it with our old Class C motorhome, and it's worked great. Runs the AC no problem, but it's pretty loud under load. It's worked so well that we bought a smaller Champion unit as backup for our off the grid backcountry vacation place..I think it's a 1200-1400 watt or so. Don't remember. It's been great so far too. Both generators sit unused a lot, but I've never had issues starting them, even when they'd sat so long that I thought I might.

Plus, Champion publishes the DB's for their units. Odd that Generac won't. That's a BIG downside for the Generac.
C.LeeNick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2018, 07:22 PM   #37
KeithInUpstateNY

Although Generac doesn't provide decibel data, if you Google "Generac generator decibels" there are a number of videos on YouTube where people have done measurements and side by side comparisons. I found the GeneratorPowerSource channel to be pretty informative when I was researching a second generator that would be capable of running the AC this summer. They have a comparison video of six different manufacturers including Generac here: https://youtu.be/MzsJ4RksYn4

If you don't care to watch 15 minutes of generator testing, there are tables of results at the end of the video.

2015 Bullet 220RBI
2019 Chevy Colorado extended cab V6 3.6 liter
KeithInUpstateNY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2018, 02:01 PM   #38
Gizmo2

I’m on the road right now and probably won’t be noon docking on the way back to Florida. So far on this trip I have survived on batteries for up to 4 days without recharging but probably pulled them lower than I should have.
I plan to purchase a portable panel system around 100 Watts. I’m still deciding whether to get a charge controller but probably will.
Gizmo2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2018, 05:28 PM   #39
Tufelhunden

I grabbed two A iPower SC2000i with the Yamaha engine. Changed the oil at one hour and four hours. First time Lois of silver second time almost got. Powered a portable AC/heater unit I use in the garage with no issue. Very quiet, now to see how they last. Snagged them at Costco for $450 each. Used the citi card to get the two year extra warranty.
Tufelhunden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2018, 06:26 AM   #40
Hblick48

I have an Onan Microlite 4000 that was installed by original owner. Powers AC no problem. I found a 3 gallon marine tank that fits into the under framing of the rig, held in with a bungee cord. I'm always ready to go. On trips when I know we will be boondocking, I carry a 6 gallon marine tank as well as a 6 gallon gas can in the bed of the pickup...not the safest thing to do, but no worse than LP that we all carry. LP fueled generators use way too much fuel, so you will be refilling often. Much easier to find gas station than propane.

I also installed a 200 watt solar system with battery controller from Renogy.com, 4 golf cart batteries in series/parallel and a 1200 watt inverter. Fished "110 volt extension cords" from inverter to entertainment center and bedroom tv. When boondocking, I plug satellite receiver and TV's into inverter extension cords. We run satellite box and TV's for 6-8 hours, no problem. 200 watts is sufficient to recharge batteries during the day for another night of boondocking, 100 watts didn't get the job done.

I put an old fashioned mechanical hour timer to control inverter. Didn't want timer to consume power. Set it to go off after we fall asleep and inverter doesn't run all night.

When we need microwave, run generator.
Hblick48 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
generator