Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Lite Weight Trailers
Click Here to Login

Old 09-22-2018, 02:54 AM   #1
C.LeeNick

Passport 197RB

I've had RV's of one type or another for decades. From a huge truck camper with a full wet bathroom, to a late 70's Terry, to the 1977 Mobile Traveler motor home my wife and I have had for about 15 years (and still have).

This year, we bought our very first brand new rig, a 2019 Passport 197RB. It's a brand new floorplan from them that was really attractive to us. Our purpose was basically to get something small and light that we could leave behind at a campsite while we're off exploring the backcountry in our 4x4 Jeep Grand Cherokee. We've done a lot of tent camping through New Mexico, Colorado, Arizona, Utah, Nevada, and California, and we've always enjoyed it, but we both decided it would be nice to be able to pull into a dry camping spot somewhere and be set up and enjoying life in minutes, rather than spending an hour putting up a tent and assorted gear. We like that about the Mobile Traveler motorhome, but of course the disadvantage is the coach has to go with us everywhere. We still plan on using it for day trips to the lake and such.

Our experience with the Passport has been mixed. Overall, it's been fun, but not without issues. The second trip out, within a couple weeks of ownership and after only perhaps 3 or 4 days of actual use, the board in the water heater failed. That was promptly replaced at the dealership when I stopped there on our return trip home. Also, one thing that attracted us to this floorplan was the giant closet in the bathroom...Unfortunately, Passport did a terrible job building the shelves in there. No supports on either end of the front edge of the two shelves. They relied upon stapling the flimsy shelf material to the front edge support to hold the shelves up..and the first shelf collapsed during our second trip out..driving perhaps 85 miles, all pavement, with perhaps 3-4 lbs of clothes on there. I had to prop it up with a hiking pole. The dealership of course said they would fix it, but also suggested using the rig a few more time to in case anything else failed. Well, third trip out, the second shelf in the big bathroom closet collapsed just like the first. Not really surprising, I guess, since they are both built the exact same way. The way they collapsed consisted of the staples along the front edge of the shelves merely pulling through the lightweight heavy gauge panelboard, or whatever they use, for the actual shelves. There was no damage to the walls, nothing actually broken, but the way the shelves kept bouncing around, I was concerned they were going to eventually pull away from the walls and do some real damage. The folks at the dealership didn't seem to understand this...it was an easy fix as is, but if they ripped away from the walls it was going to be a bigger problem. I kept propping the shelves up with a hiking pole and a stack of books.

Here's where the big screw-up on my part, that I mentioned in my introductory thread, comes in: When looking for a new pull behind, my wife and I specifically wanted something that could be used at least three seasons in our part of New Mexico. That means it had to at least withstand below freezing temps at night. Thus, we needed something that had a heated and enclosed underbelly. When I looked over the build sheet for the trailer, it specifically mentioned it has a heated and enclosed underbelly. GREAT! That's what we want!

My mistake? NOT ACTUALLY LOOKING UNDER THE TRAILER! Turns out, after our third trip out, when it was parked on our RV pad at home, I noticed from a distance a water line hanging down. I looked closely and found the trailer had no enclosed underbelly at all, let alone a heated one. Everything was exposed. That wasn't going to work. Those flimsy water lines were going to freeze up at the first hint of cold. In contacting the dealership on this, the salesman took a look at his invoice, and indeed, it also stated that unit should have had a heated and enclosed underbelly.

Now I CAN say this: Keystone has been great about all this. I've contacted them a total of three times concerning the various issues, and the people I've spoken with have always been friendly, personable, and showed empathy and understanding. When I contacted them about the underbelly issue, the woman I spoke with told me if the paperwork said it was supposed to have a heated and enclosed underbelly, then they were going to put one in. Indeed, they approved it through the dealership the same day the dealership inquired about it. That was back on the 5th of this month.

Here's where the less than exemplary part comes in: The dealership, despite all the smiling and friendly faces, has had the trailer since August 26th, and as of day before yesterday, had not yet put the underbelly in. Everybody was pointing fingers at everyone else saying "They'd get it done, don't worry", or they were "Waiting for approval of this or that, but don't worry", or "It's super busy, we're selling a lot of RV's and that has our service department swamped, but don't worry, we'll get to it", etc. etc.

Well, NONE of this made ME, they guy who just shelled out $20 grand, is making payments, and doesn't have a new RV, feel all that important to them. Not that they were mean about it. They were very nice about blowing me off, but still....

So, anyway, there's MY stupid RV mistake story. Don't believe the build sheet! Check and double check!

Of course, after them having the trailer for nearly a month (not to mention the 3 weeks they had to get everything ready to do the underbelly work before I dropped the rig off with them) without all the work being yet accomplished (They did fix the shelves, hopefully their fix will hold, and I also had a problem with the awning pulling out of the track along the wall. They've said they fixed that.) I was ready to make a scene, but again, they're so nice about being non-committal, it was tough to do. I just bit my tongue, said I wasn't very happy, and left. It didn't make it better that I'd been in the week before, saw the underbelly wasn't even started, and offered to take the trailer and bring it back when a firm installation date could be set..but the service supervisor specifically told me to go ahead and leave it, so he could have it done by this weekend.

However, Keystone still puts their name on it, and I feel they bear some responsibility for seeing to it that their dealerships are held to some kind of standard for how their customers are treated. Thus, I called Keystone once again, and once again spoke to a very kind woman who did offer to make a call to the dealership in order to find out what's going on, and perhaps light a fire under 'em. This, she did. And as of yesterday, I'm told the dealership got their tech under my rig, putting that underbelly in.

We'll see.
C.LeeNick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2018, 03:39 AM   #2
notanlines

About all I can do right now is tell you that I feel bad for you. It seems that you have done everything possible to make things go correctly. I might also add that it is important for you to post these things so that people new to the RV scene are aware of these problems. All is not always good in "camperland."
2021 40' Jayco Eagle
2001 Road king w/matching Harley sidecar
2021 Yamaha X2 Wolverine 1000
notanlines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2018, 04:04 AM   #3
C.LeeNick

Thanks. Having purchased used RV's in the past, I'm used to working on them myself, and can usually get to a problem right away...sometimes even in the field. I guess I'm not used to waiting around to fit into other people's schedules when it comes to having work done, maybe I'm expecting too much? I'd like to hear other people's experiences with their dealers. The only people I know with late model RV's, even in other states, have griped about long wait times for repairs at dealerships, or do the work themselves. It's been suggested that for me to be really happy, I should just work on this new one myself..but darn it, we bought new (and bought an extended warranty) so I wouldn't have to!

I'm considering canceling the extended warranty/service plan. If the dealership takes this much time to do factory service, it makes me wonder what I'll experience when I take it in under the extended warranty. I really don't want to be without it for weeks every time something comes up, particularly when it's something I'm fully capable of doing myself in a relatively short time.
Old 09-22-2018, 08:34 AM   #4
travelin texans

With your extended warranty you can take it anywhere you chose, doesn't have to be the selling dealer. If they will accept your warranty take it where you want.
But if you've had rvs & are capable of doing the work, cancel the policy & put that $$ away for any possible future repairs.
Replacement undetermined
travelin texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2018, 11:51 AM   #5
C.LeeNick

True. I was told I can take the RV anywhere for service, but apparently the deductible is $50 at the selling dealer, $100 everywhere else.

We might have gotten rooked on that, I don't know. Never had any kind of warranty on an RV before!

Even so, there are only 2 RV dealerships in our area. The next closest is probably Durango, Colorado, 40 miles north, or Albuquerque, 170 miles south. So our choices are limited.
Old 09-22-2018, 04:45 PM   #6
66joej

C.LeeNick
Sorry to hear about your problems with a new RV. Hope it's resolved to your satisfaction.
We have always bought used. Not cheap just hoping the teething issues are worked out on warranty before we buy.
Trouble is like you indicated the floor plan may require buying new.

2018 Ram 3500 6.4 Harvest Edition
2018 Cougar 27RESWE
66joej is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2018, 05:55 PM   #7
sourdough
Site Team

OP; thankfully your issues aren't catastrophic. The issue of having an enclosed, heated underbelly but not is, odd. Thankfully, and rightfully, Keystone stepped right up to approve the installation of the underbelly and shelving issues.

The issue I see is the dealership. As so many have found THEY are the key to either a great rv experience or pure misery. Installing the coroplast for a new underbelly is relatively quick (mine has been partially replaced once and completely once). Routing some sort of heat there might take a bit of work but it is probably already set up for that.

Making a "scene" won't accomplish anything and would probably have a negative effect on your future dealings with them. On the other hand, I would not "bite my tongue" and just be polite. Take the service manager; have him introduce you to the GM/owner for a visit; discuss your situation with both of them and your displeasure of them "putting you off" and the inconveniences it is causing you.

At this point in time they have not had your trailer for all that long (since Aug. 26). I've left mine for that long when I told them I was not in a hurry and it was a big job (pulling slides). Other times I've told them I'm in a hurry and they get it out same day or next for smaller jobs. They all know me from the GM to the techs. In your case it has been long enough IMO. Do what I recommended in the above paragraph and insist that they get it out soon and set a firm timeline. The hard part is over.....Keystone approved all the repairs; now, it is the dealers turn to get on the ball.
sourdough is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2018, 07:59 PM   #8
travelin texans

From my experience their excuses "waiting on parts/authorization" usually means someone else is bitching more/louder than you, the ole' squeaky wheel gets the grease syndrome.
I agree throwing a fit won't help, but a toe to toe with the GM probably will.
Replacement undetermined
travelin texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2018, 05:25 AM   #9
C.LeeNick

Well, here it is nearly another week passed, and the trailer still isn't done. They've had it over a month now. That's a full one-third of the time I've owned it. When I asked the salesperson where it was, because I wanted to see if I'd left some camping gear in there that I was looking for, he quipped: "We sold it." I retorted "Good! Now you can give me my money back, I'll be happy with that." I don't think he expected that response.

The latest excuse for it not being done is that they are looking for a particular size of hose to run the heat from the furnace to the underbelly...and supposedly that's it.

My question to them was: Keystone approved this back on the 5th. Why isn't the dealership using parts supplied by Keystone? The answer didn't make any sense at all. The salesperson who sold me the rig said Keystone shipping is too slow and the parts are too expensive...

What?? Keystone approved this work under their warranty...That fact I have verified with Keystone...Keystone would provide the parts for free! And they would be the correct parts.

The shipping would be too slow? I think they could have gotten the parts from Keystone since the 5th no matter how slow they were shipped. And they've had the trailer a month. Isn't that slow as well? This whole thing is BS.

My guess? The dealership is using stuff they supply so they can double the price and make a profit off Keystone on it. But now I'm left wondering if the job is even being done with factory approved parts, in a factory approved manner. I'm going to call Keystone, again, today and see if I can get them to send me pics of what the enclosed underbelly is supposed to look like, and what the parts list is supposed to be..or maybe talk to someone at Keystone who knows. The last thing I want is the underbelly collecting water, or blowing away, because it wasn't installed correctly. The trailer is sitting in their shop, and the coroplast is installed. They used an ugly amount of "Great Stuff" type foam around the area where the tank drain comes through..hope they trim that up a lot nicer, and hope it doesn't take another week for them to do it.

I'm really regretting purchasing this brand new RV, particularly from that dealer. At this point, I doubt I'll make the mistake again. Paying top dollar for a rig that's been sitting at the dealership for over a month now is really grating on me. This should not have been a month long job.
Old 09-27-2018, 06:18 AM   #10
chuckster57
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by travelin texans View Post
From my experience their excuses "waiting on parts/authorization" usually means someone else is bitching more/louder than you, the ole' squeaky wheel gets the grease syndrome.
I agree throwing a fit won't help, but a toe to toe with the GM probably will.

Or they forgot to order/ submit for auth.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2018, 06:21 AM   #11
chuckster57
Site Team

Passport 197RB

NEVER deal with a salesman when your unit is in the SERVICE department. You should be dealing with the service mgr directly if your service advisor can’t give you the information your looking for.

Sales people are there to sell. And have NO CLUE what’s going on in the service dept.

I can tell you from a current tech working at a dealership, yes shipping can be very slow. I have seen parts take 6 weeks to arrive, and I have seen the wrong part arrive when the correct part was ordered.

Is your dealer “yanking your chain”? I don’t know because I’m not there, but I would be dealing with service not sales.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
Old 09-27-2018, 06:46 AM   #12
B-O-B'03

My Premier had the same shelf issues, for every shelf in the unit.

The shelf for the mini fridge, in the outside kitchen had no support at all for the front bar, it was only attached to the, flimsy, luan shelving with staples and failed on our first outing.

Same for the shelf next to the the bathroom cabinet and the one under the kitchen sink... no structure at all, just staples through thin plywood.

Not sure who thought the design was actually workable, it is not and I just fixed them all on my own.

Good luck with getting your issues resolved, it sounds like that might actually happen.

-Brian
Old 09-27-2018, 09:16 AM   #13
flybouy
Site Team

I understand hindsight is 20/20 and doesn't help your current situation but this is a perfect example of the importance of a PDI. When purchasing our unit new I made a list of issues from the PDI and made it clear that I would not sign the contract, or take delivery until all issues were rectified. Call it incentive to get the work done. Amazing how quickly it was done. Unfortunately what you are experiencing is the norm.
Now you have some choices. Throw a fit? Probably will just alienate them. Could try complaint with the BBB but if they are the only game in town that may not work. I don't know how or if you financed this but if you did and with a local institution you may have some leverage there. Call your lender and tell them your experiences. Sometimes they can influence the dealer.
flybouy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2018, 09:49 AM   #14
C.LeeNick

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckster57 View Post
NEVER deal with a salesman when your unit is in the SERVICE department. You should be dealing with the service mgr directly if your service advisor can’t give you the information your looking for.

Sales people are there to sell. And have NO CLUE what’s going on in the service dept.

I can tell you from a current tech working at a dealership, yes shipping can be very slow. I have seen parts take 6 weeks to arrive, and I have seen the wrong part arrive when the correct part was ordered.

Is your dealer “yanking your chain”? I don’t know because I’m not there, but I would be dealing with service not sales.
Please understand the following is not meant to be argumentative. I'm merely trying to "flesh out" my experience with this dealership with extra detail, so that folks can more understand my frustration in dealing with them.

I've dealt with both the Parts & Service Manager, and the Salesman who sold me the unit, and in this case, dealing with the salesman has been far more effective. Perhaps he's looking at selling more RV's to me and mine, so sees the value of good customer service.

The Parts & Service manager is apparently off on Wednesdays. (I was there yesterday, Wednesday.) That's why I dealt with the Salesman in his stead. Frankly, when the Parts & Service Manager IS there, he's very non-committal. You cannot get a straight answer on anything.

The Parts & Service Mgr. used the "waiting for authorization" ruse last time I talked to him, and then tried to use the same excuse with the rep from Keystone when she called him for me...the rep from Keystone had to remind him that they had authorized the project back on the 5th. Apparently the Parts & Service Manager forgot with whom he was talking.

When I've dealt with the Salesman, as I did when the board in the water heater failed after our second trip out (The Parts & Service Manager was off. Wednesday again), he got one of the techs to take care of it instantly, on the spot. He also replaced the broken AC filter cover on the spot. The Parts & Service Manager, concerning the broken AC part, had told me he needed pictures, model numbers off the unit (he expected me to take the cover off), and had to wait for authorization, and Keystone to send the part, blah blah blah. The Salesman said the Parts & Service Manager often forgets all that information is on the hand written "build sheet" in the trailer. He merely took a photo of it to get all the information needed. When I had that initial experience, it gave me hope for prompt service.

Essentially, from what I've seen since, the modus operanti of the Parts & Service Manager appears to be stalling, and "kicking the can down the road".

Since it won't start freezing at night here for another month or more, I offered 2 weeks ago to take the RV so I could use it, and bring it back later, at a scheduled time, when he had all the parts for the underbelly lined out from Keystone. It was the Parts & Service Manager who told me to leave it, so he could "get right on it in the next couple days", because he "has all the stuff right there." And then he didn't start on it for another 9 days. And, apparently, he did not have "all the stuff right there"..since not having a heating duct hose is the current delay.

It's really frustrating.

Edit: The Salesman said he was pretty certain the trailer would be done before closing today, or tomorrow morn at latest. So far, he's got a much stronger track record than the Parts & Service Manager. So I do have hope.
Old 09-27-2018, 09:56 AM   #15
C.LeeNick

Quote:
Originally Posted by B-O-B'03 View Post
My Premier had the same shelf issues, for every shelf in the unit.

The shelf for the mini fridge, in the outside kitchen had no support at all for the front bar, it was only attached to the, flimsy, luan shelving with staples and failed on our first outing.

Same for the shelf next to the the bathroom cabinet and the one under the kitchen sink... no structure at all, just staples through thin plywood.

Not sure who thought the design was actually workable, it is not and I just fixed them all on my own.

Good luck with getting your issues resolved, it sounds like that might actually happen.

-Brian
That exactly describes the construction of the big shelves in the biggest closet. But only in that closet. The other smaller closets all have much thicker, stronger shelves with proper support. It's almost as if the shelves in the bigger closet were an afterthought, or built by a different guy. It reminds me of old mobile homes I've seen from the 60's and 70's. One would think someone would have figured out how NOT to build shelves by now.
Old 09-27-2018, 04:51 PM   #16
C.LeeNick

Got my trailer back.

WOOOOHOOOOO!!!

When I went to pick it up, that water heater switch wouldn't fire it up on gas anymore. Tech found a blown fuse and said he "fixed" it.

Now when I try to run the water heater on electric, it blows the 5 amp fuse behind the control panel and the water heater doesn't work at all anymore. It will work on gas with a good fuse, but as soon as I hit the switch to electric, it blows the fuse again.

NOT wooohooo.

They must have skinned or pinched a wire putting the underbelly. Man. What a bunch of nonsense.
Old 09-27-2018, 05:55 PM   #17
chuckster57
Site Team

Your not being argumentative at all, I didn’t know about the “schedules”. Your handling it in the best way that fits you. I understand and can appreciate any frustration you have with your dealer, and I hope they make it right.

Hate to say it but I think you have a bad board on your water heater again.

Old 09-27-2018, 07:16 PM   #18
C.LeeNick

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckster57 View Post
Your not being argumentative at all, I didn’t know about the “schedules”. Your handling it in the best way that fits you. I understand and can appreciate any frustration you have with your dealer, and I hope they make it right.

Hate to say it but I think you have a bad board on your water heater again.

Could be, but I did some checking, since I'm familiar with electrical, plumbing, and such. I'd been sensitive to the "bad board" issue on the water heater, so I would flip the switch every time I was in the trailer, just to make sure it was still working. My first suspicion, when it wasn't working at the dealership today, was that they'd moved a wire, disconnected something, etc. And that blew the fuse. But when I got home and it blew the fuse on AC power (it wasn't plugged in to AC at the dealership when I picked it up) my next suspicion was that they'd driven a screw through the wiring when putting in the underbelly.

Turns out, that's exactly what they did. I pulled a couple of their screws so I could get my hand up above the coroplast inside the belly. Near the dual axles, the wiring "loom" runs through the frame, and gets real close to the bottom frame rail inside the "channel" of the frame. From feeling around in that area, I can tell that from one to three self-tapping screws, holding up the coroplast, are driven into the wiring loom around the area of the dual axles.

What made it worse, was that when I took the control panel down from the wall inside the trailer, I noticed a wire pulled from the slide connector that operates the AC portion of the water heater. Someone at the dealership knew about the issue and pulled the wire. I'd used the electric portion of the water heater on two previous trips and it worked fine. I hate to think badly of this situation, but it sure appears that someone at the dealership tried to "hide" the problem. Likely so that I wouldn't "find" the problem until later, and it could be billed as a new warranty issue.

So, now the issue is, I'll be calling Keystone again tomorrow, and they're going to replace wiring. I'm not going to accept a "cut and splice" fix on this. The trailer is brand new.

I'm not at all happy about this.
Old 09-28-2018, 06:57 AM   #19
LuvsPalmTrees

I am so sorry that you are having so many issues. It really does sound like your dealership is giving you the run around. With this next trip in - get a schedule in writing as to when everything will be done. Don't let them jerk you around. You have been very nice and tolerant - now it is time to take control of them. I would tell them like it is and this is what I expect and have it all typed up and make them sign one and then give them a copy. I would get a person's number that I could call to follow up weekly. Don't give them a chance to jerk you around again. Good Luck
LuvsPalmTrees is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2018, 07:06 AM   #20
chuckster57
Site Team

I wouldn’t be happy or real polite at this point. TAKE PICTURES!!! Even if you have to disconnect the wire behind the panel for a pic.

Documentation can be the difference between a good resolution and total frustration. After your satisfied with the repairs, I would stay far far away from that dealer.

Tags
passport