Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Towing
Click Here to Login

Old 07-12-2018, 10:59 AM   #1
Jefster

How long before replacing factory tires

I just got our new TT, so almost no miles on the tires yet. But my old Jayco came with Goodyears, this new passport has something like Tow King?
I've heard enough horror stories that I am wondering, how long do you use those tires from the factory before you switch them out for something better?
Jefster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2018, 11:05 AM   #2
zuley

I suspect the majority of the responces will be "immediately". I ran mine for three years with no grief but I suspect I am one of the lucky ones.
zuley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2018, 11:56 AM   #3
notanlines

Jefster, this site and others are cram-packed full of horror stories surrounding Tow-Max, Tow-King and the like. Search a little and mine will come up to the tune of $9,000. I would recommend a trip to Walmart.com and invest in a set of Carlisle tires presently in the neighborhood of $70.00 each, maybe less. There are a number of brands that come recommended from numerous sites; Carlisle, Sailun, Maxxis. Sailuns probably top the list, but all are good brands. Research this site. Lots and lots of good info.
2021 40' Jayco Eagle
2001 Road king w/matching Harley sidecar
2021 Yamaha X2 Wolverine 1000
notanlines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2018, 12:21 PM   #4
sourdough
Site Team

Jefster,

I'm one of the ones that would suggest removing them as soon as you can. I waited until my 2nd season (unfortunately) then mine blew and did $7k in damages.

I know there are folks that have used them for years like Zuley but I think if you look at this and other forums you will find far too many stories of the poor construction and self destruction of the tires.

To me, for you, I would be extremely worried about pulling a 39' trailer with 11 people in a van, possibly overloaded (weights will tell), then have one of these come apart and send you careening down the roadway. YMMV
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2018, 12:44 PM   #5
MattE303

yup, get rid of those China Bombs ASAP! Do some reading, particularly in the Tires! Tires! Tires! forum. I would go up a load range from the OEM tires, and stick with the brands others here recommend.

2002 Ford F350 7.3 Super Duty XLT 4x4 CC LB SRW -- Pullrite Super 5th 16K
2017 Keystone Carbon 337
2022 Honda CRF-450R
MattE303 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2018, 01:07 PM   #6
cynjon

What they said...

I bought a new 2015 5er in 2017, and rolled the dice for a year with the still new (but 3 years old) Trailer Kings. I didn't have any issues, but wasn't going to gamble on another year. I bought the $67 Carlisles from Amazon, went up a Load range from D to E, and sleep much better at night knowing that my $260 investment was likely to greatly reduce my chances of a several thousand dollar blowout repair.
cynjon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2018, 01:11 PM   #7
tim5055

I consider myself an outlier when it comes to tires. I do not like the China tires all the manufacturers seem to use, but I personally feel many of the issues are due to road hazard rather than the low quality of the tire.

To answer the question, I changed all five on our 2014 Coachmen Freedom Express 297RLDS after 1 year. I have not changed the 3 tires on our 2015 Aliner yet.

Now, to the question not asked - Shortly after we purchased the 2014 Coachmen I purchased this package from PressurePro https://tirepressuremonitor.com/prod...age-8-sensors/

In addition to the Coachmen we have a Aliner for back country trips and I will not tow either camper without the TPMS

They alert to either over-pressure or under-pressure and have now saved me four times.

Three times I have picked up road debris (nails ect.) in a single tire and the slow leak was detected and alerted to me in sufficient time to exit the highway and have repairs made. The fourth time was a crack in one of the tow vehicle tire valve stems.

All four times I'm sure had I not had the TPMS the tire affected would have leaked to the point of the tire overheating and a catastrophic failure. On every occasion once I was able to stop in a place of safety and look at the tire causing the alarm I noticed no distinct observable difference from the others. Only with a tire gauge was I able to verify the low pressure condition. So, at a casual glance at a fuel stop if I didn't have the TPMS I don't think I would have seen the "low" tire.

This has led me to believe that many of the reports of "junk Chinese" tires failing are really road debris/leakage failures that lowered the pressure in the tire to the point of catastrophic failure. Folks don't know what they don't know. You have a catastrophic tire failure without a TPMS and you just figure "Chinese junk tires". With a TPMS you find out exactly how often we pick up road debris and get a leak in a tire.

I have now swapped all rubber valve stems for metal.

Friends don't let friends tow without a TPMS system!!
Old 07-12-2018, 01:36 PM   #8
Laredo Tugger

OK, I have to ask. This thread presents a good opportunity to throw out an idea. Here goes.......
The tire blows and starts to separate and as it spins it extends out and makes contact with the top of the wheel well and tears into the material above it (let's go with plywood that is part of the slide construction) and then proceeds to "grab" whatever it can to destroy in the wheel well,plumbing,electrical and structural components ect.. of the camper.
I think we all agree with this scenario. I have seen on here where some have installed diamond plate (heavy? and lots of screws) above the tire inside the wheel well. I was wondering if half inch (or 3/4"?) PVC (Schd 40, the thick stuff) pipe pieces laid horizontal (in line with tire travel direction) and screwed in on the ends only (less screws,less chance of drilling to critical components) would be a lightweight material that would "conform" to the strikes by the tire and still be sturdy enough to take a hit. Maybe 8-10 pieces in each wheel well should work. If you have ever struck this pipe material from the side, you know it is tough stuff,especially if it moves a bit. Just thinking of a lightweight material that could "flex" a little and take the impact of a blown tire.
Crazy?
P.S. No I have not done this or know anyone that has. Am I willing to be the first? Depends on the feedback here.
RMc
Laredo Tugger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2018, 01:36 PM   #9
MattE303

Quote:
Originally Posted by tim5055 View Post
Now, to the question not asked - Shortly after we purchased the 2014 Coachmen I purchased this package from PressurePro https://tirepressuremonitor.com/prod...age-8-sensors/
link doesn't work.

2002 Ford F350 7.3 Super Duty XLT 4x4 CC LB SRW -- Pullrite Super 5th 16K
2017 Keystone Carbon 337
2022 Honda CRF-450R
MattE303 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2018, 02:29 PM   #10
CWtheMan

Do your tires have a load capacity, when inflated to the vehicle manufacturers recommended inflation pressures, that is 10% higher than the certified GAWR axles maximum load?

Underinflated tires and vehicle overloading is much more important than DOT certified tires that have sufficient load capacity reserves.

Vehicle scales are your friend. They will tell you where your vehicle weights rest and assist you in managing imbalanced conditions.
CWtheMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2018, 04:23 PM   #11
tim5055

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattE303 View Post
link doesn't work.
https://tirepressuremonitor.com/prod...age-8-sensors/
Old 07-12-2018, 05:44 PM   #12
Canonman

We replaced our TK original equipment tires after the first season worrying about when they might BLOW!
Bought the Carlisles at Walmart two seasons ago and did go up one load rating, D to E. Had a regular tire dealer mount them with new metal valve stems. Then added a TST 507 TPMS with flow through sensors http://www.greatrvproducts.com/onlin...EaAjQREALw_wcB.
Just finished a 2k mile trip to central Oregon and had total peace of mind
I'd say do it as soon as you can. You won't regret it!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Proxy Falls 2018 (11 of 11).jpg
Views:	172
Size:	440.1 KB
ID:	17441  
I think the little voices in my head have started a chat group.
Canonman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2018, 06:44 AM   #13
flybouy
Site Team

My advise would be before you take delivery. Sounds like it's too late perhaps but negotiate with your dealer on swapping them out before you hit the road. JMHO YMMY
flybouy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2018, 11:46 PM   #14
CWtheMan

Quote:
Originally Posted by flybouy View Post
My advise would be before you take delivery. Sounds like it's too late perhaps but negotiate with your dealer on swapping them out before you hit the road. JMHO YMMY
It's very difficult for a dealer to change tires, especially before the papers are signed. That's because they are not authorized to change certification labels for anything other than a vehicle manufacturer recommended option.

Tires on a new vehicles are normally registered by the manufacturer and kept on file for 5 years.

Changing brands without changing sizes is not a problem for the dealer. They may even go up a load range if the tire size remains the same.

This is a statement found in the Keystone 2019 generic owner's manual. It hasn't changed for years: To maintain tire safety, purchase new tires that are the same size as the vehicle’s original tires or another size recommended by the manufacturer. It's a canned statement found in just about all RV trailer tire owner manuals. To explain it's validity is a long drawn-out process. It can be charted to the vehicle certification rules under CFR 49 part 567.
CWtheMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2018, 02:40 AM   #15
stolly23

Oh boy. I am starting to regret finding this forum. Lol. But actually starting to regret buying the cougar. What i have learned so far is cant use it without adding a second ac and cant use it until you replace the brand new tires. Did I buy a junk camper? Plastic sinks, plastic faucets, half plastic toilets. I downgraded by the sounds of things. I want my jayco back
stolly23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2018, 03:29 AM   #16
Jefster

Ok so here's a dumb question, some have said I can get tires at Walmart, but how is Walmart going to change the tires on my trailer? They could barely handle changing the tires in my van the last time I brought it there, certainly they aren't putting my trailer up on the lift and changing putting new tires on it. Or do you have to bring the RV to the dealer to do it?
Old 07-16-2018, 03:58 AM   #17
KCSA75

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jefster View Post
Ok so here's a dumb question, some have said I can get tires at Walmart, but how is Walmart going to change the tires on my trailer? They could barely handle changing the tires in my van the last time I brought it there, certainly they aren't putting my trailer up on the lift and changing putting new tires on it. Or do you have to bring the RV to the dealer to do it?
If you have Discount Tire in your area, go there. They quoted me four Carlisle's for my Cougar, mounted and balanced (in 45 minutes or less) for about $400.

"Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it." — Ferris Bueller
KCSA75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2018, 04:38 AM   #18
Jefster

I'm looking at my local discount tire, and I'm not seeing too many options for the carlisles. Is brand more important than rating? The Carlisles I'm finding are only D load, but I could move up to an E load rating with tires from Taskmaster or Hartland. But I've never heard of them, and they haven't been recommended on this site from what I can find.
Old 07-16-2018, 04:46 AM   #19
theasphaltrv'er

Jefster..What is the GVWR & do you know what the travel weight is as it's going down the road fully loaded.
Let me attack it from the other direction.
I'm of the belief that the lighter trailers don't have the problems with the so called "China Bombs" as the heavier trailers do. Sure all tires manufactures will have some problem tires. Our past 2 TT 's & 5th wheel (27 yrs worth of travels) all have weighted in the neighborhood of 8500 lbs fully loaded with GVWR of 9600 lbs. We have run only D rated Duro's, Max Tow, Greenball, and some other "China Bombs" and never (knock on wood) have had a blow out. Had one Duro develop a bubble and a fender support break and get into the tire and cause one to peel thread, but they did not blow. Running Trailer Kings now and have 4 years on em with a little over 6500 miles. We keep em covered and put 303 Protestant on em and make sure they are at 65 lbs and run no faster than 63-65 mph. So IMO, China Bombs are ok if used on the lighter trailers. Looking to replace the Trailer Kings this fall. JMO
Life is fantastic & gettin
better every day
theasphaltrv'er is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2018, 05:03 AM   #20
flybouy
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by stolly23 View Post
Oh boy. I am starting to regret finding this forum. Lol. But actually starting to regret buying the cougar. What i have learned so far is cant use it without adding a second ac and cant use it until you replace the brand new tires. Did I buy a junk camper? Plastic sinks, plastic faucets, half plastic toilets. I downgraded by the sounds of things. I want my jayco back
This is a forum, is not a manufactures help desk so you are reading OPINIONS and PERSONAL EXPERIENCES, not GOSPEL. There are folks here with a great deal of knowledge and experience and some folks who work on campers for a living. For me personally I tend to add more merit to the opinion of someone who's seen it, worked on it a hundred times as opposed to someone who did it once or read about it and postulate their opinions as fact. Consider this forum like a communal campfire, a bunch of good intentioned folks that you don't know, never meet that are trying to help. As for your regrets for your purchase I don't think those sinks, toilets, or any other article or quality of craftsmanship has changed since the first time you stepped into the camper. People tend to get blinded when making a new purchase of a house, RV, boat, house etc. by the "oh isn't that pretty" or "look how big this is compared to our old camper" and tend to stop looking with an unbiased view. It's happened to all but the most cynical of us (and I think they are just to embarrassed to admit it). I hope you get things settled and can enjoy your new camper and make delightful memories for you and your family.
flybouy is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
tires